Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got my first Wing, but not my first bike. She's an 86 GL1200 Interstate. The tach does not register until the bike is warmed up and then responds slowly. The needle is steady as a rock with no jump so I don't think it is the cable. Once warm the tach seems to read right but is still slow. Any suggestions as to the problem other then to replace the tach? Thanks in advance for any advice and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum,

your tach should be electronic and is fed from the right hand coil, it works by 'counting' the ignition pulses.

If the engine is running ok without missing then you may have a loose connection, check your wiring before going to the expense of changing a meter.

on bikes that havn't been run for a while, the grease used on themovement mechanism for the needle goes sticky and slows the movement down. this can be fixed by opening the meter and carefully spraying the mechanism with a thin oil like WD40 before regreasing.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

1200 are great bikes with serious electronic issues... the coneections (as mentioned above) corrode (darn still cannot spell) and make bad contacts... the worst... no THE WORST is the the three lead yellow wires from the alternator. these go and then VERY EXPENSIVE fix..... chech...double check ALL connections (also the four lead into the starter seleniod

otherwise I love my wife... I mean my wife's 1200... opps I mean my wife

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

W3JNP wrote:
Just got my first Wing, but not my first bike. She's an 86 GL1200 Interstate. The tach does not register until the bike is warmed up and then responds slowly. The needle is steady as a rock with no jump so I don't think it is the cable. Once warm the tach seems to read right but is still slow. Any suggestions as to the problem other then to replace the tach? Thanks in advance for any advice and ride safe.
The slow response sounds like the tach itself might be on the way out. Time for eBay!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.