Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just upgraded to an 11/16 master cylinder on my 1500 trike and have found i need a lot more pressure to get a good brake so now I'm going to add a remote brake servo and was wondering if I just put a t piece in one of the vacuum hoses from the inlet manifold will it cause any issues with the running of the bike. If this works like I'm hoping will be doing the same with my 1800 trike.
Cheers Bash

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
Wow, power brakes on a bike. There should be no problems using vacuum off the intake. You could use the port on the right for synching the carbs.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So honda expects me to try this by putting a hole there already. Is there something similar with the 1800 2006.
Cheers Bash

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe there is a one way valve already in the kit i have bought. What would be the benefit of the air tank?
Cheers

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
So honda expects me to try this by putting a hole there already. Is there something similar with the 1800 2006.
Cheers Bash
Honda doesn't make trikes nor do they make vacuum servos for them so they don't expect you to do anything of the sort. No there is no synching port on an 1800, they don't have carbs to synch.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Hi, just upgraded to an 11/16 master cylinder on my 1500 trike and have found i need a lot more pressure to get a good brake so now I'm going to add a remote brake servo and was wondering if I just put a t piece in one of the vacuum hoses from the inlet manifold will it cause any issues with the running of the bike. If this works like I'm hoping will be doing the same with my 1800 trike.
Cheers Bash

You "upgraded" to what, a larger than OEM piston, which then devides mechanical pressure by more surface area over the piston, resulting in lower PSI put out to brake lines, and now you are gonna add a booster?

As long as it doesn't result in a open vacuum leak, tapping into a hose shouldn't hurt running.

Get it too sensitive and soon a locking rear brake will be the next thing to contend with.

·
Premium Member
12,743 Posts
I have no idea what servo you have . I am just thinking of the size of vacuum boosters on an auto or hydrovac on older trucks being supplied by 3/8 and 1/2 in vacuum lines . You supplying vacuum from a very small port on a 1500. My thought is have a vacuum reservoir so that the second pump of the pedal you still have some vacuum assist.
Your servo may have enough built in . Best to you in this project.

·
Administrator
59,036 Posts
I have no idea what servo you have . I am just thinking of the size of vacuum boosters on an auto or hydrovac on older trucks being supplied by 3/8 and 1/2 in vacuum lines . You supplying vacuum from a very small port on a 1500. My thought is have a vacuum reservoir so that the second pump of the pedal you still have some vacuum assist.
Your servo may have enough built in . Best to you in this project.
you are Definitely going to need a Vacuum Reservoir to provide enough vacuum capacity to activate that booster.

the engine will NOT be able to provide enough to get it to work successfully, over time, while not using the brake, the reservoir will stabilize and be ready to work.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The servo is a small remote servo as fitted to the type 2 landrovers back in the day with a 2.3 to 1 ratio. The add doesn't tell me how much vacuum is needed.
If the manifold idea doesn't work i recall working on a ford turbo diesel some years ago and they had little vacuum pumps running from 12v so maybe another thing i could look at. Looking on ebay at vacuum reservoirs vw seems to do quite a tidy little one that would be easy to conceal.
Love this ideas and discussions moving things forward or in my case stopping them better.
Many thanks Bash

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
I believe there is a one way valve already in the kit i have bought. What would be the benefit of the air tank?
Cheers

Do you remember "vacuum windshield wiper motors" on vehicles in the 40's and 50's.....???

They had a little "reserve vacuum" for when you accelerated hard.

Young bucks might not remember this..........!!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Do you remember "vacuum windshield wiper motors" on vehicles in the 40's and 50's.....???

They had a little "reserve vacuum" for when you accelerated hard.

Young bucks might not remember this..........!!
Of course braking hard while accelerating hard would be a very rare occurrence. :grin3:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you thought about having a look at Youpullit at Pocklington area as you might be able to look at the vacuum tank before you buy to make sure you don’t waste time buying one that might be difficult to fit, last time I was there they were good with prices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts