Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 gl1800. 98k miles. Got at 84k miles. Not original owner. 1st goldwing I've had. Have been on a cross country trip since September 4th. 3/6 taillights have gone out.
Lights out:
1. top, left, inner bulb. No running light, but lights up when brakes applied
2. Top, right, inner bulb was jiggled around, and lights up WEAKLY now, but doesn't light up under braking
3. Bottom, right bulb, under taillight. Doesn't light up no matter what. Sometimes it comes on weakly. I've even kicked the housing and it turned on. Clearly a bad connection.

I've pulled the housing and bulbs out. Seems some the lights work when pressed in or wiggled around. So it's not making good connection. Troubleshooting? Replace?

Replace the black connector things that the bulbs plug into? The pieces that "screw" back into the housing. Some of the arms broke off anyways, so don't fit well. Suppose they'll need replacing anyways. Replace bulbs entirely? Replace bulbs and connector things?

Think all the bulbs are LED. Not sure of brand or model or series. No markings. My top, outside bulbs are the flashing kind when brakes applied. Don't know if that's the bulbs themselves or a relay of sorts. Not the original owner. What bulbs and/or connectors should I get? Brand/series/model type? Thank you.

Right, top bulbs. Outer bulb on right, inner on left. Lights on pic is no brake applied.

·
Administrator
26,948 Posts
I think I would try some regular bulbs before condemning the sockets.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis

·
Administrator
26,948 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
2004 gl1800. 98k miles. Got at 84k miles. Not original owner. 1st goldwing I've had. Have been on a cross country trip since September 4th. 3/6 taillights have gone out.
Lights out:
1. top, left, inner bulb. No running light, but lights up when brakes applied
2. Top, right, inner bulb was jiggled around, and lights up WEAKLY now, but doesn't light up under braking
3. Bottom, right bulb, under taillight. Doesn't light up no matter what. Sometimes it comes on weakly. I've even kicked the housing and it turned on. Clearly a bad connection.

I've pulled the housing and bulbs out. Seems some the lights work when pressed in or wiggled around. So it's not making good connection. Troubleshooting? Replace?

Replace the black connector things that the bulbs plug into? The pieces that "screw" back into the housing. Some of the arms broke off anyways, so don't fit well. Suppose they'll need replacing anyways. Replace bulbs entirely? Replace bulbs and connector things?

Think all the bulbs are LED. Not sure of brand or model or series. No markings. My top, outside bulbs are the flashing kind when brakes applied. Don't know if that's the bulbs themselves or a relay of sorts. Not the original owner. What bulbs and/or connectors should I get? Brand/series/model type? Thank you.

Right, top bulbs. Outer bulb on right, inner on left. Lights on pic is no brake applied.

Obviously this is a different configuration than my 1983 Aspencade. But when I first tried to use LED's in the sockets, I had pretty much the same experience. What I found was the bulb base fits loose in the sockets. How I fixed the problem was gently squeeze the sides of the socket into an egg shape with a pair of pliers. While that fixed the problem with LED's working, after I put the lens back on the bike, I noticed that while the lights themselves were brighter, they didn't illuminate the "Red" lenses as well as the incandescent bulbs did.

But when I put Amber Colored LED's in, it created a near match to original. Win, Win, as long as you take everyone's advice in this forum and change the Regulator/Rectifier out with a MOSFET. See Guys..... I do listen to your advice! :0 Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts