Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

FINALY GOT AROUND TO PUTTING NEW CABLES IN.WHEN DONE I TOOKOLD ONES APART.TO SEE HOW BAD THEY WERE.HAD BEEN PUTTING IN GRAPHITE IN CABLE HOUSINGS DO NOT DO THAT AS IT WILL BUILD UP INSIDE HOUSEING.AND MAKE THEM BIND UP CLEAND BOTH OUT LOOK GOOD.AND SPIN FREE.PUT A LITTLE GREASE IN NEW ONES GOOD TO GO.LESSON LEARNED....

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I just picked up a new speedo cable yesterday(among other small, needed parts) and dribbled some 3-in-1 oil into the top 'head', gave it a few 'spins'and am letting it hang there for the night, to distribute the oil inside the housing, in hopes of preventing failure in the future.

Although the previous cable only had 60,000k on it, it was 16+ years old.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

on my '82 I use cable lube. just removed the cable at thespeedo and tach, and spray a bunch down into the cable housing. gravity helps it go to the bottom.no more funny sounds.,,

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I like the 3in1 oil or some 30w motor oil in a small syringe. My tach made a buzzing sound when it got to around 20-25 degrees this winter. Never heard it before during the summer. I unhooked it and let gravity just let it run right down into the cable. Havent heard anything since. I've noticed squeeks,creeks and leaks happen alot to the Oldwings in the Winter temps when getting below freezing wind chill factors. Something I'll just have to get used to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.