Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Its hard to see through my windshield with headlights and sum time the sun is there a way to bring my windshield back to life or do I need to find a new one. Scratches aren't too bad/hardly noticable otherwise.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

There is a scrathch remover auto body shops use, it's for 1500 to 2000 grit scratches. It's around 20 bucks a bottle but will last years for what you need it for. It goes on with a really damp all most wet cloth and just polish it till the scratches clear up. Then add a coat of good car wax to finish the job. Mine was junk when I bought it used, could hardly see through it at all, now it's almost perfect. The car wax makes it easy to remove the bugs as well. This scratch remover is sold just about everywhere car wax is sold, PEP boys, VIP auto centers, NAPA , Canadian tire and many more places.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Some guys swear by Lemon Pledge, but I found Plexus works wonders for filling in minor scratches to prevent the halo effect at night.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

I use the Deluxe + kit on my Tulsa windshield. (about 3/4 of the page down, part #10006 cost: $24.95) This kit has lasted me a few years. Windshield looks as new. The cleaner also will take out small scratches, while the polish will fill in (to a certain extent) any remaining scratches.

http://www.allamericanprod.com/tulsaacc.html

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

If the windshield isn't too bad, Lemon Pledge will work fine and it takes bugs off good, too. Just don't ever clean the windshield with windex (or equivalent) I had been cleaning my windshield with windex and like you, every time I rode into the sun or at night it was really irritating since I couldn't see out. One treatment with pledge solved that. I'd try the pledge first, then if yours is too scratched, you can go with the other polishes, but, after polishing, remember to not use windex to clean.
Hope this helps.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Good post fellas. I used glass cleaner to clean my windshield and I have experienced that halo effect but had no idea it was even correctable. Now I gotta go dive into the cleaner closet and see if I can dig out the can of Pledge that's gotta be in there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
imported post

Windex has amonia in it and for plastie it will eat up your windshild:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Another bit of useful information is always clean and polish with continuous motion up and down, sideways, whatever but not in circles, the "wax on wax off" will leave swirl marks. All cleaning/polishing rags pick up micron sizes of dirt, this dirt (you can't see it) cause ever so small scratches, over a period of time you start seeing swirls marks. Clean rag every time, and straight strokes. ;)

OK, your asking about the rotor polishers, in a professionals hand they are still difficult to use properly. If you watch a professional, he is using it lightly with lots of pad changes. But, if you are doing a custom job no machine.:)

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Yes, definitely, absolutely, positively, confirm that you are using as soft a cloth as you can find, straight lines, no paper towels. Paper towels have micro wood fibers in it and will put the fine scratches back in. Turn the cloth regularly, change it often, and you'll be a happy, scratch free camper.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

anyone ever here of toothpaste?
thats what is use.
take a damp towel,put a little toothpaste on it use circular motion. them i wipe it off with another damp towel

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Pledge or Plexus. I've used both and have better luck and results with Plexus. And as stated, use an up and down motion, never circular.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Yep, I vote for Plexus too, It works so good, It's almost Magic.

You will see the results and think to yourself, "Hmmmm, Must not have been that Bad"

Then in a few days to a week, it will be back and you will see how bad it was.

Plexus beats anything I have tried and I only use it on crummy windshields.

It's awesome stuff. "White Mans Magic"

Mohawk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.