Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

How many of you are using synthetic oil in you 1800's and if so is there a recommendation for viscosity and or brand?

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I'm running Amsoil in my 1800. The owners manual recommends 10W-30, so that's what I'm using.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

aht_six wrote:
I'm running Amsoil in my 1800. The owners manual recommends 10W-30, so that's what I'm using.
Ditto. I'm sure all the name brands are just as good, that's just what I happen to use.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Mobil 1 4T Racing Motorcycle Oil 10W40. Works great for me.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

Ditto for me on the Amsoil 10w30.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I'm using Honda's full synthetic 10/30. I have not noticed any difference between that and a non synthetic and I'm not sure I'll not just switch back to a good 10/40 motor oil. I went to a synthetic on the advice of a Honda tech who told me I'd hear less gear box whine (my main beef about the wing). However, the synthetic did nothing for that.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Mobil 1 4T Racing Motorcycle Oil 10W40. Works great for me.:)

Gene:waving:
I've used 10W40 in every bike I've owned, you can get good prices for bulk buying too.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

You know, you can't use it in the Yellow ones, right?

;)

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
imported post

I'm always wondered about something. Can synthetic oil and petro oil be mixed together?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The oil companies do it all the time and call it "Semi-synthetic".

But they're watching viscosities. So I'd think that standard warnings apply to mixing different viscosities together.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Amsoil 10W40 for me. It shifts moother too!

Bernie

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I ride 12 months soI've usedthe 10w40 or 15w40 [the 'w' stands for winter]oil in mynewer high tolerance bikes. Had to use 10w30 in my older HDs as the 40 would be hard on gaskets & seals [they leaked anyway] LOL.

Since IC engines create hydrocarbons + hydro-everythingandbeingHydrogen= Acids, I worry more about amount of 'time' acidic oil spends in the engine.

Thus, I change my oil every 90 days to minimize corrosion. Being a poor fellow, I cannot afford synthetics or synthetic blends every 90 days + filters.
I ignore mileage & just change oil quarterly.

A litmus testis interesting and easyon changed oil.

It would seem that an alkaline additive [ie, lye, liquid lime] could be used for neutralizing acids to a safe pH and extend the life of the oil.

Lube, vehicle makers, techs, etc.,would not be happy to see the loss of revenue. If someone named it a "Green" product, they'd probably get rich [if they could explainHS chemistry to the generalpublic].

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Popeye wrote:
Since IC engines create hydrocarbons + hydro-everythingandbeingHydrogen= Acids, I worry more about amount of 'time' acidic oil spends in the engine.

Thus, I change my oil every 90 days to minimize corrosion. Being a poor fellow, I cannot afford synthetics or synthetic blends every 90 days + filters.
I ignore mileage & just change oil quarterly.

A litmus testis interesting and easyon changed oil.

It would seem that an alkaline additive [ie, lye, liquid lime] could be used for neutralizing acids to a safe pH and extend the life of the oil.

Lube, vehicle makers, techs, etc.,would not be happy to see the loss of revenue. If someone named it a "Green" product, they'd probably get rich [if they could explainHS chemistry to the generalpublic].
Welcome to the results of a study by the University of North Dakota.

A well-known aeronautical University, I read as a teenager, the results of a study they performed on aircraft engines.

Aircraft piston engines often must have their cams replaced as the lobes go out of tolerance when measured at tear-downs.

What UND did, was to separate the "upper" and "lower" oil circuits. The lower oil went toward acidic at a normal pace, while the upper oil stayed relatively neutral.

With the neutral oil, the cam lobe wear went towards zero after 2,000 hours of service. So, yep - the acidic oil is responsible for much of the wear.

Here in Mexico, I see a very casual approach towards engine maintenance amongst most car drivers. The result is - I see 199x and early 200x cars burning oil like crazy. When I talk amongst friends here, it seems that most seldom change their oil, and don't really understand the reason for doing so. They don't get that the oil has the pH of Coca Cola, and is eating their engine from the inside out.

That said - I change at 3,000 and pay more attention to miles than time. In my opinion, changing every quarter is fine too, as well as you're not driving the vehicle more than 15k miles per year.

Frequent oil changes - your good friend. Oil is cheaper than engine parts.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

MoneyGuy wrote:
I'm always wondered about something. Can synthetic oil and petro oil be mixed together?
Honda's HP4 is a synthetic petroleum blend. :)

John

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Lots of oil threads and opinions. I use the Shell Rotella T Synthetic, about $20 per gallon at Wally World. Its a decent oil for a reasable price.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

good ol' rotella "T" nothing but.. no problems with clutch slippage and stuff... at least with my 1100.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

AMSOIL 10w40...the Wing does seem a little quieter running with it instead of regular oil. I change oil and filter every 3000 miles or when I do a "color" check and it looks a little dirty. I take the dipstick and wipe it on a clean, white paper towel. If it has very much of a brown color instead of a translucent look, for me it's time to change. Like the man said "oil and filters are cheaper than an engine".

And I don't know if anyone else has experienced this with pure synthetics, but overthe last10 tankfuls of gas, my average mpg has come up a tad (about 1-1.5 mpg more). Thatto me indicates there's better lubrication going on inside the engine. That's not scientific data by any means, but it sorta makes sense. But oil preference is purely personal...gotta love the fact we have so many choices.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.