Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
just for good measure always carry emergency cash with in a safe place.
Agreed! I always stash twenties here and there. I once had an experience where I left my wallet, including my cash, lying on a gas pump in Rosansky, Texas. I rode on. I farted around in Smithville for awhile, visited the state park there. When I geared up to jump to College Station I decided to buy gas. No way bucko!

I had to talk a desk clerk at a gas station into trusting me enough to let me gas, go back to Rosansky to retrieve my billfold, (fortunately turned in by an unknown ten-year-old kid, cash intact.) then gas again, return to Smithville, gas again, paying for both fill ups before heading to College Station.

I said, "NEVER AGAIN!" Since then I distribute cash in pockets, pouches and day packs because I always want to be able to rummage and at least gas up and buy a Gatorade... or two...

T

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
All of my plastic cards are in my wallet, and it gets wrapped with a lot of rubber bands.
that stops a pocket thief from lifting it out of your front pocket.....
the rubber bands grab the pocket itself and try to turn it inside out.... won't work....

if I feel that event occurring, I will sling my elbow back as hard as I can..... hopefully right into his nose.

I do tuck a 20 in my TourMaster riding pants though, where it can be zipped up.
Lays right underneath Mr. Ruger :)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
While we are on the subject; how about road service.

Anybody have suggestions or advice on various road service or tow services? At the moment i just using my wits and my cell device...

·
Administrator
21,901 Posts
While we are on the subject; how about road service.

Anybody have suggestions or advice on various road service or tow services? At the moment i just using my wits and my cell device...
AMA road service works and is free with membership. You have to auto-renew to receive it though. Membership is around $40 a year, I think.
http://americanmotorcyclist.com/

Oops! Make that $50 a year. As a life member, I'm not informed of membership dues increases. Still, with the free MoTow, it's a bargain.

Oh, and yes, I'll be at NASSIR. However, if Bike bitches about the bison in South Dakota ONE MORE TIME, I'm bringing the car.

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
I am using Good Sam Travel insurance

Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Member Number: 8006 4xxx
Tel: 800-947-0770 for Assistance
Tel: 800-842-5351 for Questions on Membership

unlimited miles for breakdown towing to the nearest repair shop.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts

Does that cover you outside of the USA?

You'll need something that does if you're going to ride to NASSIR 10 in Inuvik.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Check your insurance. I found that the car, truck and MC are covered. I have never used it, but I'm sure my agent wouldn't stretch the truth about coverage.:surprise:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Good chi... I am feeling the love!

T

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
Statement from the bank

I wrote a Secure Email to Customer Service advising of my routes and dates I would be traveling.
this is their reply, note the reference to a Debit Card....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Member Service
7/2/2016 - 11:58 AM

John, Thank you for providing the dates and destinations of your travels.

When paying for fuel at the pump, you will need to select debit and enter your PIN so the gas station does not place a hold on $75-$100.00. Thank you,
Tarick
Member Relations

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
I also went into the bank this morning and asked for a special checking account to be used for fuel and travel expenses....

The nice lady told me that they advise everyone to do this when asked...

so, I now have a brand new checking account, but no ATM card of course, so can't use it going to N9.... but next time I am ready.

I will just funnel enough into it to cover a couple or three days as often as need be.
I have online access so that is a good thing.

And, it does not have Overdraft protection :)
if that card gets compromised, it will go ding ding Declined really fast.

that of course will require a new card be issued, but I will have my primary Debit Card to fall back on. Nice to have options.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I had taken my fuel account down to $138 and yesterday, as a test, I filled the car and truck using the debit card as a credit card. If they would have put a hold of $75 on the first one I couldn't have used it the second time. I'm going to get in touch with my bank again. I'm not having a problem but I sure hate to leave on a trip with this cloud hanging around.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts

Member Number: 8006 4xxx
Tel: 800-947-0770 for Assistance
Tel: 800-842-5351 for Questions on Membership

AZgl1800, read my post this evening regarding my interaction with Good Sam when I almost lost my trike on the freeway.

Chief

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
I saw that, I am curious as to why they would not help you get the trike back up on the trailer?
I will call them and have a nice little chat, that is just not right.

I have used them several times,
. flat tires
. key lockouts
. dead battery

never had anything come loose on a trailer though, I think I would have called back and got a new representative, or asked to speak to a Supervisor.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.