Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, brand new here on your forum, with a quick question. I presently ride an 04 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. I am seriously considering selling it and moving to a Goldwing. Obviously you all like the Goldwing. Can anyone give me pros and cons on the bike and also what to look for in a used Goldwing. Thanks for your time, Frank

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Mutt

First of all welcome to the site.

This site has excellent articles on what to look for in buying a used goldwing and it would be silly to repeat. On the home page there is a link to Tips on buying used Goldwings.

As to what is better Goldwing or Vulcan. My answer woould be ride a Goldwing and then you won't need to ask. You won't get an unbiased opinion round here as we are all Goldwing mad:tongue:

Andrew

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, that's right, We're all Wingmen!:jumper:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

MUTT wrote:
Hi guys, brand new here on your forum, with a quick question. I presently ride an 04 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. I am seriously considering selling it and moving to a Goldwing. Obviously you all like the Goldwing. Can anyone give me pros and cons on the bike and also what to look for in a used Goldwing. Thanks for your time, Frank
A kawa-whosits Vul-What? Howmuch?:goofygrin:

Seriously, those are nice bikes. I will commend you on your interest in a Fine bike. A legend. The roots of touring.

I cant tell you anything bad about the 'wing, and I cant knock your bike. I will just say that you should ride one. You will know what to do after your ride.

:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

First thing to say is the support for Goldwing owners is fabulous. Your not just buying a bike, but you are joining a large club, if you wish, where you can get help, have fun and be a part of a very large group. Example is joining the National Goldwing association. You will get a book of all the register owners of Goldwings in the worldwho are willing to do anything from giving directions, togiving you shelter or help fix your bike. This forum is a great example of everyone helping each other and of warped senses of humor.

When you ride a Goldwing, it puts you in the class of the experience knowledgeable rider. Even if it's not true. Of course you will also be asked if your over 60 and have arthritis, but that's another subject.

Last, the bike is great to ride.

Jerry

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not to mention owning a Goldwing entitles the owner an automatic Golden Age Pass at all national parks in the US, a free senior drink at Taco Bell, membership in AARP, and a monthly social security check!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

MUTT wrote:
LMAO... welcome frank... your post brought to mind a little story i want to share with yea.... Last saturday my and my g/f was about 400 miles from home out on a little ride on the wing.. had went to western kansas to see my mom.... Was in walmart looking at magazines.. looking at motorcycle magazines of course lol.. Some guy started talkin to me about motorcycles and asked what i was riding.. Told him i had a 81 wing and loved every mile i had put on it so far... He said and i quote this from him.. *I used to have a goldwing.. sold it in 02 and got a vulcan, *sigh*.. After having the goldwing. and one short ride on the vulcan My wife got off the bike and said nope wasnt riding no more..He said that was the last time he got her on a bike.. lol after having a wing she didnt want to ride on anything else.. As for me and my g/f. We have looked several hundred miles so far this year on my wing.. And will be doing several thousand more i am sure.. Have a few long road trips planed.. it is like riding a rocking chair down the road... a pleasure for me and her both to take the long road trips...

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Welcome Frank, to an excellent site. I only discovered it a short while back, but already I have gleened loads of useful info from members. I have had wings on and off for 30 years and wouldn't want anything else, at least, not til I'm too old to hold one up. That said, I think most of the guys here would agree, that it's a case of love 'em or hate'em. I worked my way through the Honda catalogue in the 70s, finally getting, what for me was the ultimate, a Wing. Plenty of friends of mine thought I was crazy, for them the thrill was a sports bike, but I was never a speed freek.

As others have said, try and get to ride one, the model is unimportant, it's probably dictated by how deep your pockets are! You may find it's not for you, but if you take to it, I will guarantee, you will never be short on comradery, there are clubs, if you like or just riding out with a few friends, which you are bound to make. I can honestly say, that I have never come accross a Wing rider ( or passenger) that I didn't get on with, they, like the bike, are in a different league, perhaps just owning one changes us, or maybee it's just a common factor thing, like being in the forces.

I expect you are yawning now, so I'll shut up and give others a chance to air their views.

By the way, the Vulcan sounds great, I haven't seen one of those in the air for years!!:waving::D

Pete

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Just want to thank everyone for their input. I have the day off today, and I think I'll head up to the Honda dealer and talk trade in. Thanks again, Frank

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Post a picture of your new wing. (I'm being optimistic.) :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey MUTT :waving: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:The Goldwing is the Rolls Royce of the m/cycle fraternity. :jumper:There is no other m/cycle that compares with her. :skipping: I dont own a goldwing myself, but i have the use of my neighbours :18red:most of the time and she is just class. So the best of good luck in your purchase :byebye:and if possible buy the fastest colour, which is RED. :weightlifter:

:skipping::18red::skipping:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Oh and i forgot to tell you, :stumped:that owning a goldwing will entitle you to a free bus pass. :skipping:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hey Redwing, when are you going to buy a Goldwing? I have a nice 83 standard for sale. You just need to ride it across the pond.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

:leprechaun:Jerryk wrote:
Hey Redwing, when are you going to buy a Goldwing? I have a nice 83 standard for sale. You just need to ride it across the pond.
Hey Jerryk :waving:Is she the fastest colour?. :stumped:

:leprechaun::18red:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Mutt,

The difference is in the engine. V Twins throb and opposing flats croon. I think the Vulcan is a fine bike, but if your goal is comfort and even more specifically, a happy content passenger, the Wing cannot be beat.

I believe by now everyone here knows my personal preference, (Moto Guzzi), but I like sharing my two wheeled world with my wife and the Wing is the best bike for a passenger hands down.

Riding solo? Well if you are planning on many long trips, once again the Wing is superior. There simply is no other bike out there that fits the niche. The Ventures tried, but they faded and the Wing remained.

Personally I am always amazed noone else has tried to invade the Wing niche.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Probably the greatest challenge is the BMW K 1200 LT. It's an impressive bike. One neat feature is the hydraulic center stand, push the button and up she goes. I still prefer the Goldwing but after having a little experience with the BMW 1100 tourer I think the K1200LT would be quite a bike. Still most likely harder to handle in the parking lots than the Honda though.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
:leprechaun:Jerryk wrote:
Hey Jerryk :waving:Is she the fastest colour?. :stumped:

:leprechaun::18red:
She the stealth color. Black, but you can paint her. She won't mind.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Probably the greatest challenge is the BMW K 1200 LT. It's an impressive bike. One neat feature is the hydraulic center stand, push the button and up she goes. I still prefer the Goldwing. I think the K1200LT would be quite a bike.
Hey exavid :weightlifter: My neighbour had the K1200LT before he bought the :18red:and he says the BMW would be no match for the :18red:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.