Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone that you know ever switched from a Goldwing to one of those newer "maxi-scooters" (i.e. 400-650cc)? I like my '85 Aspy, but most of my miles are just scooting around town. Might consider something like the Burgman or the Yamaha Majesty, since it would be capable of doing some touring (to a limited degree).

Any experience or thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Seems to me you are missing out on the long legged aspect of owning a wing
I put up with traffic on mine cuz I know it will take me anywhere I want to go!!!!!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

From what I read about the "maxi-scooters" from their owners, these will do the same thing. One guy that I read about went on a trip from LA to Des Moines to Houston and back to LA on his Burgman. I see pictures of them everywhere from Alaska to Key West. Smaller gas tank, but more mpg. works out about the same. Roughly 150-180 miles per tank.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
...Goldwing to one of those newer "maxi-scooters...
Blasphemy. :headbanger::headbanger: :headbanger:

:alco: :doh:
That's what I've always thought.And I'm not sure that I disagree now. I was just wondering if anyone knew someone who had "made the switch" and what they felt now.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I have several friends with big scooters and they all love them. Burgman 400, Burgman 650, Honda Silverwing 400, Vespa 250, and a couple Helixs. Modern scoots handle well, have good power and good weather protection. I myself have put hundreds of thousands of miles on Vespas.

Q

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Q wrote:
I have several friends with big scooters and they all love them. Burgman 400, Burgman 650, Honda Silverwing 400, Vespa 250, and a couple Helixs. Modern scoots handle well, have good power and good weather protection. I myself have put hundreds of thousands of miles on Vespas.

Q
Good information. Now . . . 2 questions:

1. Have they ever had Goldwings, and

2. If so, how would they compare the experience, especially with the Burgmans and Silverwing.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

norton wrote:
Scooter rhymes with Neuter

Coincidence???
I guess that leads to the question of how do you define "motorcycle"? Is is by motor size, storage capability, horsepower, ??? With the way these new "maxi-scooters" are going, I think the line is being blurred. The major difference is that with a true motorcycle, you have to shift manually, and these scooters are "twist-n-go."

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I met a dentist that bought a scooter brand new. He had not ridden since he was a teenager, and when the the price of gas was really high, he got this scooter. At the time, he did not feel comfortable with getting a big cruiser yet, but that was his plan.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

So he plans on going from scooter to big cruiser. I wonder if anyone has gone the other direction and still been happy.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've ridden the Suzuki Burgman 650 and would sure like one as a second bike. That machine may be a scooter but it will outperform more than a few bikes.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Well, I'm gonna come right out and say it: there are a lot of Wing riders who would benefit from the switch, especially those of you who never camp, who credit card tour in motels or cabins, or who never take multi-day trips. And those of you (age-challenged?) for whom wrestling a big bike around town is getting to be just "too much."

Red and I (as some of you have probably heard a nauseating amount of times) once spent two months roaming Europe in a campervan. The most interesting part of the trip was when we rented a bike for ten days and toured Switzerland. Since we were nearly out of money, all we could afford to rent was a 600cc Honda Silverwing scooter (much to my disgust).

Well, I wasn't disgusted ten days later! I grew to love that scoot, which carried us two-up over the higher passes of Europe without even gasping for breath.... It gobbled up corners like a cat on fire! There was enough room under the seat to carry raingear, toiletries, a spare pair of undies or two..... and with a couple of credit cards and a setup like this, you could tour America from border to border and sea to sea. I think our Siverwing experience set me up to buy a smaller bike when we totaled our 1500, and I was within an eye-blink of buying a Burgman.

If you don't need all that cargo space, why buy it and give yourself a coronary wrestling it around the local Dairy Queen? Why trike it (and get a coronary worrying about how to pay for it) when you can drop 200-300 pounds and squirt around the roads again? Try a scoot..... you just might like them; I got a feeling one's gonna be in my future someday!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Well, I'm gonna come right out and say it: there are a lot of Wing riders who would benefit from the switch, especially those of you who never camp, who credit card tour in motels or cabins, or who never take multi-day trips. And those of you (age-challenged?) for whom wrestling a big bike around town is getting to be just "too much."

