Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

For fathers day my wife purchased a 84' Aspy for me. I have enjoyed the forum info from the wise ole sages. I think I am in need of some wisdom. 1st I have been on four wheels most of my life, so to jump to a 700+lbs balancing act is taking some getting used to. Here is where I am at and need some suggestions as to where to go. (Be careful....:)) From everything I have read these machine do not like to sit around. Which is what I think has happened to this machine. I put about 200 miles on it with no problems, then taking a short trip to work and back 6+ miles the back caliper froze. After 1/2 hour it cooled so that I could get it home. I replaced it with one that everything looked good, ie pistons, moved freely and so on. Bled the brakes and off I went. However, after a few miles it felt like it was tighenng up but not quite to the point that it will freeze. Where do I go from here, rear master cylinder???:baffled:How hard us it to get the master cylinder out?

I have a list, feels like its running hot, blue smoke on start up, and this whole stator issue looks like fun, with so much fun I should have bought a harley??:action:, just kidding. but I will start there.

Thanks,

New to the board and staying close to home in Detroit.

Greg

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum KHSCoach. If you are sure that the pistons are moving freely back in as well as out, then I would check the brake pedal. Disconnect it and see if the wheel moves freely, if it does than you know the pedal is sticking (it does happen). Check this before stripping the master cylinder.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

Had the same thing happen to me coming home from work turn out to be a bunch of crud in the master cylinder had to rebuild

as for the stator if you charging is good cut the connector off and wire it straight to the R/R

the smoke is normal if it sits on the side stand a small amount of oil leaks in the the left cylinders

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Hi Greg and welcome to the board. wingwarrioris right about that connector. Just get rid of it even if it looks good right now, as it's a time bomb waiting to catch you out. Solderthe wiresand forget about it.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Don't know much about the stator issues, I'm happy to say, but I just read of a similar brake problem in one of the magazines I page through from time to time.

If the rear brake siezes as it heats up, it may be a sign of:

Something other than brake fluid in the line (moisture) which will boil when hot and expand, and a blocked return weep hole in the master cylinder. People recomend replacing brake fluid every couple of years because it draws moisure. Normally, water will only reduce your braking, but combined with the blocked return hole, it will apply your brakes for you when it heats up. The blockage could be crud, and the presence of moisture might suggest the increased liklihood of that.

It might not be crud that's blocking the weep hole. I could be the failure of the plunger in the master cylinder to return to "home," since the weep hole is at the near end of the plunger travel. That may come from interference at the rear pedal as suggested above, or something elsewhere in the mechanical "chain" preventing full return, including a master cylinder that was not put back together properly (by the bike's seller?)

I'd check out the free travel at the brake pedal and proceed backwards to the master cylinder. I'd also replace that brake fluid.

Jack

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

wingwarrior wrote:
Had the same thing happen to me coming home from work turn out to be a bunch of crud in the master cylinder had to rebuild

as for the stator if you charging is good cut the connector off and wire it straight to the R/R

the smoke is normal if it sits on the side stand a small amount of oil leaks in the the left cylinders
Thanks,

I will try taking apart the cylinder and clean it up, and then go after the connector wire.;)

I read alot about the wiring harness????Is cutting off the connector and wiring it straight the same thing the harness does? And is this something I would worry about on an 84'?

Thanks Again,

Greg

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
Hi Greg and welcome to the board. wingwarrioris right about that connector. Just get rid of it even if it looks good right now, as it's a time bomb waiting to catch you out. Solderthe wiresand forget about it.
Thanks,

Will be the weekend project.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.