Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going start changing my own oil on my '05 Gl 1800. I would like to change over to Mobil One synthetic motorcycle oil. Any comments? Is anyone using Mobile One?

Thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

I switched to Mobil 1 on my 1200 this year and was very happy with the results. Quieter, shifts smoother, and stopped an occasional valve noise it had. I have read a few warnings against fully synthetic oils in the 1800 though, but I'm not sure if they have any validity. None offered any facts or proof, they were all just "I've heard..." or "I was told by..."

I was a little concerned about the wet clutch slipping, but I have done a number of full throttle slip and grab style changes and it engages as solidly as it ever did.

I'm sold on it, and bought a case.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Just like a turbine engine, you neverneed to change synthetic oil. Well maybe not, butit definitely can extend the oil change interval.

I use the non-syntheticoils, and for my piece of mind, I change it at 5,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

old habit, but I tend to change every 3K and about this time of year regardless... synthetics do not break down as fast, but oil gets contamination from combustion by-products no matter what the kind of oil

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

Although the oil change interval can be extended for synthetic oil in automotive applications I would be unwilling to do so in a Goldwing. The clutch puts a lot of particulate matter into the sump, and the transmission gears are the perfect machine to shear the extended molecule chains into smaller pieces. The viscosity index improvers are a fairly fragile molecules as well. The oil may appear to hold it's viscosity but generally because the detergents have suspended the filth and swarf (I love that word) and are feeding it to your bearings.

With the number of miles we put on these bikes and the relatively small sump I think it is good insurance to change every 3500 miles or less. I can certainly hear and feel the change with fresh oil. On the other hand, I love this machine and want it to last forever. If you plan to buy a new one regularly than I don't suppose it is an issue to you, although if you can show receipts and documentation of very regular oil changes it will help you to sell for top dollar. Remember that the factory recommended change interval is the maximum number of miles, and designed to get you off warranty, not make the machine last. Honda does not want you to own your bike for too long.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

while I have heard suggested that HD is "old" technology, one advantage (imho) of my hd, is the engine oil is for the engine, the clutch and primary have their own oil, and the transmission has its oil as well

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

The decision to share oil between engine, primary drive and transmission was not one of efficiency. While it would be difficult to have a separate sump for engine and transmission on a package so compact, it would not be impossible. All two stroke unit engines have had transmissions separate by neccesity since WW II. Honda's engineering teams are, for the most part thorough and forward thinking, but there are a lot of decisions made by the accountants in the design of these machines. Sharing the oil is cost effective, and while not ideal, it does work " OK " and it hasn't stopped anyone from buying. H.D. on the other hand seems rooted in tradition, and the "unit" concept just doesn't seem important to the layout. The separate compartment for each is more a by-product of a lack of forward thinking, but with excellent results.The result is that we are forced into short oil change intervals and cannot run EP oils in a place where they would do a lot of good.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

I've used it for several years, 15w50, no problems. I still change it like regular oils.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

I've used it for many years and many miles, but I still maintain the same change cycle of every 3,000 miles

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I really like synthetic oil, but seem to have a small problem with it, each time I start my 1800 and put it into first gear it goes backwards. I think maybe the motor is running backwards. :D

I just could not resist, nope, look synthetic oil is the best thing there ever was, just costs more is all.

Kit

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I have been the biggest advocate of mobile one syntech oil. I have done much research for my bikes and can buy 15w50 mobile one at Wally world for $20+ for 4 liters. Unfortunately, my new to me wing has 42k miles on it and they suggest that that is too much mileage to make the change because it can cause leaks. My indy mechanic says it isn’t so, but he is not paying the bill if he is wrong. My Valk uses 0w-40 euro formula from Mobile 1 and it is NOT EC (energy conserving). I have a noticeable increase in MPG and throttle response since the change.

Synthetic oil doesn’t break down into an acid as does dino juice thus most peoples think you can stretch the change interval. However, it still absorbs combustion particulates so I maintain my strict 3-3500 mile intervals. I have always said that oil is cheap compared to what it protects. With the soaring price of dino juice, it is nearly less then a dollar for the better oil…

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the leaking things is really a myth.... sort of like the honda mechanic who blames everything on synthetic oil.... if you have a leak, it is because you have a seal that is leaking

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
the leaking things is really a myth.... sort of like the honda mechanic who blames everything on synthetic oil.... if you have a leak, it is because you have a seal that is leaking
If you could say that with 100% confidence, i would switch immediately. What is your confidence level?

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
imported post

I switched my car at 40K, now at 104K, and my wing at 84K, now at 90K, no leaks. I used mobile one for a while, but decided to use Royal Purple this time (only a dollar difference on base over here) and could not be happier. Works great in the car and the bike.

I will say with 100% confidence that it will not cause the leak. Maybe ignorant, but bad seals cause leaks, not oil.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

:jumper::cool::cool:Stinky151 wrote:
I switched my car at 40K, now at 104K, and my wing at 84K, now at 90K, no leaks. I used mobile one for a while, but decided to use Royal Purple this time (only a dollar difference on base over here) and could not be happier. Works great in the car and the bike.

I will say with 100% confidence that it will not cause the leak. Maybe ignorant, but bad seals cause leaks, not oil.
I am going synthetic. Wehooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

Dragoon wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:
If you could say that with 100% confidence, i would switch immediately. What is your confidence level?
here's a pretty good write-up on some of the myths about synthetic oil.

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Products/Lubricants/PS_L_Synthetic_myths.asp

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

I will 3rd that thought. Leaks? Bad seals, not the type of oil used.

And I have switched back and forth with both for different reasons. Mostly money after I didn't see enough difference to be paying for the synthetics.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I would also like to change my own oil, and my 1500 has 58,000+ on it. Does anyone else have an opinion as to the advisibility of changing to synthetic at this point?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.