Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I find the idea of a switch to put the fans on when the temp gauge starts to go up past the half way mark a good idea but I would like to hear from a guru as to what is wrong with the idea.

I have been stuck in road works a couple of times recently and the temp has gone up above the half way mark.

I know the fans are working and would cut in but I would have been happy to have switched them on before the temp started to clime much above the halfway mark.

Once I got going again the temp gauge came back down to normal.

I think all that I would need is a switch between a wire that runs from the temp censor to earth.

Thanks For Your Help

Keith.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

I don't see an issue with it as long as you don't eliminate the temp switch in favour of the manual switch. You want the temp switch to continue to spin up the fan for those times you aren't paying attention to your guages. Besides, it's the thermostats job to keep the engine at the appropriate temperature for peak performance, not the fan.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

It would appear by what you are saying that your fans are working fine, coming on when they are suppose to and cooling to a point the manufacturer set...........

I don't see why you would want to change it if it's working properly.

I would also consider resale. I know if I was looking at a bike to purchase the owner can tell me all he wants to, but if I see an add on fan switch, I have no choice but to assume the worst and the engine has had an over heating related issue........

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
It would appear by what you are saying that your fans are working fine, coming on when they are suppose to and cooling to a point the manufacturer set...........

I don't see why you would want to change it if it's working properly.

I would also consider resale. I know if I was looking at a bike to purchase the owner can tell me all he wants to, but if I see an add on fan switch, I have no choice but to assume the worst and the engine has had an over heating related issue........
+1

JD

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Keith, I have run fan switches on alot of my bikes, does not hurt anything. All though I have not put one on the my G/W. Mine never seems to get above the 4 bar mark (SEI).

I run the light switch switches, that way you know it's on or off.

Pretty easy to hook up really. I use the sencor at the rad.

Most bike use a single wire or two wire sencor. BTW: using a switch does NOT keep the bike from bring on the fan it's self.

Single wire sencor:

Run one side of your switch to the sencor wire at the rad.

I just tap right into the sencor wire at the rad. with out cutting it.

Run the other wire from your switch to a ground on the bike. Thats it! You can now turn the fan on and off anytime you want, also if you have the switch off the bike will still bring it on when it needs to.

2wire rad. sencor;

Tap both sides of your switch into both sencor wires at the rad. That it!

All your doing with this set up is fooling the PC on the bike the it is hotter than it is by grounding the sencor befor it really has.

It does not hurt the system of the bike or keep the bike from turning on the fan itself.

I put alot of switches in bikes here in town. I as well as others have to go into the city and there is alot of stop and go traffic. It's nice just to turn on the fan and leave it until you get get out of traffic and get moving again.

BTW: This is a good back up to the sencor at the rad. If it should fail and go bad you can still bring the fan on with a bad sencor.

Never had a resale problem around here with a fan switch installed. Most folks here have a brain in therehead and want them install to start with. Gets pretty hot in the summer around here.

I will say this though, on a hot day with the fan running in stop and go traffic you will cook your lower legs a bit.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

I don't think you need a switch on the GL1500 as they were never known to have an overheating problem. Your fans seems to be coming on when they should.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Kurt all that you have said is just what I wanted to hear thanks for your help.

My switch will have a light on it.
Keith

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I plan to install the switch too. I just installed a new console housing between the radio and ignition key for additional gauges. I also installed some switches therewhich one will be for the fan. I just have not routed the electrical wires, yet.

The temp switch at the radiator is only to ground and complete the circuit for thefan motor. I plan to use a couple of speaker connectors and tee this to my manual switch and then back to ground. Then, the system will work as normal, but will also havea manual switch override.

The only thing about amanual switch is thefan motor is not tied into the ignition. The fanmotor will always havepower. So, if the switch is left on, or if my cat's paw turns on theswitch, or some bystanders flips the switch,the battery could be drained. Please correct me ifI am wrong.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Footsman
The switch that I am going to use comes from the accesory side of the fuse box then through a 5 amp fuse first then on to the switch live side to give me the light in the switch, the earth will only be made when the switch is flicked on and no connection to earth without the ignition switched on.In other words both earth & live wires will be brocken at the switch.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

You are correct. Some bikes do have a single power line and will shut down when key is turned off. The hondas will run after key is off. When you turn the bike off and leave the fan on you will hear it and shut it off.....but as you said someone could come by and turn it on. On a G/W I would put mine on the fork cover between the handle bars. You don't know it's there unless you own the bike. That and I don't like tearing up the stock look of the dash.

"if the cat turns it on" I like that...

I think I would be more worried about the bloody dingo's in Keiths area.....lol

Keith, has nailed his sysytem...prefect.!

Kurt

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I ran a switch on an old magna. You can have it temp and manual control.Switch the two wires on the temp switch.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

You could also put in a keyed switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.