Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After I read severeal posts, I learned I needed to take of my "front cover" to check the shift spring on my bike.

Is that the same as the timing cover?

Some one please let me know.

Thanks,

81MTBIKE

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

It's the one under the timing cover here the lower radiator hose attaches, but why do you think shifter springs? What are the symptoms?

And welcome to the forum. The official greeters will be along shorty to pester you.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi and welcome to the forum i am not up to speed on the 1100 but i think its no 20 in the pic

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum i am not up to speed on the 1100 but i think its no 20 in the pic

The #9 spring is the one that most often gives trouble. Hard to find neutral and erratic shifting, jumping out of gear, etc.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you for the welcome.

I think it is the spring since the gear shift lever won't return to the original position after I shift to second. It won't go to third since it didn't return after second. When I move the lever by hand it WILL go through the gears, but not return to original position.

I DO have the footboards on it with the heel-toe shifter. I hate those things...

I am 99% certain there isn't any physical interference with the levers and footboard.

I am going to change the oil to 10W40 and check the under th cover to see if the spring is broke/missing. I am also going to check for interference with the cover.

(You see, I really DID read a few posts...)

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me.

Regards, 81MTBIKE

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

That could be the #20 centring spring that agnogel pointed out or it could be binding in the heal toe shifter, take that off and see if the shifter returns to centre before pulling the front cover.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

First of all, I am not trying to bump this thread.

I wanted to tell you all what actually happened to my bike.

As suggested, I started with the easy stuff. I looked at the footboards and their mounting. I found that when I re-installed the engine guards and footboards, I put them on in the wrong order. What I mean , I put the guards on and had contact with the gear shift lever. It was rubbing causing friction/interference.

Anyway. when I took the boards off, I found the shift lever functioned properly.

Here is a link to a video of my bike. I have finally got it to start reliably and drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5EnaTkdodU

I have it listed on Craigslist in Montana.

I am not used to riding such a big bike. I have had a few of the "other" japanese bikes...

Thanks again for the info folks...

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

I think if you ride it a little while you will like it. They have a low center of gravity and are not hard to ride for a big bike.
And if you get rid of the floorboards you will like it better. I absolutely hate the shin busting, dragging PsOS.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I AM getting more used to it, but I HATE THE FOOT BOARDS!! LOL

You are right. Those boards hit my legs just above my boots. It is so annoying.

I am finding the slow-speed manners to be poor. (Moving slow in driveway and parking areas.)

I am starting to like the comfort of bike,. However, I still feel uncomfortable with the handling of it. A lack of self-confidence with bike.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Looks like you need an RPM gauge, PM me if you need one.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

81mtbike wrote:
I am starting to like the comfort of bike,. However, I still feel uncomfortable with the handling of it. A lack of self-confidence with bike.

Check out how much better it gets when you gear down and carry 3,000 RPM through any turn, do that and you'll grow to love it. :action:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Like I said, I am getting more used to it.

I still have to determine if the TACH is even hooked up at both ends. I am doing more work every day.

So, I don't know what/if I need parts yet.

I will check back with you after I look at the tach.

Thanks.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

81mtbike wrote:
I AM getting more used to it, but I HATE THE FOOT BOARDS!! LOL

You are right. Those boards hit my legs just above my boots. It is so annoying.

I am finding the slow-speed manners to be poor. (Moving slow in driveway and parking areas.)

Anyway, thanks for the input.
The other day I stopped to talk to another Winger and he asked about my foot boards so I looked down and found that my short legs came down behind them.:shock:

On the heavy feel I don't see it, I'm only 145# with my pockets full of rocks and once the bike is motion no mater how slow it feels light. On the other hand trying to put it on the centre stand or getting it off the side stand on a slope reminds me that the beast is big.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

Sometimes the front cover can interfere with the shift mechanism if the correct gasket hasn't been used. Did the PO have the cover off for any reason?

Try to eliminate everything else before deciding that it is spring #20.
The ONLY way to change that is a complete strip down and split the crankcases!:shock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.