Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'99 GL1500 Aspencade
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have not ridden my gold wing in 11 years, and it has just set. i know pretty everything made of rubber needs to be replaced or i am taking a chance on getting stranded with a costly tow bill. Is there a generic check list of what all i need to do to make the bike road worthy. If there is not i guess i will start at the front end and working to the rear end. i do know i need to replace the timing belts. pitty I have 2 new ones, but they are 11 years old. better be safe than sorry but the new ones i have are going to the trash and i am getting new ones.

·
Magic Moderator
4,927 Posts
You'd want to change all the fluids, timing belts and tires if it sat that long. The carbs are probably gunked up and the gas stale. Also add a dead battery to be replaced. I must assume you have a GL1500. Others will be along to offer more info.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,008 Posts
i have not ridden my gold wing in 11 years, and it has just set. i know pretty everything made of rubber needs to be replaced or i am taking a chance on getting stranded with a costly tow bill. Is there a generic check list of what all i need to do to make the bike road worthy. If there is not i guess i will start at the front end and working to the rear end. i do know i need to replace the timing belts. pitty I have 2 new ones, but they are 11 years old. better be safe than sorry but the new ones i have are going to the trash and i am getting new ones.
I would keep your 'new' spare timing belts, who is to say that the ones you buy off the shelf are any newer than what you have "on the shelf"
I have never, ever, seen a Date/Time stamp on a belt.

yours have not been sitting tied up tight to the tensioners, so use them.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,447 Posts
You don't say where you are or what model you are dealing with. Or if the bike was prepped.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
62,008 Posts
You don't say where you are or what model you are dealing with. Or if the bike was prepped.
He appears to be using Cable and both of the IPs suggest Corpus Christi, TX

his name suggests he is 'from Lawton' and we have a Lawton, OK down south of me.

·
Registered
'99 GL1500 Aspencade
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IT IS A 95 GOLDWING ASPENCADE AND THERE WAS ZERO PREPARTION. I PARKED IT TURNED OFF THE KEY AND THEN NEXT I TRIED TO START IT THE STARTER WOULD JUST CLICKED AND THE CLICK SOUND WAS NOT THE CLICK WHEN YOU HAVE A LOW BATTERY.

·
Administrator
28,236 Posts
IT IS A 95 GOLDWING ASPENCADE AND THERE WAS ZERO PREPARTION. I PARKED IT TURNED OFF THE KEY AND THEN NEXT I TRIED TO START IT THE STARTER WOULD JUST CLICKED AND THE CLICK SOUND WAS NOT THE CLICK WHEN YOU HAVE A LOW BATTERY.
So what kind of click was it? And did you check the battery?

·
Registered
280 Posts
This could be why some dealers will not work on bikes over 10 years old. It has been said that not riding a Gold Wing for long periods of time is the most severe case of abuse. Unless you are going to do the work yourself, could cost more to get in running condition than it is worth, at around $100.00 an hour, plus parts.. Check to be sure engine is not hydro locked before hitting starter button.
gumbyredd

·
Registered
'99 GL1500 Aspencade
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what kind of click was it? And did you check the battery?
I think i may have a problem with the engine being locked. I bought a new battery and it would not even click, so i jumped it off a car battery and it sparked like i did a direct short across the battery post.i probably will not do muc
h for a month or two. I will do all the work myself. Fortunate to be born with mechanical skills and a ton of common sense.

·
Administrator
28,236 Posts
I think i may have a problem with the engine being locked. I bought a new battery and it would not even click, so i jumped it off a car battery and it sparked like i did a direct short across the battery post.
The engine being locked wouldn't cause that, reversed connection would. Are you sure the new battery has the right post orientation, + on the right? I think you are jumping to the worst possible problem before exploring the simple.

Reactions: Road Ranger

·
Registered
'99 GL1500 Aspencade
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you check the engine oil level.......?
It was full when i parked it. But the next time i am in the garage i will check it. I am over whelmed in things i need to do and the Holding is #4. I have 2 Honda shadows that i ride also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think i may have a problem with the engine being locked. I bought a new battery and it would not even click, so i jumped it off a car battery and it sparked like i did a direct short across the battery post.i probably will not do muc
h for a month or two. I will do all the work myself. Fortunate to be born with mechanical skills and a ton of common sense.
Common sense should have told you to do the prep. If it has sat that long without being turned over, I'd bet money on all of the seals being shot.

·
Premium Member
48,193 Posts
Make sure to check the air box and especially the wiring harness for mice presence causing possible shorts. Them little buggers love to chew on wire.

·
Registered
'92 GL1500A
18 Posts
Down load the repair/service manual from this site for your model. Lift the Wing off the ground and provide safety straps and jack stands. Get (4) speed bleeders for (3) brakes + (1)clutch. While replacing the fork seals, take the time to reset and torque the steering stem nut. While working on the front end study the underside of the water pump for signs of failure. Also, inspect the hoses and connections to the radiators. You will eventually remove most of the plastic body parts so plan to remove them at the start and make a storage arrangement. Prior to installation of parts you'll find it easier to wash, power polish and wax the loose parts. Spray some motor oil on the top of the pistons while changing the spark plugs and let the starter spin the motor with the kill switch OFF prior to the first start. Replace the boot on the right rear air shock, see Docs.com for alternative boot covering. Replace the cruise control air filter. Replace the main dog bone fuse near the battery. Also replace the starter relay in the box near the fuses. Some or all the switches on the handle bars will need extensive electrical spray etc for reliability. Ebay may turn out to be your best friend for parts. This is very doable and the time will be a bigger issue than the cost.

·
Administrator
62,008 Posts
with a PC, click on your Avatar top right of page, then click on CONVERSATIONS
sent you a message that should be of help for you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts