Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I don't know if it's just me but when I'm on the Wing I must be a magnet for every @#&* that wants to drive so close to my back end that you can see the scratcheson their license plate. I usually do about 5-10 Km/h over the speed limit so there is no need to follow that close. I usually point at them and make gestures for them to back off which usually works but it happens so often I'm gettingtired of it. Funny thing is it happens way more often on the bike than in my car.:X:X:X

Before I go "postal" on someone... what do you guys do when someone pulls right up behind you but doesn't pass and do you notice it more on your bike that the car. I know that I should just pull to the side and let them pass but then I would spend half of the ride on the shoulder.

Maybe I need "Professional Counselling" :grinner::grinner::grinner:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Well it happens on this side of the border too. I don't know why but people do tend to get way to close. If it's a city street and not a lot of traffic I have been known to slow down very slow and make the fools slow down and since it's a city street there's usually no way to pass. I also make a few gestures but it doesn't do any good...just makes me feel better. I don't know the answer. It's the same people that don't see you at an intersection and pull in front of you. I know about the "KILL A BIKER GO TO JAIL" campain, but I still think more should be done.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

The mannerly thing to do is to move in and let them pass ,,there is nothing as annoying as a bike holding up the traffic ,,There is always room for a car to pass if the biker moves over ,,If the guy in the car wants to get caught for speeeding ,then let him ,,I check my mirrors al the time and if I see a car approaching I move in to let him pass ,,that way he does not sit on your tail ,,,ciaran

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

What I have noticed, isthe tailgater is usually on the phone! Which makes me feel even better :2finger:. If I pulled over every time some one got on my tail it would take me1 1/2 hoursto get homefrom work instead of 45 minutes.I am always flowing with traffic or passing it!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
The mannerly thing to do is to move in and let them pass ,,there is nothing as annoying as a bike holding up the traffic ,,There is always room for a car to pass if the biker moves over ,,If the guy in the car wants to get caught for speeeding ,then let him ,,I check my mirrors al the time and if I see a car approaching I move in to let him pass ,,that way he does not sit on your tail ,,,ciaran
I agree! The problem is, it seems that some of these people use me as a speed regulator to keep them from speeding even more (I'm usually 5-10 over). They figure they can talk on the phone, ignore their speedometer and day dream happily down the road!

Bob

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

I get that all the time too, I usually turn right around on my seat and lip to them "GET OFF MY A**" then if they dont' I'll start to weave back and forth. If I wouldn't get in trouble I would pull and old trick a Harley buddy used to do, he had a leather bag on the side of his bike that he kept old spark plugs in, if someone tailgated him he would just drop a plug on the road! You should see those plugs bounce. I had a kid for a while that would tailgate me to work every morning, I actually put small rocks in my pocket I was going to drop out on the road, but luckily for him and me I never saw him again.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Yes, we get all that over here too. I don't rise to it, mainly I meander on my merry way, and in next to no time we are up to some traffic and i casually slip a few cars ahead and nine times out of ten don't see the tailgater again. The ones I like the best, are the boy racers who just have to get past me and when they have and come to some traffic, I again just jauntilly sale past them. That really hacks them off big time!! I always have a friendly wave for the tailgaters:2finger:but I sometimes feel a bit silly when I realise afterwards that I've got my no fingered mitts on:blushing:

Slightly vindictive, but I do like the seruptitious use of old sparkplugs, dropped descreatly. Now although I wouldn't actually resort to this, it is the thought that counts, and it brings a smile to my face thinking of the look on the drivers as they dodge the shrapnel!!:goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
Hey Wexman, why do you want to be mannerly to these jerks? We're not talking about some bike going 20 under the speed limit. We're not a bike holding up traffic. I'm notmoving over for them. Maybe it's still the youngster in me (yeah it's there somewhere), but I'm not going to give in to these people. Like some said here, it's usually someone on the phone, or more recently, a teenage girl. These gals have become more aggressive than the boys.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
wexman wrote:
I agree! The problem is, it seems that some of these people use me as a speed regulator to keep them from speeding even more (I'm usually 5-10 over). They figure they can talk on the phone, ignore their speedometer and day dream happily down the road!

Bob
Bob, I am not being sexist, I seriously think that women are generally better drivers than men, but the gals up your a***e do it because they have less spacial awareness and don't have a clue that they are too close, the guys however know it and are just being a pain!! Both sets are a menace on the road, along with many other groups.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

You know I ride with a bottle of tanning lotion handy at all times. My skin is so sensitive and delicate. I feel so sorry for those folk who are following too close when I decide to squirt some on my head and shoulders as I ride. It can make such a mess of their windscreens.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
You know I ride with a bottle of tanning lotion handy at all times. My skin is so sensitive and delicate. I feel so sorry for those folk who are following too close when I decide to squirt some on my head and shoulders as I ride. It can make such a mess of their windscreens.
Ex wife and her sister did exactly that to a couple of youths who got hairy with their driving, only they used very oily baby lotion. Lord knows how long it took them to clean it off!!

