Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,

I'm new to this lark!! as a lapsed winger I have just brought a UK spec 1800 on an 02 plate, it has no tail/brake lights in the saddlebags. I have the bulb holder but seem to of lost my confidence with the wiring, anybody help with some easy to understand instructions?!!!!!!!! Believe me they need to be very easy to understand, this is the first job I have done on this bike and have to get it right!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Hi Snowflake and welcome to the best Goldwing web site.

What I did, is purchased the two harnesses from "HondaDirectLine" and at the same time the various bulbs and bulb holders. Depending on which version of bike you have (USA Spec or UK Spec or EU Spec) depends on wire colours. If a USA bike then its plug and play, all others its find the wiring diagram and match wires to suit.
The saddle bag lamps already have provision for the holders but you will need to remove some of the plastic that fills it in.

Be careful unscrewing the nuts that hold the lenses in as some are going round and round.

Its a PIA but worth it when you finish

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Snowflake,

since you have the European spec bike it wil not have plug and play facility, so you will need to splice into the wiring for the top box lighting.

As Globetrotter said, you will need to drill and file out the back of the lamp housing, but the outline is at least marked out to follow. Thsi will be likely to leave plastic swarf in the lense area, which you should shake or vacuum out.

Two small holes can be drilled in the bottom inside corners of the panniers to allow the wires to be routed up to under the top box. If you remove the trunk under panel this will give you access to the wiring for the top box lights.

I don't know which wires are which but you should be able to trace them to the lamp holders in the top box and these are the ones that you will need to splice into.

I am at the same stage as you and have this to do also. I have fitted the trim lights to the top bx and panniers too and luckily this gives a set of wires spare for me to splice into, since it comes with the trim lights from Cyclemax Ohio.

I intend to use a volt meter to identify which is the brake and which are the side light wires.

Hope this helps a little bit and I am sure someone will jump in to give you more definative answers.:waving:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Welcome Snowflake to the Best Info site in the World.

Good Luck on your project. I am sure someone will pop in that has a wiring diagram of the 02 to help you with wire and the wire colors.

Hey, Silverfox,,,,, You have come so far in the last few years. I remember posts back then where you always said you weren't a mechanic. See? Loving these Wings make ya one. As you want to do the work yourself and not let anybody else touch them.

Hey Guys Have a GREAT WEEKEND.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I am still less than wise Mowhawk, only by help from folks on here do I get by!!!:)

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

hi silverfox,
thanks for your reply, I have now taken out the topbox lense and can see 2 sets of 3 wires goinjg into the bulb holder! green &red, green and brown& white, am I right in thinking these are both the same as it has two bulbs for both tail and brake? can I then trace these back and splice into either one? Getting colder by the minute!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

You must be on the right track Snowflake.

Has your bike got headlight on all the time, or do you have a switch for the lights?

Probably easier to identify which is which if the bike has a switch for the headlights and tail lights, becuae you could stick a voltmeter on each wire and see which comes live with the ignition. The brake light wire shoudl be easier to identify, because the wire for that will only become live when you touch the brake pedal.

Without someone telling you which wire colour does what, I think the voltmeter would be the only way to determin this, unless you could make up a bulb on wires to use as a test lamp,that would light up at the right time when lights are switched on or brake light pressed.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

Snowflake wrote:
hi silverfox,
thanks for your reply, I have now taken out the topbox lense and can see 2 sets of 3 wires goinjg into the bulb holder! green &red, green and brown& white, am I right in thinking these are both the same as it has two bulbs for both tail and brake? can I then trace these back and splice into either one? Getting colder by the minute!!!!!!!
Yes you can, I have done this conversion on my 04 but did not go into the loom under the back sheler which proved easier.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

So where did you splice in David, don't leave us in suspense? :)

Another thing to ask Snowflake is, the bulbs and holders you are fitting, are they double fillament bulbs for tail and stop or just single for tail light only?

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
So where did you splice in David, don't leave us in suspense? :)
There is a single piece of loom that goes to the top box on the right hand side looking at it from the rear.

unwrap it and the splice into a green and a brown and white is what i did.

