Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, and happy Friday!
Last summer (yes a year ago) I tore my late 90's GL1500 down primarily to get to the rear brake cylinder to rebuild it. While I was in there, I order other parts to do maintenance and worked around through replacing the timing belts, and even up into the front and worked on the brakes there and the headlight assembly. I was devoting a lot of time to this, and was able to stay on it. I labeled parts as I took them off, but I did not take pictures step by step. Huge mistake. I got called away suddenly to work, and then when I got home my dog of 15 years got sick and passed away. I just lost motivation. But now I'm back. I find all of the parts and all of their fasteners on the workbench to be a bit daunting.

I'm working through the forums and am getting some insight and instruction there, but what I'm wondering is if anyone is aware of a piece by piece takedown instruction with pictures and a put back? I know its a long shot, but I thought I'd see if one was out there.

Thanks kindly.

Matthew

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
A Honda GL1500 service manual is what you are looking for.

Reactions: limpy45

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Post a picture of bike showing what is off and of the parts on the bench. Hopefully you put the fasteners with the tin/plastic that came off. The Forum collectively could more than likely do the job of pointing out what goes where. Fun thread to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it's going better than I thought. I'm taking my time, but I ran into a snag. I put the of the bike back together (fairings, crash bars, headers etc etc) and it all went well except that I discovered I left the right front heat shield off. I have a note on it from when I took it off last year, and it says it goes on above the Right Side Headers (think exhaust manifold). I found a used service manual, so you can see what I'm talking about in the pictures I have attached. Three questions - 1. If I do not instal this what I'm I looking at as far as consequences (I am an oem kind of guy, but.....)
2. If I do instal this, what am I looking at undoing? I do not have a feel for how much I need to backtrack to get it back on the bike. Anybody have any pictures of where this goes? I can't tell from the manual.
3. (unrelated) - I'm missing a grommet like the one in my third picture. It is for the wheel cover on the front. A plastic cover has a "nipple" that goes in there. Is this an autozone capable part or do I need to go online and get a honda replacement?

Thanks you all,

Matthew

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post a picture of bike showing what is off and of the parts on the bench. Hopefully you put the fasteners with the tin/plastic that came off. The Forum collectively could more than likely do the job of pointing out what goes where. Fun thread to do.
yessir I kept the fasteners taped to their respective parts! Thank the heavens.

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,378 Posts
Also you can secure the cover with a cable tie drilling a small hole on the cover as shown below. Because it is easy to lose the cover if not seated properly.
20200503_154552.jpg

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
I can only vaguely remember the right side heat shield install. They jam a lot of stuff in there. Right side header removal is fairly easy so to keep any plastic from melting or burnt paint I would make the effort to install, whats a few more minutes of work after 1 1/2yrs. Fairly certain one goes behind header and other bolts up to it. No pic of the front just a little rearward. DSC_6509f.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts