Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
57,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have espoused for a very long time, you need to swerve to be seen.

I constantly make posts about how I come to a stop at intersections, and when traffic is behind me, I swerve from Lane Edge to Lane Edge.....

And I do that at every intersection that I approach... :|
If there is a car there, I point the bike directly at them and make the swerving even more obvious....

this video made by a Professional Crash Safety Course Instructor pushes this practice hard, and he shows you why you need to do it also.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I also do it though not at every stop. I use it mostly for tailgaters. Seems to scare the bejesus out of 95% of them.

·
Administrator
57,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also do it though not at every stop. I use it mostly for tailgaters. Seems to scare the bejesus out of 95% of them.
I forgot to mention that....

most of them seem to stay about 3 car lengths behind me....
which is a Good Thing IMO, a lot better than them being so close you can't even see the windshield of their car. Guess they like to sniff the glue on our license plates? :frown2:

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I just press and release the brake handle a couple times as I approaching a stop to flash the lights,

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have espoused for a very long time, you need to swerve to be seen.

I constantly make posts about how I come to a stop at intersections, and when traffic is behind me, I swerve from Lane Edge to Lane Edge.....

And I do that at every intersection that I approach... :|
If there is a car there, I point the bike directly at them and make the swerving even more obvious....

this video made by a Professional Crash Safety Course Instructor pushes this practice hard, and he shows you why you need to do it also.

I agree and will do more of it as I live in the land of distracted drivers looking at their Tesla screens or iPhones.

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
"Swerve to be seen." might also be "Stand still to be not seen." Movement draws attention.
I recall reading an interview of Wyatt Earp where he was asked to explain why he thought he remained unscathed at the OK Corral. His reply was thoughtful, he said that the mind focused on movement so he made it a habit to stand still and become part of the background.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
There are no laws preventing a motorcyclist from weaving as long as you stay in your lane. If a cop stops you for that, its harassment!
Probably there is none for the car either if you stay in your lane. It just indicates the rider is old/tired/under influence/Asian or all the above

·
Administrator
57,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But a car can't do much in the way of swerving w/o crossing lane lines.

Whereas a M/C can make a very effective left/right swerving action and remain inside the lane w/o touching the lane lines.

We want to be seen and swerves gets attention.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts