Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wouldn't allow more than 1 pic so here is one of the front. All the parts are there, in the compartments and in boxes.

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Deer whistles? Any idea how long the heads have been off, and has it sat outside for sometime with the heads off? Little things can be fixed (if you can find the parts) but if the engine is toast, you have a problem

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Jerry, Having been a mechanic for 40 years and Tim's expertise as a mechanic I consider a lot of things to be an temporaryimpossability. The motor has been apart for awhile but it has not set outside while apart. It has been in the storage shed. :waving:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Thats the greatest bike I have see in a long time....... Deer Whistles..... You know the PO took care of that baby!!

I Like Deer Whistles! They work

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have been an amateur mechanic for over 40 years, but I mostly specialize in vintage cars, and vintage based race cars. Have built a lot of vintage car engines, more small block Chevys than anything else. Built my current drag race car, small block Chevy in an '85 Camaro body.

But motorcycles are different. You can get parts for a small block Chevy anywhere, from stock parts to high dollar racing parts. There is literally a ton of information out there on building one. Motorcycle engines, except for Harleys, are not designed to be rebuilt, many parts for a bike that old are not available anymore (I ran into this big time working on my own 1200) and many parts that can be remachined and reused in car engines have the be replaced in motorcycle engines. For example, if the cam/head clearance is to great, or if either is damaged, both have to be replaced, as there are no bearings.

I'm sure you are aware of all this, but it bothers me big time when something cannot be rebuilt over and over again.

I own 2 vintage cars, and will never consider a newer one, because they cannot be worked on with basic hand tools and mechanical skills. Fortunately your bike has no electronics, so if you can find the parts, and hopefully a lot of what you have is still good, you will be ok. Best of luck with it, I hope you decide to start a rebuild thread on it, complete with pictures. I just love seeing old bikes brought back to life.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It was pulled down because when the original owner died he left it to his son-in-law who rode instead of his own kids who didn't so without telling him, he lived out of state and was going to make the trip to pick it up in the spring but they pushed it outside and left it out all winter. Water got in the motor and made a mess of things. Froze a valve and then when he tried to start it, well let's just say it needs a couple of parts now.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

My guess is you could get a running one cheaper than what it will cost you to get that one running again. If there was water in the motor who knows what it looks like inside the case. I would say that this one is only worth the some of it's useable parts and that doesn't include the motor. Do you want to ride or do you want to wrench. If you like to wrench and like puzzles then this may be good therapy for you :) If you want to ride you will end up hating this.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
My guess is you could get a running one cheaper than what it will cost you to get that one running again. If there was water in the motor who knows what it looks like inside the case. I would say that this one is only worth the some of it's useable parts and that doesn't include the motor. Do you want to ride or do you want to wrench. If you like to wrench and like puzzles then this may be good therapy for you :) If you want to ride you will end up hating this.
Agree!
I wonder how water got inside? was it parked outside without the plugs in it?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

A decent used engine will work out cheaper, and less work involved.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I can certainly understand wanting a project, but that is a little more than I would be willing to take on. To me it would be endless frustration. I do not have a machine shop, and have had all the machine work on my car engines done locally. But after about 20 calls, I have been unable to find a machine shop willing to touch my rear wheel. VERY grateful to ceasefire49 for giving me another one. With a bank full of money, and plenty of parts availability, it would be a different matter.

Don't get the wrong idea here, but if it were a Harley it would also be a different matter. They are simple, easy to work on, and have an unlimited supply of parts available. Harley has been criticized over and over for building nothing but cruisers, but that is what Harley buyers want. And both Harley and the aftermarket support what Harley builds.

Even as popular as Goldwings are, there is virtually no support for the older ones, either from Honda or the aftermarket. I could be happy riding an 1100 or 1200 for the rest of my life if they could be kept going forever, like Harleys can. I am not exactly the Harley type, but they do have a lot of things going for them, once you get past the image.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

Unless I had a good motor sitting on a bench ready to go in along with a fresh set of carbs. I wouldn't touch it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.