Welshwinger (Nick) is the expert..

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

here we go again!!!! Thanks for all your replies they are very helpful for a dunderhead like me!!! The bulbs I am trying to fit are the double fillament, tail and brake I brought the holders from wingbitz and they came with 3 pigtails red, green (earth I assume) and brown, all I need to know is which colour goes to which!!!!! Once again thanks very much for all your help, this really is the dog,s doobries of a web site!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Come back again if you are still struggling Snowflake we will get you all lit up somehow and then I can get to doing mine, once I can get at the bike in the mess in the garage!!!!:shock:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks very much Silverfox! I have been forced into a day off today, but intend attacking it again tomorrow at first light! Stand to!!!!!! I have finally realised that there are two feedss and the earth works as the negative!! I was hung up on thinking about live and neutral!!! I can only apologise for my stupidity and promise to get better given time!!!!
All the best and once again thanks very much to all who helped. I will let you know how I get on!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Pictures, pictures!!!!!!:clapper:

please take pictures and post them on here of what you do and how you go about it.

This will certainly help any UK members thinking of going about this since the US spec bikes are so easy and just plug and play, where as add ons to the UK/European ones need splicing in.

It will benefit me and ohers if you get some snaps and maybe describe what you do to "see the light"

:clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Yes OK mate I will try and take photos but as we all know blokes are not that good at multi tasking!!!! At least you will be spared the sound!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

SilverFox, Mission accomplished I will try to describe what I got up too a bit later on, at the moment I am being forced to partake in some malt whiskey in celebration!!No pictures I'm afraid as the camera died on me

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Excellent news Snowflake and I am glad to hear that you have the malt sorted too!!!:cheeky1:

Shame about the camera packing up on you, but then again, if you could still take pictures of any of the results of your labours and write up a little report of what you did it would still be most helpful.:)

I got your pm and shall respond soon. :waving:

Well done and I look forward to seeing the lights from behind. Perhaps you might be able to join us in Rotherham on the 22nd, details of that are in a sticky in the events section. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Now then Siverfox, back again sorry it took so long but pressures of work and all that!

I'll tell you what I did to wire these saddlebag lights in but I've no doubt someone will have a better way!! I look forward to hearing from them!

I removed the seat, inner saddlebag top cover, topbox bottom plate,and the saddlebag lenses.

Then I traced where the indicator wire went from the saddlebag up into the middle of the bike and piggybacked my tail/brake light wires to this. Once into the middle I then fed the wires through into the bottom of the top box where they would be covered once the bottom plate is replaced.

From there still at the bottom of the top box I spliced the wires into the existing tail/brake light wires just before the connector, green was earth! the other two are the feeds, one for tail, one for brake. I didn't have a voltmeter so I just went for it! It works perfectly.

Once that was done it is then just a simple matter of drilling out the saddlebag lense, little bit of filing and junior hacksaw to make a bayonet type hole and then inserted the bulb holder into the lense and away you go!

I know what you are saying about being apprehensive about messing with the wires, I'm exactly the same and ended up checking and re-checking hundreds of times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I brought the bulb holders from Keith at wingbitz.com He was very helpful and there was no problem at all with any of the kit he sent! It was good to manage to find someone as helpful as him on my first foray into the accessories bit! He is located in the UK as well which made delivery a piece of cake, I would highly recommend him to all.

I've just read all this back and it seems like double dutch but once you start it will click into place!

It took me 2 days to finish, but most of that was swearing and checking, then swearing again because I was checking to often!!!!! Bring on the Malt.

Hope this is of some use to you

All the very best, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Nice write up Snowflake and I should be able to print that off and use it to help me attempt the job myself. Ilook forward to having more lights to the rear since it is always better to be seen with.
I have the front driving lights fitted to the lower cowl, also waiting for me to pluck up courage to attack the wiring.
Great instructions come with them, just nervous of tackling it all.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Hope it is of some use to you, don't hesitate to give me a shout if I can help in any way. I'm no expert by a very, very, very long way but I'm sure you will sort it! My next project will be the driving lights but will need your advice all along the way if you have already done them!!!!!

All the very best

Snowflake

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.