imported post

kips wrote:
Looking for some input on whether to use synthetic....thanks
Yep, use it.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I have always figured if the factory wanted it in the motor they would put it in. I have logged thousands of miles on bikes. I drag raced for 30 years turned motors well over 8 thousand rpm countless times. Never used syn oil and never had a problem. Change oil regular and use the extra money somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

There are websites that show it's usefulness over dino. However, I feel it is more directed toward those that don't change there oil when they should, it is a benefit for them. If you change out your oil regularly, you should have no problems, the benefit you get from sys, is in the long run, and that is not truly known as yet. There is no doubt that it is a good alternative. Is it worth the money, I don't know.:action:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well you can read all the articles. Do all the research. Thing is common sense is left out of the equation. Most of it is sales talk.

Our new bikes are recommended once the initial break in is done to be changed at 8000 mile intervals. This mileage interval is due to better oils in both Dino and syn.

Thing is oil no matter what kind or brand gets full of contaminants. It breaks down and does so before the 8000 mile interval. Some of the synthetics will go the distance, but in the fine print special filters are supposed to be used.

I suppose it is ok to go the 8000 mile change interval. Many people do.

I tend to let the bike tell me when to change oil. It will get to where it does not just quite shift as smooth as normally, that is when I change the oil. So far my bike seems to do good to 5000 miles and then it will start to get a bit stiff to shift when cold, and that is when I change the oil.

As I do change the oil before even the Honda manual tells me to do so, I use a Dino, oil I have used in bikes for a long time. It shifts as well as any synthetic and cost me 11 dollars at Walmart. Comparable synthetic oil is 36 dollars for one time around.

I love technology, new things, better things, but also try to use common sense with most things. I can run my bike all year for 50 dollars counting 3 oil filters, or I can spend 125 dollars for the same time interval.

And it is not just money for me, I can always go make some more of that, I am just simply aware that oil gets dirty, oil breaks down, and regular oil changes over shorter time intervals is better for your engine.

The above is just my opinion. Yours may vary.

The most important thing is to use slick oil. :D Kit

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

I've read and read on this subject. I have decided that I want as few VII's in my oil as I can get. So....I've gone with the HP4 - without molybdenum, for now. The stuff is suppose to have the shear resistance of synthetic oil. Besides....the price is right. $15 an oil change.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I use the regular Shell Rotella dino oil in my Wing.

Now I do use synthetic in the atvs. In fact, the Amsoil ATV oil I use stopped my wife's 04 Yamaha Bruin from smoking on start-up!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I run the Shell Rotella synthetic (blue jug) and go the full 8000 miles between changes. Kinda like Kit said, the dyno oil seems to stiffen up around 5000 miles, but I figure the blue jug Rotella gives me one less oil change per year, and since I ride year around........

Just my opinion, but I use it in all my bikes with no side effects, but remember--your mileage may vary!

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Victour78 wrote:
The OLE Syn OIl thread... I use Mobil one in my Truck and Bikes. the Bike shifted much better with the mobil. I thought I had Gear Dog problems but Nope just the Dino Oil..
I noticed this, right off. It shifted a lot better. I was beginning to think I wouldn't get the hang of shifting this thing. Soon as I switch out the oil, it was a lot smoother. However, I went from 10/40 to 20/50 at the same time. Still, I am good with the results.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Change oil? Some of you guys change your oil?

:cheeky1:

Rotella T Synthetic -- Honda ST1300

Delo 400 -- Honda ST1300/ KLR 650

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

I don't think there is a good reason to use sythetic. Unless you think you may get a million miles instead of 200,000 to 300,000 without a rebuild. :cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Use synthetic oil and Premium gasoline if you have bucks to waste. Otherwise regular gas and dino oil changed every 4000 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I split the difference.

In my bikes I use Castrol Syntec Blend.

How's that for walking the fence?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

My Vette came from the factory with Mobile 1 Syn. I can't complain about the oil. I have heard several mention their bikes shift smoother with the syn oil. I will go with a syn oil in my next oil change on the bike to see if mine shifts smoother.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I used Honda's Synthtic 10W40 on my 2nd oil change. At 3000 miles, I drained it to look at it, and very little stuck to my fingers. Some droped onto the ground after I pulled the pan out from under my wing, and it soaked in the ground like water. I couldnt even tell it was oil. I poured about a qt out, and it soaked into the ground as the first. I was shocked. The man who helped me also could not believe it. I do not know about any other Synthetic oil's, but Honda's Syn. Is NO WAY I will never use it again.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
I used Honda's Synthtic 10W40 on my 2nd oil change. At 3000 miles, I drained it to look at it, and very little stuck to my fingers. Some droped onto the ground after I pulled the pan out from under my wing, and it soaked in the ground like water. I couldnt even tell it was oil. I poured about a qt out, and it soaked into the ground as the first. I was shocked. The man who helped me also could not believe it. I do not know about any other Synthetic oil's, but Honda's Syn. Is NO WAY I will never use it again.
Nightrider1
Huh??

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1, I think you might of been getting some gasoline into your oil...But be that may, if you dump a quart of oil on the ground around here, you best be moving out before the next rain as the water will cause that quart of "oil" you poured out into the ground to "leach out" getting into the drainage ditches here killing peoples grass......Besides that is called pollution and is very frowned upon... no matter where you live.!!!!!

Working as a mechanic for quite a few years, I never seen oil that thin in any vehicle that I changed oil in, unless that vehiclewas getting gasoline into the oil,from cars, motorcycles, trucks, both gas and diesel, to heavy equipment.....I did have one mechanic who put 18 quarts of oil into a F-600 Ford truck beforeI noticed oil running out into the shop drainage ditch...He left the drain plug out !!!!!!....Thank goodness our drain had a grease trap and I was able to pump out all of that oil before it got into the Chemical plant waste water system.....That was his last day in that plant....

But back to the thread ....oil is like any thing else.....Different strokes for different folks...If you want to use synthetic oil that's great if not that's great too....Use what you like......My last Motorcycle I changed the oil at 3500 miles max....and it never gave me any grief.....

Claude....

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
My Vette came from the factory with Mobile 1 Syn. I can't complain about the oil. I have heard several mention their bikes shift smoother with the syn oil. I will go with a syn oil in my next oil change on the bike to see if mine shifts smoother.

Bernie
I'm one. The only difference I see is the shifting is smoother when I run synthetic. And I found it isn't always true with all synthetics. I tried the Rotella and I didn't get the smoother shifting I like, so I the next time I tried Mobil 1 and got the smoother shifting I like.

Amsoil seemed to give me the best shift, but I can't see spending $36 a gallon for oil, so I stopped buying it when the price went up so much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.