Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Looking for a potable tachometer to help me tune my carbs. Does anyone know where I can get one that will work. I see lot of non-contact and contact tachs but I want one that clamps on to the spark plug wire.

Thanks
Firemedic268

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I may not be correct about this but I think that you'll get a reading twice as fast as the engine is turning over because of the wasted spark ignition. There is spark provided to the non-firing cylinders because of the shared ignition. However, I may be mistaken about this. We'll see if anyone else chimes in on this.

Anyway, I hope you find what you need.

Hobie

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

A handheld pulse tach may be of interest... standardstuff for small engine repair shops. Some have RS-232 input... do a search, many will pop-up:

http://www.tinytach.com/design/handheld.php

I have the tt-20.. works fine.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Photo tachs generally use reflective tape (or some other reflective surface) to measure revolutions.... Take a portion of the red & white reflective safety tape found on... say, a safety inspectors hard-hat, place it on a hamster wheel while the little bugger is hard at work, and mearsure the quality of his excersie....

Visible laser beam gets reflected back to unit....

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
Yeah, its reflective tape. Contents of the box includes 24" of reflective tape. You stick a 1" piece of reflective tape on the belt pully, point the laser at it, and it counts revolutions per minute. Extremely accurate and reliable, IF you can get to the belt pully to stick the tape on.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Well guys I bought a automotive Multi-meter that has a tach and dwell feature. With that I am still not having any luck getting my pilot valves set. Don't know if I am impatient or if I'm just not doing it right. At time It is like I'm not getting fuel to the number one cylinder. Got spark just no combustion. Not sure the problem.

Firemedic268

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.