Red and I (as some of you have probably heard a nauseating amount of times) once spent two months roaming Europe in a campervan. The most interesting part of the trip was when we rented a bike for ten days and toured Switzerland. Since we were nearly out of money, all we could afford to rent was a 600cc Honda Silverwing scooter (much to my disgust).

Well, I wasn't disgusted ten days later! I grew to love that scoot, which carried us two-up over the higher passes of Europe without even gasping for breath.... It gobbled up corners like a cat on fire! There was enough room under the seat to carry raingear, toiletries, a spare pair of undies or two..... and with a couple of credit cards and a setup like this, you could tour America from border to border and sea to sea. I think our Siverwing experience set me up to buy a smaller bike when we totaled our 1500, and I was within an eye-blink of buying a Burgman.

If you don't need all that cargo space, why buy it and give yourself a coronary wrestling it around the local Dairy Queen? Why trike it (and get a coronary worrying about how to pay for it) when you can drop 200-300 pounds and squirt around the roads again? Try a scoot..... you just might like them; I got a feeling one's gonna be in my future someday!
I really appreciate your perspective. I've been thinking some of the same things. The only place where I might differ is that, with a scooter and a small trailer, you can do just as much camping, etc. as with a 'Wing, and multi-day trips aren't out of the question either. Thanks for this post!

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

All of the guys have had big bikes in the past but no Goldwings. One had a full dress touring HD, another a big Kawasaki. They love their scooters and wouldn't go back.

Take a test ride. Nothing sissy about scooters IMO. They'll outrun and out corner a lot of bigger bikes.

Q

lstarett wrote:
Q wrote:

Q
Good information. Now . . . 2 questions:

1. Have they ever had Goldwings, and

2. If so, how would they compare the experience, especially with the Burgmans and Silverwing.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Why can't you have both?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,711 Posts
imported post

hey all, nuther perspective.

If your legs are not as strong as they used to be, and a wing of any vintage is more than you can handle....

Then a scoot just might be the only ticket you have available to "ride in the wind". Isn't this the only reason that we ride our bikes? To be free from cageville?

My Fair Lady is now an amputee. I am fully thinking that my first acquisition in a few months is going to be a Burgman 650. Why? Cuz my Fair Lady could just plop down on the top of the seat, use her one good foot to kick off and ride to her heart's content.

If that isn't freedom, then I don't know how to describe it.

Then later I will get me an 1800 or the cleanest 1500 I can find. But that comes after I take care of my Fair Lady's needs first.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i was bobbing around on a burgman for two weeks before christmas, it was brought to me with bent forks, ( the guy who owned it decided he needed an emergengy piddle, parked the scoot jumped over a wall and did his deed, he left it running, and it got swipped with a couple of kids,he got it back the followng morning from the cops,the kids hit a parkedcar), anyway he came to me, i told him if he got the parts i'd fix it for him, so he did, he said he was going away on holiday for two weeks and couldnt pay me till he got back, which i said ok, but whilst its at my home i'll use it, i did the job in a couple of days, and ran it for just over two weeks, i could'nt believe just how nimble it was, the guy picked it up when he got back off his vacation, paid me, give me a bonus and a suvenier from his winter cruise, i said to joyce after he went, i gonna miss that little bike, and i said i wanted one for dodging around on, joyce said, get one and i'll use the bus, she wont go on any other bike other than a wing or the gl500 silverwing i had

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

The burghman 650 or the silverwing are fantastic scooters and did you all know that our very own boss Steve Saunders rides a Burghman 650 as his daily transport ,

They are fast very comfortable and you stay drier than on a wing ,But one thing that is a failing for them ,.. The gas tank is too small and you will only get around a 100 miles from a tank and no matter what stories you hear about 150 to 200 miles to a tank they must have been travelling half of the time with the engine switched off :DThey are not heavy on gas ,the tank is just too small for long trips , If you are doing around town riding ,you will find it hard to beat a burghman or a silverwing .The Burghman executive has the edge with its electric screen and mirrors ,

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.