Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought myself the 97 GL 1500 you see in the picture. I am a big fan of Mobile 1 Synthetic that I use for my Subaru car any ideas on synthetic oil and the Goldwing.

I welcome any and all comments on what type or viscosity to use for a bike that has to hibernate a few months every year in British Columbia. I did have it out riding on December 2nd though.
Thanks in Advance,

Greener

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I use mobil one.... but oil, like tyres, like colours, like opinions, like a$$holes.... everyone has one hehehehehehe

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Again, like everything else - there are a million opinions.

I use Castrol Syntec Blend 10w40.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

YOu'll be fine with your choice... and welcome to the site.. If you do a search, you will have more oil opinions than you know what.... Jim

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Greener, welcome to the Forum!

Do some reading here, in the last two or three pages alone you'll see several threads just on synthetics. Hot topic always here, just take some time and scan around, you'll learn plenty!

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I presently use the Mobil 1 10w40 synthetic in my 2000 Aspy. I have been happy with it so far except for the price. A little expensive at $14.00 per litre. I found a small shop near home that sells Amsoil for $11.00 per litre. I may give it a try in the spring.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would never use synthetic oil in my bike. :p I tried it one time and I had to drive backwards all the time, it made the motor run backwards. :)

Hey: Any good synthetic is great for your bike, but the Mobile One for your car is not the Mobile One you wish for your bike. Mobile One does make a motorcycle specific oil. Hard to find sometimes, but the normal 10W30 has all the additives in it for cars, and supposedly not good for the wet clutch in the bike. Or any other Mobile one that does not have the energy conserving circle stamp on it is cool.

Honda now has a full synthetic, saw it a couple weeks ago at a dealer. They are also now stocking amsoil on the shelf, which is rare in the way amsoil is normally sold.

Kit

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Like Kit stated, just make sure it's not energy conserving oil. I do all my energy conserving in my recliner. No need for my Wing to conserve it!:dude:
Seriously, they say it can affect the wet clutch.

I use the Mobil synthetic MC oil in my V Star and Shell synthetic in my Wing. I will switch the V Star to Shell this coming spring as well as all the atvs, which now run Amsoil. Easier to get and easier on the wallet!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Here is a new one. Hard on the wallet though. A little over $14.00 a quart. So that is 60 bucks for an oil change. I would like to try it, but need to find it cheaper than what it is listed for. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 Kit

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Autozone has it for $9.49. I may try a couple back-to-back oil changes next year.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I've decided to try Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil in my next oil change. Found my local O'Reilley's carries it at $9+ per quart. He asked me if I wanted 2 T or 4T? The 2T is all they had on hand.

What is the difference?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
I've decided to try Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil in my next oil change. Found my local O'Reilley's carries it at $9+ per quart. He asked me if I wanted 2 T or 4T? The 2T is all they had on hand.

What is the difference?
2T is for two strokes and 4T for four... click on the images for other info, although the brochures don't have that much more info than that...

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Rotella 5W40 from advance auto for $20 gallon

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I have used Mobile 1 full synthetic for 12 years now on all my cars, boats and motorcycle. This summer, I switched from a 15W50 in my Valk to a 0w40 euro formula. It seemed to release a lot of pony when I did that, however, because of the low weight ans the wet clutch, I use 15w50 for the sake of the gears and clutch. I must say, in every bike, the clunk went away when shifting and I get better mileage. But don’t fool yourself into thinking you can go twice as long between oil changes. Technically, you can, but oil is cheap compared t what it protects. Synthetics don’t break down to an acid (hence you can go longer between changes) but it still picks up the crud created from the combustion.

Mobile 1 can be had at wally world for $20 for four quarts of 15w50. Knock yourself out.

cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
imported post

I have been using Mobil 1 in my bikes for years and wouldn't switch back I use the 5w50 or 15w50. Makes sure you look on the round seal on the back label, the lower half of the label should be blank, if it says energy conserving stay away. The bikes shift and seem to run far superior to dino oils.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

I have been using the Rotella T synthetic as well in both my bikes. No problemo!

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

KIT............ 60 bucks for and oil change? Holy Moly, thats my whole annual oil maintainance budget for the year!

Consumer Reports magazine says synthetic is not worth the money. I have been using Rotella this last year....... but next change am gonna try Delo 400 for kicks and giggles.

Dino oil changed regularly is just fine in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Dancinbear wrote:
KIT............ 60 bucks for and oil change? Holy Moly, thats my whole annual oil maintainance budget for the year!

Consumer Reports magazine says synthetic is not worth the money. I have been using Rotella this last year....... but next change am gonna try Delo 400 for kicks and giggles.

Dino oil changed regularly is just fine in my opinion.
You know it is ridiculously high priced. I used to try this and try that, and I have tried just about every synthetic made.

Delo 400 , is what I use now. I like it, and have never heard of anyone using it not like it . It is only 11 dollars per blue jug at Wally World too.

Kit

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.