Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Please help. Forgive my ignorance as I try to describe the problem with my 1980 GL1100. The main gear which comes from the cam and drives the tach gear has broken off where it enters the tach gear housing. Obviously the tach no longer functions, but does this gear also drive the fuel pump? I ask because now the bike wont start, and seems to be fuel starved. Also, can this gear even be replaced? I have been searching for days and can not find one anywhere. It is not even named or listed in my Clymer manual

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Sit camelkegs! :waving::waving:

There's a eccentric cam on the end of the gear furthest away from the head that drives the fuel pump. Your best bet for replacement would to buy a used head from a source like eBay. You won't be able to find a new part as they've been discontinued for some time. A used head is usually priced pretty reasonably.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks exavid for the quick reply. quess it's time to go shopping. Just out of curiosity, I can live without a tach if need be. Do you think this can this be fixed with an electronic fuel pump?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah you could get by with an electric pump, though it is nice to have a tach. You'd need to keep the base of the old pump and seal up the tach cable hole and eigher leave the fuel pump on or make a cover for the fuel pump base to prevent oil leaks.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the advice. I think that the Randakks pump may be the simplest solution to get me up and running until I can get the time to exchange the head. After the head exchange the pump should still be a good investment down the road. I will keep everyone updated.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

You don't have to change the whole head, just the cam shaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.