Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got this bike & want to take care of it. I have a few questions:

Are most seats on a 1500 vinyl? What's a good compound (like Armour All) should Iuse to protect the seat from the elements? (heat of sunlight, rain, etc)\

Also, what about the body? What wax or protectant can I use to keep the paint from fading?

Also, is there any oil or gas additive you could recommend?

Also, what kind of oil should I use?

I wish to say, in advance that I appreciate all your answers & if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. If you wish my email. just let me know & I'll b happy to pm it to u.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Hi happer ., very nice , what year is it ?
You will recieve many opinions re: vinyl and plastic care but as for me i would suggest any good brand name polish for the plastic as they are all very good quality now and ArmourAll for the vinyl as thats what it was made for .
p.s. will be sending pics. you requested by PM later today or tomorrow to your email address.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

I would take care in using something like Armour All. It makes things very slippery and we wouldn't want you sliding off the seat while you are driving it. That would most certainly ruin your day.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanx. Armour All was just a thot.

You got a nice looking machine there. What, if anything, do u use?

What kind of oil do u use? Synthetic or regular? Castrol or what?

Thanx for the reply

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

keep seat clean with soap and water and it should be fine.

i use good quality polish on panels but they seem very resistant to any paint fade.

as for oil i like fully synthetic but opinions vary a lot here as long as its motorbike oil and does not have friction reducers which can mess up wet clutch you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

happer wrote:
...What's a good compound (like Armour All) should I use to protect the seat from the elements? (heat of sunlight, rain, etc)

...What wax or protectant can I use to keep the paint from fading?

...is there any oil or gas additive you could recommend?

...what kind of oil should I use?
Congrats on the new bike. You'll love it and it will love you in return if you take care of it.

You do know that each of those questions is just bait for a prolonged debate, don't you?

Sounds like you have the original seat. Treat it with that stuff you Albertans all have laying around the house - saddle soap.

You could do as many of us do and us Lemon Pledge to keep it shiny and protected. Has to be LEMON. Orange attracts wasps. Marcus Bacon was using Turtle Wax Ice at Nassir4 and it looked pretty nice. I may even try that on my 1500.

As always, Seafoam in the tank can't do anything but help. You didn't mention how long the bike had been sitting or how it runs. That would determine the dosage to put in the tank. You may even want to do an oil change, add some Seafoam to the crankcase and run a hundred miles and then change out the oil again. Depends how well its been cared for in the past.

As for oil, I've been using Castrol GTX Diesel for years in all my 'Wings. Read a lot about oil on these pages and come to the conclusion its best to stay away from the oils that say "Energy Conserving" in the starburst on the back. They're too slippery for the combined motor/transmission work our oils undergo. Beyond that its your choice.

Right guys? :cheesygrin:

:popcorn:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

happer wrote:
Thanx. Armour All was just a thot.

You got a nice looking machine there. What, if anything, do u use?

What kind of oil do u use? Synthetic or regular? Castrol or what?

Thanx for the reply
I use something called Ultra Lustre waterless cleaner a lot. http://www.uprproducts.com/ultra-luster-wash8.html It can be used on just about anything. I use dino style forty weight oil. I can't remember the name of the last case I got. I can, at times, get oil from work. If its shelf life dated and it runs out we are allowed to take it. I believe it was Delo oil. Thats a fine looking maching you have too!!!!!!!!!!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
imported post

I use Startron fuel treatment in the bike. My normal work week burns about 4-5 gallons of fuel in the wing, so when I get home after filling it up I add just over 1/4 oz of the stuff. The 32 oz bottle of concentrate I bought will last over 1 1/2 years at this rate.
As for the body, I just use automotive car wash and a good wax once in a while.
As for oil- you will get MANY opinions. I use synthetic in our car and used to in the Wing. Now I use Delvac/Rotella/Delo except in winter I run motorcycle 10w30 for 3 months.
Anywho, welcome!

·
It aint rocket science
3,809 Posts
imported post

3M Leather & Vinyl for the saddle. Keeps the vinyl supple without any slippery residue.

I use it twice yearly and am good to go.;)

JD

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

when i first got my bike i armorall`d the seat....very bad idea. you cant stay on the bike during braking and cornering. it gets way slick...

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I have a Dunlop Elite 3 on both the front & rear of my 1992 Honda Goldwing SE1500. I'm wondering about how many more miles it has left on it. The tread gauge gives it 3 / 32" of tread left.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

3/32 tread

all depends on how you ride? 2/32 is changing time!

as for me I be replacing the tires at 3/32 as I ride a lot around home and I do1,500-2,000 round tripsseveral times a year

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
imported post

The wear bars are at 2/32, the federally mandated minimum to effectively dissipate heat and water. I try to never wear it all the way down. Too risky as my hide is worth way more than the one set of tires I should have installed.

Oh- And I tried lemon Pledge. Awesome!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
imported post

Oh- and check the date codes on your tires. Older than 5 years and that worn you are better off doing it sooner rather than later.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
Oh- and check the date codes on your tires. Older than 5 years and that worn you are better off doing it sooner rather than later.
+1
Check the Tire date code on the side of the tire. it is a 4 number code that tells when the tire was made. the code tells the week and year it was made example:1208, which is the 12 week of 2008. next to dot #. many new tires on the shelf I have seen up to 4yrs old
From-
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=111068&forum_id=1&highlight=how+to+check+the+tire+date+code

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

As has been said already, do not use ArmorAll on your seat. I threw mine away years ago. 303 Protectant is a great vinyl preservative but even that is slightly slippery till it soaks in.

Plexus on the windshield and plastic lenses.

Delo 400 15w-40 is popular oil with many Goldwingers. Give it a try.

Now get out and rack up some ridi ng miles!

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
happer wrote:
...What's a good compound (like Armour All) should I use to protect the seat from the elements? (heat of sunlight, rain, etc)

...What wax or protectant can I use to keep the paint from fading?

...is there any oil or gas additive you could recommend?

...what kind of oil should I use?  
Congrats on the new bike. You'll love it and it will love you in return if you take care of it.

You do know that each of those questions is just bait for a prolonged debate, don't you?

Sounds like you have the original seat. Treat it with that stuff you Albertans all have laying around the house - saddle soap.

You could do as many of us do and us Lemon Pledge to keep it shiny and protected. Has to be LEMON. Orange attracts wasps. Marcus Bacon was using Turtle Wax Ice at Nassir4 and it looked pretty nice. I may even try that on my 1500.

As always, Seafoam in the tank can't do anything but help. You didn't mention how long the bike had been sitting or how it runs. That would determine the dosage to put in the tank. You may even want to do an oil change, add some Seafoam to the crankcase and run a hundred miles and then change out the oil again. Depends how well its been cared for in the past.

As for oil, I've been using Castrol GTX Diesel for years in all my 'Wings. Read a lot about oil on these pages and come to the conclusion its best to stay away from the oils that say "Energy Conserving" in the starburst on the back. They're too slippery for the combined motor/transmission work our oils undergo. Beyond that its your choice.

Right guys? :cheesygrin:

:popcorn:

Diesel Oil???

What is the difference between engine oil and diesel engine oil, anyway?

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
imported post

Diesel oil is bare oil.Usually no friction modifiers and holds up to high heat of diesel engines.You just want to stay away from energy saving, high milage engine oil.Its slick for a car but it will cause the clutch to slip.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.