Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased a heated suit to extend my riding season I live in the notheast and ride my bike to and from work. The temp has dropped into the low 30's and after my 75 mile trip home I was generally chilled to the bone. I decided to give the Cortech synergy pants liners a try, they were reasonably priced at 125.00 and sent with no shipping charges. When I recieved them I was happy with the quality of the garment and the controller. I had them wired to my bike in less than 5 minutes. The ride to work was sunny and warm so I didnt need to wear them but knew that I would test them on the trip back home. I put them on at the garage at work to much curiosity from the parking attendants. I told them this was the test to see if I was going to continue my riding or put my bike away for the rest of the season. I could not believe how well this unit performed. I was toasty warm all the way home, wow what a nice feeling. The night previous I was thinking how I thought I was warm on top and that only my legs were cold, and now with the pant liner I was thinking how cold I felt on top.......needless to say I ordered the jacket today...they plug into each other so there is no additional wiring needed.....can hardly wait for my UPS man to arrive.:jumper:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

oldcar82,

Anxious to hear how well those work for you.

By the way, are you in Canada or the USA or in the UK or Australia? :baffled:

This is a global site, please click on "My Account" and go to Profile and enter your location.

Thanks,

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the review oldcar82! :waving:

After spending the last 4+ weeks in the saddle, with much of it in cool/cold temps and rain for up to 12 hours a day, feeling like the Michelin Man because I had so many layers on underneath my riding jacket/pants, I've started looking a little more closely at that alternative(in fact, just this morning). I found that after 4 hours in 34-42* temps, my hands and feet were still getting cold. All that time spent peeling through all those layers to relieve myself was no 'treat' either! :gunhead: I figure I could save a lot of valuable packing space by eliminating most of those 'layers' of clothing I needed to help keep me warm, as I was travelling through such a wide range of climatic regions. :2finger:

Just wondering how you hooked yours into your bike's electricalsystem?

Dusty .... who mill be moving to the NE next year

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I bought my wife the Synergy Jacket Liner. The plug for it wires direct to the battery with a fused wire. The jacket controller then plugs into this. Should be the same for all these suits.

Dealer said to do it this way for better charging of the battery to compensate the draw.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Pastor T wrote:
......... The plug for it wires direct to the battery with a fused wire. The jacket controller then plugs into this. ........ Dealer said to do it this way for better charging of the battery to compensate the draw.
Thanks for the info, Pastor T

So, I take it there's a short lead(that the controller gets connected to) that you have protruding from your bike somewhere? Where have you got yours exiting from the bike ?? :baffled:

Just trying to get a mental picture of how/where you are connected to your bike. One of my riding buddies has an electric vest(don't know the make) and he has what appears to be a 'plug-in-socket' type of connection to the bike, on the left side of the bike(1100 RS BMW), below the seat, much like an aux 12v socket. Could you hook your's up like that? :stumped:

Thanks for any additional info :bowing:

Ken

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

oldcar82; could you check to see what the power draw is on the suit? I'm not certain if the OEM alternator on my '85 Aspy can handle that. Sounds like a great buy!

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Pastor T wrote:
......... The plug for it wires direct to the battery with a fused wire. The jacket controller then plugs into this. ........ Dealer said to do it this way for better charging of the battery to compensate the draw.
Thanks for the info, Pastor T

So, I take it there's a short lead(that the controller gets connected to) that you have protruding from your bike somewhere? Where have you got yours exiting from the bike ?? :baffled:

Just trying to get a mental picture of how/where you are connected to your bike. One of my riding buddies has an electric vest(don't know the make) and he has what appears to be a 'plug-in-socket' type of connection to the bike, on the left side of the bike(1100 RS BMW), below the seat, much like an aux 12v socket. Could you hook your's up like that? :stumped:

Thanks for any additional info :bowing:

Ken
Hi Ken,

I brought the lead for her jacket out under her seat at the hand grip. They don't give you a lot of lead and since the battery is on the right that was the shortest route to take and left enough wire to reach her controller. When she isn't using it the plug is tucked up alongside the backrest and pretty well hidden from "inquiring minds".