Pete

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Brojees wrote:
Ex wife and her sister did exactly that to a couple of youths who got hairy with their driving, only they used very oily baby lotion. Lord knows how long it took them to clean it off!!

Pete
OK, thats given me an idea, how about an old windshield washer bottle with pump, in the saddlebag, a momentary switch at the handle bars, and a single nozzle mounted under the trunk, but aimed so that it hits at windshield height when the button is pressed? Fill bottle with favorite concoction, when tailgater gets too close, hit the button! See their faces in your rearview mirror, the thrills, the curses that follow you, I think it would be great.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

This is all getting very James Bond, and I like it:clapper::clapper:

Pete

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I did the windshield washer pump thing on my truck:cooldevil: It works great... I haven't had the problem with tailgaters on my bike, but in my truck:shock: So I got a washer bottle with the enclosed pump and wired it up to a switch in the cab:cooldevil: The look on peoples face is priceless:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Man... the middle finger thing is great but you boys are just pure evil. I'm sitting here LMAO

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Bob, I am not being sexist, I seriously think that women are generally better drivers than men, but the gals up your a***e do it because they have less spacial awareness and don't have a clue that they are too close, the guys however know it and are just being a pain!! Both sets are a menace on the road, along with many other groups.

Pete
You are dead wrong about women being better drivers in my area. The sweet young things really get aggressive, don't think a thing about cutting me off and hitting the brakes when I'm driving a 24 ton coach. They talk on the phone, wave their hands around while they do so, put on make up, turn around to tend kids in the back seat, etc., etc. Most of them have no idea of the physics of moving objects, never heard of inertia, momentum or Isaac Newton's laws of motion. A hell of a lot of them have an "I don't have to take any crap from you when I'm in my car" attitude. It's gotten so I hate to see female drivers in small two door Japanese cars and god forbid, the most popular for these frustrated warriors, a SUV. That really gives them the 'King of the Road' complex.

As for tailgaters, I don't pick fights. A motorcycle is sure vulnerable to an insane idiot who wants to ram you or force you off the road.You have the evasive advantage but often there's nowhere to go and you might not see it coming. I just move over and slow down if there's any hope for them to pass, speed up and get away from them if I have to, or in worst case scenarios I've pulled over and stopped. A fool on the phone close behind me is scarier to me than a patch of sand in the middle of a fine fast curve.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One more thought on the matter. Earlier this week a fellow on a bike was nearly killed near my place. He was stopped at a stoplight in a line of cars, his bike being the rear most vehicle in line. A guy came up from behind, didn't see the cars stopped and rear ended the bike. The impact occurred at a speed of around 40-45mph. The bike rider wascritically injured when he and his bike became the meat in a two car sandwich. Which brings me to my point. Whenever in a line of stopped vehicles I always stay to one side or another of the lane with the bike angled a bit to the outside of the line in the hopes that if I do get rammed the bike and I will get kicked out of line and not squashed in between. I always hit the 4 ways if I get stopped on a road for construction or some such, and keep a watch in my mirror for vehicles coming up behind me. When they do come up behind I hit my brakes to trigger the modulator. If you see one coming a bit fast, move out of the way and let them hit a car instead. You can NEVER be sure someone moving up on you will stop. ALWAYS keep watch and have an escape route.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

There should be no excuse for a motorcycle holding up traffic ,,No matter who is behind you ,,I still think it is bad manners and selfish to sit in the middle of the road when you have the space to move over and let other traffic by ,,How many times have we come up behind a car or a truck sitting in the middle of the road and how many of usget aggitated when they dont move over ,?,So come on lads be generous and let the people behind you pass ,,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Ciaran,

Iwasn't talking about holding up traffic. I meant when your going with the flow and some #$*& sits about 10' off your back. He can't pass, he certainly won't be any further ahead if he gets around you but never the less there he or she is. I do agree that I would rather be behind him than him behind me but it happens way too often to pull over every time. I really think these people have the "it's my world and welcome to it" mentality. I also think these people think they're much tougher while they are in they're cars. I have invited many of them to the side of the road but none have taken me up on the offer. One other observation... it seem the more expensive the car the worse the driver.

Enough ranting from me I have to go drive about 100 km this afternoon. IfI see any tailgaters I'll try to be polite.

Have a great weekend everyone.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.