Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My new-to-me GL-1200 is rapidly losing the new-to-me part, as I've sold my old GL-1200 and have over a thousand miles on the replacement.

I've been working out the ills from the prior owner, as it had only 28,xxx miles when I purchased it. (Now getting closer to 30,xxx). The prior owner had no motorcycle endorsement, so believe-it-or-not, all he says he did was use the bike to toodle around the neighborhood. (Toodle is a word in my book. I don't know about yours!)

I just finished a 500-mile day today (at mostly 80mph), and got home and decided to throw the carb-sync at it to check it out.

DAYUM....

All the sea-foam, hard running, and high speeds - the stupid carbs were out-of-sync once again. Not really bad, but enough to require adjustment, and see immediate benefit.

I think I'm keeping my sync-tool close-at-hand for the next few thousand miles.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If the carbs were synced before you cleaned up stuff with Seafoam, it is likely you could have needed to do it again once clean.
That is why we recommend the heavy Seafoam treatments first.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Rudy wrote:
If the carbs were synced before you cleaned up stuff with Seafoam, it is likely you could have needed to do it again once clean.
That is why we recommend the heavy Seafoam treatments first.
You should have heard this beast when I got it - it sounded like a tractor. The carbs were sooooo out that I had to sync it immediately. Then seafoam - then another sync, now a thousand miles (half of it today) and another sync.

I'm getting pretty good at this.

All I need to say is: SYNC PARTY AT RUSTY'S PLACE!!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

check the springs at the sync screws. if the screw is not tight enough it will get out if sync pretty much

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Yup, synch'ed my 1100 probably 4-5 times now. I just have a homemade $5 'gauge' but it works well enough. Now if the weather would just clear up long enough so I can ride the darn thing...

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Yup, synch'ed my 1100 probably 4-5 times now. I just have a homemade $5 'gauge' but it works well enough. Now if the weather would just clear up long enough so I can ride the darn thing...
Ya it's even been kinda crappy down here lately too.
Oh well the lakes could use it.

I been getting kinda spoiled with the drought. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

It's been horrible here as well. Daytime temps have peaked below 60 deg. Can you imagine????? :)

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Goldwing carbs can go a bit out of synch under every 5000 miles. Not enough to cause problems but usually noticable improvement when you synch them. It's so easy to synch them once you have done it once.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

In 4000 miles I found one carb on my 79 to be off by 6" Hg. I'm hoping things will settle in now that the bike gets regular use. Glad I have my own mercury stick. Only takes a few minutes to make the adjustment.

Q

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I checked sync on mine and was dead on. No change at all since new. Then I did a rebuild so had to reset but like they say, check your springs. If they are ok, I think it will settle in the more you ride it. Rudy, I went to Athens a few weeks ago and have never seen Lake Hartwell that low. I used to live north of Danielsville, GA. Paul

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

P Yanney wrote:
I checked sync on mine and was dead on. No change at all since new. Then I did a rebuild so had to reset but like they say, check your springs. If they are ok, I think it will settle in the more you ride it. Rudy, I went to Athens a few weeks ago and have never seen Lake Hartwell that low. I used to live north of Danielsville, GA. Paul
Lake Hartwell has come up 6-8 ft since your ride over it, depending on who's doing the reporting. That's just in the last week due to all the up river rains.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

spray it all up clean and wd40 it then wash again when finished.....sinc to all #3
let throttle slap back hard a few times with eng off to seat and settle...repeat sinc

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Single carb conversion is the way to go... I'm running a Holley 2110 two barrel downdraft on a home-made intake on my GL 1100 and don't regret it for a minute.... Like rgbeard, I was forever fiddling with the carbs on the raggedy wing I built. The Holley is super simple, I have WAY better acceleration and good top end and it was super cheap to build (total cost intake AND carb about 80 bux)... If you finally get tired of fiddling with those carbs and aren't afraid of diving into the "unknown" (or dealing with the unapproving looks of mom and pop Goldwinger), then check out the "Tech Tips" button on my page... It ain't pretty but it's pretty good. =)

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
I should change my name though, I'm in Louisville now.
A novel thought...but somehow I think "Chris In KY" just sounds baaaaaaaaaaaaad.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

You may be on to something. 28,xxx in 24 years would clog up a carb, right?

I'm trying to "drive it clean", instead of removing the carbs, but maybe I need to quit and take them out for proper cleaning.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

How many teatments of Seafoam have you done ? And at what strengh? I would do three or four and then if it doesn't help you onlu have one choice. And then you will know for sure. :) :waving:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.