The connection is the same as your friend's Beemer.

Terry

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

GoldWingPastor wrote:
oldcar82; could you check to see what the power draw is on the suit? I'm not certain if the OEM alternator on my '85 Aspy can handle that. Sounds like a great buy!
Not sure if your bike's stator is up to the task of powering these or not.

I dug around on their site and copied below,the chart that Tourmaster has published concerning draw in amps/watts for each electrical garmentthey sell.

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Thanks Terry for your informative reply! :clapper:

Although Tourmaster offers these items with a 3 year warranty, I wonder just how trouble free/durable these items really are. :baffled::stumped: Anyone have any imput/experience on that aspect?

Ken

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Dusty, dont even hesitate for a minute..get these clothes...you can get the pants, jacket and gloves they all daisy chain electrically into each other with short electrical connections that simply slide into each other with no slack so there are no hangup points to get caught up on. The controller is neatly strapped to your leg in easy reach to adjust heat and lit up by l.e.d.s so you can see the heat level as you drive. Another nice feature is the pants are chap style so you dont put them on like regular pants, you put the belt on and then the leg portion gets velcro'd around the legs. The crotch area is not covered so a trip to the bathroom is a quick process and dosent involve stripping off clothes. The biggest plus besides the warmth is the ability to be toasty warm without layers and layers of constricting clothes the liners are so thin they are not even noticable. I understand that there is no issue if they get wet and the quality seems to be excellent. :pumpkin:

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I have the Gerbings heated Union Ridge pants, heated jacket liner, G3 gloves and the standard socks, all controlled with a dual temp controller. They keep me warm and comfortable until ice forms on the roadway and put the bike away for the winter months. I make sure to plug everything in after the bike is running and unplug before I turn the bike off. I can't sit and idle for a long period of time or I discharge my battery but riding in stop and go traffic and on the highway I don't have any problems.

While it will not help for this year's riding season, next spring (late Feb early March) go to this website: http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml they will run their sale on Gerbings heated gear up to 70% off retail prices while supplies last. I do not work for this company, or own stock in them, however I am a satisfied customer.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the heads up on that one, flint! :coollep:

got it bookmarked

Dusty

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Gerbings here too. No problems for folks with 1800s or 1500s with CompuFire alternators. Probably also true for the Poorboy alternator mods on the earlier models.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I've been kicking around the idea of heated this year. But the 1100 I dont believe can handle anymore draw on the system. So since I use the right saddlebag for tools,rainsuit,tire repair and pump, I still have some room to actually fit a small or med size 12v cycle battery in there and wire it up to a tender.Maybe put it in some type of tupperware case. SInce my coldest exposure is night for about 45 minutes on the way to work. I'm thinking there shouldn't be a prob. I'd like to get a vest and gloves. JR

Anybody tried this???JR

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Hmmm,,,,,,,,,, now all of you have got me thinking. Sure would be nice to ride comfortably warm without being bundled like an Escomo. But the thought of having to spring for a Compufire alternater just to stay warm kinda hurts.

What are the watts of the OEM Alt. on a 1500???? I neverhave fully understood how that works, as far as how much poweris needed.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
I've been kicking around the idea of heated this year. But the 1100 I dont believe can handle anymore draw on the system. So since I use the right saddlebag for tools,rainsuit,tire repair and pump, I still have some room to actually fit a small or med size 12v cycle battery in there and wire it up to a tender.Maybe put it in some type of tupperware case. SInce my coldest exposure is night for about 45 minutes on the way to work. I'm thinking there shouldn't be a prob. I'd like to get a vest and gloves. JR

Anybody tried this???JR
I ride an 82 Aspencade, it's an 1100 and like I said previously, plug in after you've started, and unplug before you turn off the bike, and if I don't sit and idle for extended periods of time (8-10 minutes or longer) I'm okay, otherwise I do start to discharge the battery. Stop and go city traffic is no problem. That's with gloves, socks, pants and jacket liner all running, along with my radio, and GPS. However, I don't run the driving lights with my Gerbings gear, that would cause me a problem. And a normal ride can be anywhere from 2 to 5 hours one way.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Hmmm,,,,,,,,,, now all of you have got me thinking. Sure would be nice to ride comfortably warm without being bundled like an Escomo. But the thought of having to spring for a Compufire alternater just to stay warm kinda hurts.

