Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently upgraded my 1981 GL1100 by adding an 82 swingarm and 83 11-spoke wheels with a 140/90-16 continental TK17 touring tire. Problem is the darn wheel rubs a little between the brake arm and the right side of the swingarm! Continental says the tire should fit both 82 and 83 GL1100. I know others who have done the upgrade without incident. Can anyone figure out what might be going on?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

140 seems a tad wide, isn't it supposed to be a 130 on the rear? If the tire is rubbing on both sides then it's plain too wide and fitting spacers is no good. It's hard to know what to suggest.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Davebear. The GL1100 swingers were hardly state fo the art, the 81 (I think) had the legs welded in the wrong place so that the back wheel was way off track compared to the front. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the later ones have inconsistent space between the legs. Either way, if your tyre is hitting on both sides you have a real problem. You could grind some of the brake arm away and fit a spacer on the other side as well, this might give you the clearance you need.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I have considered giving the brake stop arm a good smack with the old sledge hammer!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The 82 and 83 GL1100 should be able to hold a 140/90-16. Perhaps the combination of an 83 wheel on an 82 swingarm just won't work with the TK17 conti tire.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Does anybody know what the difference is between an 82 and 83 swingarm? The part numbers are different and I suspect perhaps the 83 is a little wider where the tire runs trough. Thanks in advance.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Dave, My understanding is that there is almost 10mm of a difference between the 82 & 83 (at the welded end). I've seen the transplant done, but usually with the 83 wheel changed over as well.
There were two different swingers for 1980 & 81, another one for 1982 and yet another one for 1983. Thats 4 different swingers for the whole production run.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

There is a difference, I think it could be more like 8mm. The difference gets less of course as the swingarm legs get nearer the wheel centre, but I think its stil about 4mm at the outer diameter of the wheel. Honda had loads of grief with the swingarm on the 1100, lots of the early one welded up wrongly. They issued spacer kits to pull the back wheel more into line but it was still not perfect. The 83 swingarm was better sorted. I've seen a few 82s upgraded with front and back wheels and swingarm (and brakes) from 83 crashed bikes.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Fitzal,

Thanks, I thought there must be some width difference. That would explain why the tire is tight. I have an 83 swingarm on its way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.