Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

the 1100 has 2 different clutch covers and i have both,the question i have is will they interchange and if so what would be better,the adjustable one from the 81 or the simpler one without all the extra parts from the 83:stumped:

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
imported post

I found that 81 and 82clutch coversdiffer also. Ibelieve that the 82 and 83 are the same.

You'll have noticed that the mechanism is different on each cover. From memory i think that the 81mechanismlevers a cup which connects toa clutch lifter rod directly, that sits in the clutch basket . Whereas the 82 clutch mechanismlevers a cam lobe which connects to a the small 'top hat' lifter piece thatsits into the clutch basket. Some confirmation required methinks.

Like I say this is only from memory, unfortunately my 82 engine is closed up ready for instal and i don't want to risk damaging the gasket by opening it up. The 81 engine is wrapped up and weather sealed and the weather is chucking it down just now.

I'm afraid i didn't take any pictures when i came across the differences. I'm fitting the 82 engine into the 81 frame. The 81 clutch casing was inbettercondition than the 82 so i thought i'd swap them over. I noticed that the mechs were quite different. I chickened out swapping them and cleaned up and painted the 82 casing instead.

The parts manual suggests that although the clutch baskets are the same, the clutch centreshave different part numbers for 81 and 82/3 engines so i guess you would need to change this also with the cover and appropriate lifter rod etc.

I remember thinking that the81 mechanism/leverage looked like it would actually offer the lighter clutch. Not having ridden any wing yet maybe 81, 82 & 83 riders could make comment on this.

Why'd i not take pictures? I've got hundreds of pics of every other part of the project. AARGHH It's at times like this isn't it. You can never take too many! :doh:

Good luck

GW

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

William_86 wrote:
1100 is not hydraulic. and i believe he is talking about the engine cover
yes, it is the rear cover that i'm refering to.

it's likely not something that the "normal" person would bother to swap,but if they will interchange and there is an advantage in swaping,when i do the clutch would be a good time to do it.

·
Honda Guru
2,050 Posts
imported post

If I had my choice I'd go with the earlier version that has the clutch adjustment rather than the 83 version. I like having a physical adjustment on the clutch instead of only being able to adjust the cable like on the 83.
I'm guessing here but I'd think the change probably happened because some people didn't do the clutch adjustment correctly, eventually burnt up the clutch then cried for Honda to cover it under warranty. Removing the clutch adjustment from the cover removed the possiblity of the adjustment screw being over tightened and burning the clutch. My guess only... maybe there's another reason.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

for sure it's not due to more parts that canwear out or honda would still be using it.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.