What are the watts of the OEM Alt. on a 1500???? I neverhave fully understood how that works, as far as how much poweris needed.
The manual states that the stock alternator produces 550w @ 5,000rpm.

From Gerbing site, here is what each item uses

• Jacket Liner - 77w - 6.4a
  • Pants Liner - 44w - 3.6a
  • Heated Socks - 27w -2.2a
  • Heated Gloves - 27w - 2.2a
Total watts needed - 175W - 14.4A

Alternator output less clothing wattage needed: 550w - 175w= 375w

Okay, so we have 375w left over from the clothing to 'play' with. What does the bike draw while running 'normally' ?

Looking atthe chart from the owners manual, that shows electrical specs for lighting, we see that we need 292w for normal operation of the bike. (just riding along, not stopping/turning)

So, 375w - 292w('normal'operational requirements) = 83wleft - Looks good

If we have to brake, that willdraw another 80w(28w draw from taillights not needed), leaving us with just 3w left.

If we signal for a turn, while we're braking,that draws a further 66w, overloading the alternator/charging system, temporarily.

ACompufire alternator puts out 1325 watts of power and will obviously be up to the task ofpowering these heatedliners.

The stock unit, if healthycould probably do the job, as the braking/signaling is just a temporary thing and you system should recover,rather quickly, once you get back up to speed, but there isn't much room left for an older, worn-out alternator to keep you from having problems.

If you have aux driving lights and are running them at the same time, I think that you will be over taxing your system and will have problems.

I think in the end, it boils down to what you'll be using(combination/amount of heated clothing), how often and when you use them(daylight vs darkness) as to whether or not your charging system can handle the increased load. If your alternator is presentlymarginal at best, then a Compufire alternator would be a wise decision/purchase, before you are left stranded along the roadside.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to help you make any decisions. For myself, I now have todecide if the heated clothing I'd like to have/use, is too taxing for my system and if so,does it justify the cost of a Compufire alternator, along with the expense of the heated clothing. So far, my alternator has been up to the task of often driving a couple of hours in the darkness with the additional 2 x55w driving lights, with no apparent problems. How will it handle the increased demand of a few article of heated clothing? I might just tear down my alternator over the winter and check out its brushes and that might just be the determining factor. The heated clothing I know will be used, as it gets chilly here in the mountains, when the sun goes down at anytime of year, except for the dead of summer. Mornings/evenings(and sometimes mid day) of spring and fall are usually chilly, until the sun rises and warms things up.

Dusty

Attachments

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Dusty,,,,,,,, I could not have gotten a simpler explanation then that,,,,,,,,, Thank You.

Your top notch in my book. I'll have to give this a lot more thought. If I had the $ it would be an easy decision.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
I'll have to give this a lot more thought. If I had the $ it would be an easy decision.
Couldn't agree with you more, Winger.

I was just talking to a bud of mine that has an old heated vest(no collar) and he's looking for a jacket liner. He also has handle grip heaters on his Beemer. He said with the vest on, while his arms get a little cool(reason for the jacket liner), his legs stay warm(under a pair of armoured nylon riding pants), figuring that the blood is heated by the vest and that helps to keep his legs warm. I might just go with the heated jacket liner 1st and see how that goes(?)

Cheers, Ken .... gone riding

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Thanks Dusty Boots for the info. Looks like I need to finally put in the Poor Boy kit. Or...I keep watching the videoDavid posted on the new Wing...maybe...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.