Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have read that Rotella T 5-40 Synthetic is the choice for my new wing. Would like to get some feedback before the first change at 300mi. Any information on this subject will be greatly appreciated. P.S. picked up my wing on Monday and love to ride it more each day. Thanks,
SE WING

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Whenever you ask the question, "What oil should I use?" you open a whole can of worms. Change it often, is the only advice I'll give.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Do a search on oil and you will have more hits than keying 'sex' into google!:doh:

axelwik has it right, change it often whatever it is! BTW if you need tires, same thing!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

se wing wrote:
I have read that Rotella T 5-40 Synthetic is the choice for my new wing. Would like to get some feedback before the first change at 300mi. Any information on this subject will be greatly appreciated. P.S. picked up my wing on Monday and love to ride it more each day. Thanks,
SE WING
se wing, the Rotella T Synthetic is one of MANY oil's that will function correctly in your new Wing. There is no ONE perfect oil for any bike/ or situation. There aresome oil's that are better than the Rotella T & some that are worse. Most modern oil's (synthetics included) have positive aspects & negative aspects.

To choose the correct oil (make that the best oil for your needs) --What you really need to do is; first define your usage & expectations of your bike, riding habits, storage concerns, weather involved, mileage expected between changes, etc. Then search out the best oil for each category, then match your needs to the best in each category (usually one particularoil will meet most of your needs). That way you can get as close as possible to what's best FOR YOUR APPLICATION.

With only 300 miles on your new bike I would recommend you stay withHonda type oil until at least 1,000 miles.. That way you won't introduce anything (oil wise) that could hamper proper engine, piston ring, & trans break-in.

Twisy

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for all the input, I have decided to stick with Honda recommended Oil for my bike. I know the important thing is to change it when needed.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

What about using Rotella T Synthetic in a 1986 Aspy with 71k miles? Would I be better to stay with regular dino with that many miles?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

EagleOne wrote:
What about using Rotella T Synthetic in a 1986 Aspy with 71k miles? Would I be better to stay with regular dino with that many miles?
EagleOne, actually the Rotella T Synthetic is a Dino oil. It is just highly refined (group 3) to meet synthetic specs (as far as I can tell by the data sheets anyhow). That Rotella T oil will work OK in your older high miler Wing. It should give you good engine protection with a decent additive package. The down side to that Rotella T synthetic will probably be a little more engine noise (probably lifter noise & trans gear noise). As far a hurting the engine, that shouldn't be a problem as most newer synthetic (or synthetic rated) oil's have some type of seal conditioner in them to slightly swell the oil seals & keep leaks to a minimum.

That Rotella T (5w40 synthetic) wouldn't be my personal first choice for an older bike but would be a lot better than the original Honda spec oil. It does have a pretty good diesel based additive package so would make an excellent storage oil & would give good start-up protection on bikes that are stored more than ridden.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I'm with Twisty. 5w/40 on an old wing isn't something I'd use except in very ccold weather.
Any good 5w/40 symthetic will do fine in the GL1800. I know lots of owners using the Castrol version.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.