Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Need to install a couple of switches on my 1500 but be damned if I can find a suitable location. I've seen those switch blocks that mount on the front brake reservoir but they won't work for me because I need a SPDT switch for my heated grip.

Suggestions, pictures please.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

HI:

Also haveSE. Was pondering installingSPST switch or 2 onWing. My proposed location: panel coveringignition switch[mine hasWing's VIN on it]. Panel'seasily removableand there's room enough under it for switches, iflocation is picked with care. My2 cents. TTFN.....Old Tom

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Couldn't you just replace one of the SPST switches in the switch box with an SPDT switch?

Or usethis to make your own.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
imported post

You can replace the ignition cover with one from www.wingmeter.com

Here is what I done with mine. I ordered the blank cover ($59 + shipping). It will be color matched to your bike.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,828 Posts
imported post

Thes are just push button switches but there is plenty of room for toggle switches and easily accessable.

Attachments

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Couldn't you just replace one of the SPST switches in the switch box with an SPDT switch?

That was my hope actually but trying to locate the switch has been a problem. I contacted Cyclemax and they don't have a SPDT available for the switch box.

My son however gave me an alternate idea. I could use the switch box and just use a separate switch for each of the Hi and Low circuits.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

dingdong wrote:
Thes are just push button switches but there is plenty of room for toggle switches and easily accessable. 
Snorebaby wrote:
You can replace the ignition cover with one from www.wingmeter.com

Here is what I done with mine. I ordered the blank cover ($59 + shipping). It will be color matched to your bike.

These are both great suggestions. I was contemplating putting the switches in the ignition cover but then thought I would have the hassle of removing the connections to the switches every time I needed to remove the cover.

Wasn't aware of the Wingmeter part. Interesting idea and would give me a place to mount a voltmeter.

Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I mounted my illuminated switch for my aux driving lamps on the left side 'dash' panel.

Seeing as I have an Aspencade and not the SE, (no stock CB) I installed a cigarette lighter, the SPDT switch for my grip heaters and a Powerlet outlet for my heated clothing, in the blank CB panel, on the left side of the fairing. Sorry no pic as my bike is back West at the moment.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
imported post

cbx4evr wrote:
dingdong wrote:
Snorebaby wrote:
You can replace the ignition cover with one from http://www.wingmeter.com

These are both great suggestions. I was contemplating putting the switches in the ignition cover but then thought I would have the hassle of removing the connections to the switches every time I needed to remove the cover.

Wasn't aware of the Wingmeter part. Interesting idea and would give me a place to mount a voltmeter.

Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the ideas.
I thought of that AFTER I made all those connections on the Wingmeter cover. So my solution....I purchased a repair kit from www.vintageconnections.com

This is the kit I purchased (CK-5). I will run the power wires (from my aux. fuseblock) to a 6pin connection to connectthe powerin one place. Then the "out" wires to the accessories will be connected to another connector. I haven't counted the wires yet to know what #pin connector I will need. But this will accomplish having only 2 connections (maybe 3) to unhookand remove the ignition cover. Plus it will look "Factory installed".;)

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Great idea. I'm a fan of Vintage Connections and never thought of that. I could do everything and have room to spare with a single 9 pin connector.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.