Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I picked up a gage set, It has the rubber hoses and 4 little white valves, Do I need these valves connected?

Arent they just for when you work on less than 4 carbs?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I went ahead and connected them anyhow.

The manual says notto connect the lined until after the bike warms up, But isnt this another reason for the little valves? Just close them until its warmed up and then turn off the motor and open them?

Then procees ahead with adjustments?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Yes, keep the little valves in line. You'll notice (especially at idle) that the gauges will bounce all over the place and it's very hard to get good readings. This is because as the intake valves close the vacuum ceases, then when they open again the vacuum is present again. This oscillation makes the gauges go crazy. With the little valves you can limit the air going in and out of the gauges and calm down the action of the needles. Close them to a point thatthe needlesare still moving, but readable.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

ok, thanks.

Why dont the directions say anything? Tha Bike manual doensnt say much on adjustment neither.

Just going to turn the Air fuel in all the way and then back out 1.5 turns and start from there.

Off to play now.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Randy...

1st, you need to calibrate the dials. Try and find a 4-1 splitter that you can hook up to a vaccum source, like a brake bleeder. There are 2 screws that are on each face, if you pull them off, you should be able to spin things until they read right.

I always have the guage installed when I start the bike, otherwise you are starting it woth a large vac leak, and that ain't good! Just crank down the valves, and all will be good. Open them just enough so that the needles rise up, and vibrate slightly. All the way open, and you'll never get a good reading off of them.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I just seen that when I went outside.

Plus I dont want to be out in the wind/rain tearing off thecase gaurds so I ccan hook up the adapters, Who would put the ports there!? (insert expletives here)

I am going to find me a angled set of adapters somehow. I dont want to pull the case gaurds every time I need to check vacuum, what a pain!

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

The valves are there to steady the needles, just close them in until the needle stops wobbling and no more. Don't have the choke on with the gauges attached or it will ruin the gauges.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

That's right about the choke, that's why you have to warm the engine first. BTW, I haven't been here in a while. The forum sure seems busy these days with loads of new members. Well done. :D

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Figures it out, Going to the hardsware store soon, Hit the Plumbing or Garden dept and getting a 5 pack of Rain Drip (hanging plant watering line splitters = $2.49)slitters to go from 4 to 1 and hook it to a Vacuum line somewhere and calibrate the gages together.

Should work most excellently.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Skooter wrote:
That's right about the choke, that's why you have to warm the engine first. BTW, I haven't been here in a while. The forum sure seems busy these days with loads of new members. Well done. :D
That's where the mercury gauges score, although I've heard of cheap ones sucking the mercury right into the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.