Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, since I'm still VERY new to the Goldwing world, and am waiting to try out my newly acquired 94 Wing, just what is meant by "syncing the carburetors" ? Is it easy to do? do you have to do it often? How do you know when? Just by changing the air filter does it mess up the sync? Any advise will be appreciated. Thx:?

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

A GREEEEAT BIG WELCOME TO THE BESTEST WING SITE ON THE WEB from Canada’s west coast, John. Hope you stay a long time. ;););););):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Syncing is getting all carbs synchronized together. From what I have read, it is really not that difficult. In the search window, do a search for " carb syncing" there is a lot of posts on the subject.Or just read this how-to and watch the video:

GL1500 Carburettor Balancing

Good luck. Angela:waving::clapper::waving::clapper::waving::clapper::waving::clapper::waving:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Hi John, replacing the air filter shouldn't have anything to do with the carbs, as far as I know. There is a vacuum piston on each carb, so synchronising the carbs means to synchronise the "under-pressure" (vacuum) of each carburettor, as those should be in accord for all the carbs. The syncing is needed every time afteryou take the carbs off (for cleaning, float adjustment, etc.), it is recommended after you change the timing belts and it should be done anyway after a specified number of miles, as a maintenance job.
Here are instructions and photos showing how to change the GL1500 air filter:

GL1500 Goldwing Air Filter Replacement

Good luck

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the info. I was a little worried that the carbs were extremely delicate objects and needed constant attention. I always believed in.."if it works don't touch it and if it doesn't call somebody with more knowledge"

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

The New Owner wrote:
Hi John, replacing the air filter shouldn't have anything to do with the carbs, as far as I know. There is a vacuum piston on each carb, so synchronising the carbs means to synchronise the "under-pressure" (vacuum) of each carburettor, as those should be in accord for all the carbs. The syncing is needed every time afteryou take the carbs off (for cleaning, float adjustment, etc.), it is recommended after you change the timing belts and it should be done anyway after a specified number of miles, as a maintenance job. All you need about how and when to do it you can find in the workshop manual.

Good luck
Thanks N/O, I should have read John's post a little closer. You are right changing the air filter has NO bearing in the sync. I should have known better. Just goes to show that the longer one is a member doesn't necessarily mean you can know everything. In this case, you just reminded me of something I should have remembered for myself.:?:?:shock::shock::D:D:D:D:D:D:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
The New Owner wrote:
Hi John, replacing the air filter shouldn't have anything to do with the carbs, as far as I know. There is a vacuum piston on each carb, so synchronising the carbs means to synchronise the "under-pressure" (vacuum) of each carburettor, as those should be in accord for all the carbs. The syncing is needed every time afteryou take the carbs off (for cleaning, float adjustment, etc.), it is recommended after you change the timing belts and it should be done anyway after a specified number of miles, as a maintenance job. All you need about how and when to do it you can find in the workshop manual.

Good luck
Thanks N/O, I should have read John's post a little closer. You are right changing the air filter has NO bearing in the sync. I should have known better. Just goes to show that the longer one is a member doesn't necessarily mean you can know everything. In this case, you just reminded me of something I should have remembered for myself.:?:?:shock::shock::D:D:D:D:D:D:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:
Oh, thanks for the compliments! :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I just want to thank everyone for the info, especially to GWNorman(guru) for the site and video clip. All you people are very helpful to us beginners. Thx

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

The biggest issue with all these carburator'd wings is keeping the fuel & carbs clean.

If they are going to sit for awhile use a bit of Sea
Foam in the tank and keep the tank full to control condensation. Possibly once a year draining of the carb bowls also doesn't hurt. You'd be suprised what comes out.

Carb components do wear over time so a periodic check of sync is advisable. Just follow the manufacturer's suggestions as to interval. Sync just makes it run better at idle & has little if anything to do once you are off idle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.