Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Switch and Control Lighting for 1800

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  afitch 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum and to its format. So, if I break a rule or rules of decorum, please chalk it up to ignorance not arrogance.

I have an 08 GW 1800 with 102,000 miles on it. I took the bike to the local Honda dealer, its under an extended warranty, to have the lights in both handlebar control clusters, the four display functions switches, and the headlight adjustment and the Pre-Load adjustment controls replaced. After the dealer replaced the illumination by replacing wiring bundles, I hoped that all would be OK. Currently, none of the Pre-Load control switches are lit, the high and low beam switch is not lit, the rheostat knob of the headlight adjustment system does not appear to be lit and I was informed that none of the multi-Display control switches have lights. Could it be that the Honda engineers did not want you messing with the Pre-Load control switches while the bike was in motion? Is the high/low beam switch also not lighted for a similar reason. Finding the correct multi-Display switch at night with heated gloves is almost impossible, not seeing where the rheostat for headlight control is pointed is problematic. Any ideas!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Gus, the pictures look normal to me. I agree that lighting some of the unlit switches would have made finding them at night easier but I find I don't really go looking for most of that stuff when riding at night, as for the pre-load, while many of us would like it to work with the bike in motion, it doesn't and as far as I know, no one has found a work around for that. I stopped trying to figure out what Mother Honda was thinking years ago.

#3 ·
I think the only one that needs to be lit and is not is the high/low switch. I remember the first time I took my 08 out at night and trying to find that switch. I guess you should be so familiar with it that you don't have to look for switches. I modified mine so that the turn signal cancel switch operated the display and so I could adjust the suspension on the fly but never used that again after installing progressive springs.

#4 ·
Gus, the area (4 switches) under your instrumentation display is not illuminated from the factory but Electrical Connection has a kit that will light that up for you... I ordered one a few weeks ago and they are on B/O right now but it is available for around 25 bucks...

Welcome to the best Gold Wing Forum on the Internet:cheesygrin:

Les

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.