Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everyone long week but i made it thru, hope everyone is well also. Im finally starting my winter project of the bike trailer in 2 weeks and i wondered if anyone uses a swivel hitch on their trailer and is it worth the $150, is there that much improvement. Just wanted to get some pro's and cons..... thanks dave

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I have one on mine. You can't tell a difference between the two types. If I redid the tongue, I wouldn't bother with the expense of it. No real advantage.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks, so you dont feel any bind or resistance at all on tight corners, i was thinking it would bind up or put undo stress on the bike side mounting bars, mine are only like half inch tubes.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

No. The only 'advantage' to it might be if you had a situation where the trailer had to go all the way over it wouldn't pull the bike over but it would still be attached dragging you in a very inefficient way.

Argument has it that the Std hitch would stop the rotation before the trailer went over all the way and then bounce back down again.

Both situations would be traumatic during the event but I think I would prefer the odd event followed by the recovery than I would dragging the thing along trying to stop.

All the stresses are at the ball and socket until the limit was hit.

I have little doubt that the hitch frame could resist the 'hit' at the top of the twist. Even if it bent, you would still have the receiver and hitch able to pull the trailer once it bounced down and settled.

At least that is the theory I operate under.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

cool thanks, then i will forgo that expense and use that for paint or the carrier itself. thanks so much rudy

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I use one and think it is well worth the money. I have a company I can buy them for a little less than $100. The main thing is if you should drop the bike. Say 150 miles from home. With a swivel hitch pick it up and go on. With standard coupler it is going to bend and break parts in the rear suspension area of your bike. It is a great insurance policy.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
imported post

When I was shopping for a trailer in 07 I spoke to a fellow in the area that makes trailers regarding the pros & cons of a swivel hitch. He told me that the only reason he uses one was more for the protection of the trailer tounge & the hitch assembly on the bike in case the bike fell over while attached to the trailer.

I gave it a lot of thought when I did finally buy a trailer & my thought was " I can't ever see myself dropping the bike or it falling over" & decided to go without a swivel hitch. Well we had a mishap while on a 10 day trip this summer where the bike went over & stopped, leaning on the crash bars at about a 45 degree angle. The trailer hitch jamed against the chrome plate the ball was attached to & I was not able to unhook the trailer before standing the bike back up again. When I got the bike up again & inspected the bike & trailer every thing was ok accept for the chrome mounting plate which was bent under the ball so the ball was sitting a little cockeyed. I pulled the ball off & straightened the plate out with a hammer & put the ball back on. I guess if I had the swivel hitch there would have been no dammage.

Other than that I found that the trailer pulled & cornered great with a standard hitch.

There are others that claim with a swivel hitch that if the trailer hit a pot hole or dip hard enough to cause the trailer to leave the ground that there is a possibility the swivel hitch would allow the trailer to rotate on to its side or all the way over where the standard hitch wouldn't allow that to happen.

If I was to purchase or build another trailer would I install a swivel hitch? I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

I custom built my trailer and gave some thought about a rotating hitch. I chose not to. I thought one more place for wear and therefore more shift when hitting a pot hole. I suppose a longer round shaft would not appreciably wear. So far I haven't dropped while hitched to the trailer.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I built a swivel hitch on my 1st wing, tried it for a couple of months & then made a solid hitch & am still using the solid hitch, been coast to coast twice & lots of miles in between, My bike has been down with the trailer in the mud at Cook City (Beartooth Pass) and in some "pea gravel" in Idaho, no damage done in either case & we had no trouble getting the trailer unhitched & reconnected. We had it in Newfoundland in June, Calhoun in Sept & Montrose next Sept. I don't think the expense is worth it, put the money through the gas tank. :action::action:

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

excellent info everyone so far, i was so focused on the driving part that i never thought about what would happen if the bike fell over when parked or something like that, food for thought, maybe there is a happy medium, maybe there is a swivel hitch with a limiter that would give you flexibility if the bike fell over but the limiters would stop the trailer from flipping over entirely if it became airborne for some reason...

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

I had one fitted and it probably saved my life. Trailer flipped after hitting some sheep at 75mph and partially losing control when going down the embankment and 100 yards along gravel gully. Top of the trailer was wrecked but my bike stayed upright.
No-one would EVER convince me not to fit one.
Oh yeah...trailer ended up back on its wheels.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Slimpickins wrote:
This pivot ball looks interesting
Now thats a new concept i have not seen before, pivot instead of swivel...... hmmmmm. I will have to do some research on this one too. ]

I guess if it was not for my "hope for the best, plan for the worst" attitude life would be so much easier... :cheeky1:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Slimpickins wrote:
This pivot ball looks interesting
http://tiny.pl/s66p
That ball would make two points of movement front to back or side to side. One at the ball and one at the pivot point.

I don't think I'd like the trailer whipping back and forth or side to side every time I stopped and started or made a turn, trying to ram the back of the bike or hopping sideways while I'm in a turn. It also looks like it could put leverage pressure against the tongue lock plate in a way it was not designed for, as if prying the ball out of the tongue.

Think I'll stick to the tried and true in this case. The standard ball is 'standard' for good reason.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I had decided to buy the one on Slimpickins link on ebay as well, and missed it. I know it probably relists all the time. Rudy's thoughts are making me reconnsider, will be watching this thread.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
imported post

Rudyis probablyright but anotherway to look at it isif installed as designed for side to side movement I'm wondering if when in a lean while cornering if the ball is actually designed ( with the weight of the trailer tounge on it & the stability of the trailer)to stay straight up perpindicular to the roadallowing the trailer corner better.

I'm not sure if the pivot ball would cause the trailer to whip back & forth but I am wondering if the ball would migrate to the center while moving with the trailer attached or would it actually sit at an angle?

Does any of this make sence?

What do you think Rudy?

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

all good points, im on the edge of my seat on this one. on a side note what happened to all my mana, so sad i got no mana left lol toooo funnny.....

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Slimpickins wrote:
Rudyis probablyright but anotherway to look at it isif installed as designed for side to side movement I'm wondering if when in a lean while cornering if the ball is actually designed ( with the weight of the trailer tounge on it & the stability of the trailer)to stay straight up perpindicular to the roadallowing the trailer corner better.

I'm not sure if the pivot ball would cause the trailer to whip back & forth but I am wondering if the ball would migrate to the center while moving with the trailer attached or would it actually sit at an angle?

Does any of this make sence?

What do you think Rudy?
I see no reason why the ball would migrate back to vertical during travel but would be seated on one side or the other.

All this thing would do is allow a little further angle before hitting the limit. This at the expense of more complexity and opportunity for more problems mechanically.

My feeling is that it is a solution looking for a problem in the guise of something new to buy. From the reliability point of view, I would rank this third behind the stationary tongue followed closely by the swivel tongue.

There are pros and cons to every hitch scenario. I don't see any pros with this device and the pros for the other methods depend on which crisis you actually experience.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,709 Posts
imported post

I'm going to vote with Rudy on this one.

That particular style really goes against my "engineering background" (school of hard knocks U)

I think it is introducing complexity where none is needed, and will tend to "pop the ball" out of the tongue socket.

The idea that it will "return to vertical" on the straight pull, I don't think so. Why would it?

I would not touch it if you gave it to me.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I recently built a trailer & thought about the swivel hitch.

After some thought, I wondered how it could possibly help me if the trailer flipped.... anyway, I decided against it & am very happy with my tried & true 'ball & hitch'.

However, those safety chains worry me. I knew of a man who hit a pothole with his trailer & it sent him into on-coming traffic. The trailer came off the ball, but pushed him into an oncoming van, because of the 'safety chains'. :stumped:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.