Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 89 1500 has a stock windscreen. I was thinking of adding a "tulsa" screen. Talking this over with some other wingers - a couple of people have suggested that the tall ones - when they fog up - you are completely blind. My question is does having a vent make this situation more bearable? Has anyone ever installed a fan of some sort to keep the fogging down?

Just wondering

Thanks - Mike

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Even having a vent or a fan installed wouldn't help you in the rain, especially at night. It's best to be able to look just over the windshield in your normal sitting position.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've wondered how folks with tall windshields get by in the rain. I've had two occasions where the windshield fogged up almost instantly, once on a damp cool evening going through a dip in the road and once in the mountains on a cold rainy day in the middle of a curve. In both cases the visibility through the screen went from okay to zip. On my 1500 I don't find any advantage in raising the screen in the rain, it doesn't seem to improve things much and I prefer seeing over it better. Just seems safer to me.

As Marco said, a fan won't help unless it's a very powerful one with a heat element. Most modern cars use the AC to blow dry air on the windshield for defogging.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I have a "Tall" Slipstreamer... which has fogged up twice(on a misty morning )... and 'Snowed up" once /forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif(Climbing thru the mountains , in light snow  went from clear to NADA in about 10 feet, at 4 degrees )  ..........................................................................You Must be able to look over your tulsa at all times by sitting up straight... and You can prevent some fogging with frequent cleaning with Lemon pledge or Plexus ... Plastic waxes. Get your new tulsa cut down after two weeks if it is totally imossible to ever see over it./forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif.. Its amazing what a few inches do... I often ride with a sheepskin seat cover... and then its VERY easy to see over it . SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

I carry a jell pack in my side bag. I don't need it for comfort but it gives me just enough extra to see over the top when needed.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Mike, there are plenty of anti-fog sprays and solutions that you just wipe onto the screen and they usually last a week or two. I always make sure I keep some in my Wing.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

I haven't dealt with it for fog (yet!) but I have tried and love Pledge furniture polish on the windscreen and helmet visor. It may not last as long as other products designed for this but it's also a little cheaper and I can use it more often if needed. Rain just beads up and flows off with the wind. (I like the orange scented stuff...)

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

i have a 1998 gl1500 se i read that some of the wingers use pledge? this doesnt hurt the windshield at all i was told not to use rain X thanks brian:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's right, Pledge okay, RainX for glass only, not for plastic.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

it dont harm the windshield and can i use it on the plastic parts that are painted on the bike? also what helps keep the fog from forming on the windshield thanks brian

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

I must say that I really appreciated seeing this post. I was thinking about RAINX and read the label that it's for glass only. Lemon Pledge huh? Who woulda thought that?

Will give it a try.

THanks Guys

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
My 89 1500 has a stock windscreen. I was thinking of adding a "tulsa" screen. Talking this over with some other wingers - a couple of people have suggested that the tall ones - when they fog up - you are completely blind. My question is does having a vent make this situation more bearable? Has anyone ever installed a fan of some sort to keep the fogging down?

Just wondering

Thanks - Mike
Mike, I live in an area where early morninglow spot fog is a daily problem in both spring & fall. So far I haven't found ANYTHING that will keep my Honda windshield from fogging over as I roll through a foggy spots.. Rain-X makes it worse (much worse in my estimation),, Lemon Pledge does work for allowing the bugs to come off easier & does somewhat help in the rain (it still beads up enough that I can't easily see through it though).. So far stretching to look above the windshield is my best approach..

I have a short windshield on my Harley & that coupled with a convertible helmet is by far the best in both rain & fog but doesn't keep the cold air off me like that highWing windshield does. I keep telling myself I'm going to cut that Honda windshield down but then a trip or two in 30°F weather tells me it is great as is.. I rode a BMW K-bike the other day (it had that power adjustable windshield) & that is about the best thing I have seen so far..

You can always getthe higher windshield & tryit,, if itfogs or bothers you in the rain then just cut it down to the height you need..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Does this mean that I should get some pledge stocks? I got a can of lemon pledge the other day and it sure cleans the windshield. Pretty soft for the paint though, and seems to attract dust. BTW, is it NOT for dusting furniture??? Hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

what does BTW stand forHawker22 wrote:
Does this mean that I should get some pledge stocks? I got a can of lemon pledge the other day and it sure cleans the windshield. Pretty soft for the paint though, and seems to attract dust. BTW, is it NOT for dusting furniture??? Hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Alright, then, Do I see windshield wipers coming ? :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

(B)y (T)he (Way).... I also have a tall Tulsa on my wing, I am retired now and can pick my time and days to ride and havnt come accross the fogging situation, I do remember on the stock shield fogging was a nuisance.
I do so like my Tulsa though even in hot weather, with the vent and fairing side wind wings I stay reasonably cool.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

I recently traded my tall windshield for the standard height, precisely because I could not see through it at times. Sure, the taller one provides more comfort, but at what safety cost? The tall shield is great 95% of the time, but fog, night, rain and scratches all work against me at inopportune times. The other morning I had a MC safety course and had to ride 20miles through pea soup. Would never have made it with the tall screen.

I also have noticed the following paradox:

Tall screen great for summer 'seeing' conditions (no rain/fog) but doesn't provide much cooling airflow for comfort.

Short screen great for fall/spring 'seeing' conditions, but doesn't provide as much protection from the cold wind.

I now have both, but can't see myself re-installing the tall one for any reason at this time...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
(B)y (T)he (Way).... I also have a tall Tulsa on my wing, I am retired now and can pick my time and days to ride and havnt come accross the fogging situation, I do remember on the stock shield fogging was a nuisance.
I do so like my Tulsa though even in hot weather, with the vent and fairing side wind wings I stay reasonably cool.
That will work fine if you stay near home, but on long rides it's hard to predict what you're likely to run into.

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I put a firecreek accessories windhsield on my GL1500 and never have a fogging problem; probably because it is an adjustable 2 piece unit and it allows an air stream to pass inside of the upper. YOu can also adjust it lower if needed although I have mine adjusted so I'm always looking over it anyway. IMHO it is a vastly superior unit to the stock windshield.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.