Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2005 GL1800 that now has over 70K miles on it. In that time I've ridden with a group or my wife most of the time. We like to use the CB to communicate within the group and when the wife is with me she insists on the intercom so she can tell me what to do, as the rear seat admiral, you know. In our many miles we have numerous get offs and back ons that require lots of plugging and unplugging of the J&M cables, Edset cable or what have you. In all these miles I think I've replace at least 6 - 8 cables totaling around $600.
Since we are planning on doing this for another 6-8 years, I was looking at another $600 in cables during that time. So started to research what it would take to make our helmets bluetooth connect to the bike.

Now I know most of you have looked at the J&M offering because they are the biggest supplier of Goldwing intercom "stuff". I was very interested in their offering until I started adding up what I needed. In their literature they discuss their blue tooth in the helmets as having J&M Exclusive JMAHP (J&M Motorcycle Audio Headset Profile). With some research I figured out that this meant no other helmets could connect to J&M helmets, no other blue tooth donagles would connect to the J&M's using simultaneous talk and receive capability. SO if I were to use the J&M set up I would need two helmet packages ($299 or $598 total), the Blu Hub Donagle06 with JMAHP profile ($449) and the specific bike harness for an1800, another ($249). SO add all of that up and you have a whopping $1300 USD. Now I don't know about you but that is extravagant even for J & M, know to always be the highest priced option for intercom connectivity.

I started researching Blue tooth by looking at the information on this site: http://bt.my-mc.com/ . Lots of very good information on his site. Looking over the current offerings of helmet intercom systems, I chose the Cardo Scala Rider G4, the most advanced system with DSP, many connection options and longer distance communication. I found I liked the units and had very little noise up to about 70 MPH. They have built in FM radio, connect to my phone for answering the phone on the road and connect with my ipod. OK now we are getting somewhere and they only ran $300 for the pair.

Next I wanted to connect the bike in so that we could use the CB, FM, weather radio and the GPS that plugged into the bikes aux jack. Now the hunt was on for a donagle to replicate what J & M had in their Blu Hub. I was able to find one with some persistent searching at http://www.spoiledbiker.com/ake.html . It is the Goldwing HC-2 donagle. If you have the Scala system be sure to tell them and they will order the correct one from Germany. If you use another system like Sena or AKE then the normal unit works with them. And this whole plug ready donagle is only $250.

Now you want to know how it all works, right? I plugged the HC-2 into the riders headset jack, used some Velcro to mount the box on the lid of the left fairing pocket and found switch power under the pocket. So on the bike I turned on the CB and plugged the GPS into the AUX jack and selected Aux on the radio buttons. I turned on my helmet G4 and paired it with the HC-2. As I ride down the road we can converse on the G4's in intercom mode. As I get to the turns to be made the GPS comes over the AKE interface telling me when to turn. If one of my riding companions broadcast on the CB it comes through the AKE also. If I want to talk on the CB I hold down the transmit button on the bike and speak. My phone is blue tooth to my wife's helmet G4 so the AKE is connected to mine, but with full duplexing, we both hear the full conversations. It all works seamlessly with no wires.

Are there problems? Sure, as in any blue tooth system you have intermittent connection problems, re- pairings that have to be done but mostly it works great. I don't think it gives anymore trouble than you would have with the J&M and it is much cheaper. I only have $550 in my set up and I'll put it up against J & M any day. If you want to do blue tooth it can be done and for half the price!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No problem, beertap tom. Hope others will look at it as an easy cheap alternative to N-Com and J&M's proprietary system.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
imported post

$550 to set up two helmets. That is a really good deal. I hate all the plugin in and nu-plugging. Adds about 10 minuets to the load up time when the wife is with me.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

I admit it is a PIA hooking and un hooking, and this looks like a slick system, but I already have so many battery chargers at home for tools, phones, shavers,tooth brush etc. I don't think I have anymore plugs open in the house. :action::action:Are these rechargeable from the bike if one should go dead on the road??

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

If you have a 12V cigarette plug you can get a plug in from Radio Shack that has a USB connection allowing you to recharge from the bike BUT you can not use them while recharging. So if you have a few hours you don't need to communicate or you want to do it over night (it doesn't run the battery down much) you can do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.