Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

We have an 06 1800 which has been in the shop regularly since we bought this two years ago. New alternator was replaced at 8k. The local dealer felt there was nothing wrong. My Traxxion installer insisted it was bad the first couple of minutes he heard the bike runningand when pulled, you could barely turn the shaft.

Thetranny rebuilt at 12k after a year of numerous complaints of it juimping out of gear and finally the rear locking up. Quite a few other services weredone under warranty.

I put about 3k miles on it since getting it back in May. The idle drops to just below the first line on the tach once in a while, which I assume is 500 rpm's. The idle huntingthen causes the lights to dim, really noticeable at night.Iwanted to make sure my assumption of that first line is 500 rpm. The alternator is also quite loud, which was the indicator to replace the first one. There was no drop in output voltage.

A new battery was installed this year trying to solve the lights dimming issue.The local dealer suggested installing a battery capacitor for $50 plus labor. That to me seems like masking the symptom. The bike has not yet stalled.

The shop that did the tranny rebuild is willing to look into the low/idle hunting issue.

The passenger heater control, used once by us, was replaced under warranty a couple months ago when the control could not be turned.

Just trying to make sure I have not overlooked anything before incurring more expense on this bike.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Wow, that's a lot of problems.

I have no solutions, but I have to ask if anyone has done an ECM reset for idle speed reset?

The alternators on all 1800's are relatively noisy, but my 2007 is even louder than my 2002 was.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Welcome, WelcomeTo Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were :15red:'sin their previous lives and can answer any question you have. Theforums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info aboutGoldwing’s and are where you ask questions and can get help..

For Sale/Wanted ForumGood stuff for Sale or if you have old parts sitting around the garage you would like to get rid of....

:18red::15red::12red::11red:

And when all you need is a good laugh to start your day try the:: Fun Forum After that it’s up to you which of the others you will like the best all I can do is suggest.

Again Welcome to the Forum...

Oh and did I mention everyone here loves pictures.. Show us some of yours... Even if it’s not a Goldwing just a pretty view

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

Alternators on 06 and later models are much noisier, probably because they spin faster to give a higher voltage output.
You seem to have had bad luck with the transmission, I'm glad you were able to get it fixed under warranty.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

FINALLY! 2.5 yrs since we bought this, it is running properly and has NO issues.

The cause of the idle hunting, low rpm's, lights dimming was caused by a faulty ECM. Can't begin to even express all the time and effort that was expended on that issue.

Many thanks to the folks and mechanic at Lancaster Honda, especially Keven Maddox (sales manager) that was responsible for the orchestration of the transport and repairs, for sticking with us and working to find an answer to this problem. If it were not for this dealership, the bike would have been sold two years ago, as is.

GD shame we could not get any local dealers to even look at the problem, saying there was none.

The second alternator was pulled (@16k miles) and bench tested. That was found to be ok.

Hope that helps some other owner the years of aggravation we went though dealing with this GOld Wing. The transmission was also rebuit by Lancaster Honda. The ONLY dealership that would attempt to do so that I contacted.

None of this would have been possible without the referral from Marc Connelly in Lake George, a Traxxion dealer/installer, and hell of a nice guy!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Good to hear you have it resolved. How many miles do you have on this bike?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It is under 17k miles, and there is a good possibility it will go for sale after July. We put a LOT of acce$$ories on it this past winter, and the winter before that. It does not need a thing.........other than I just found a post that addresses the noise in the audio caused by faulty ground. Until today, no one was aware of that problem nor how to fix it, or that would have been done as well.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

You must have one built late on Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.