Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had my eye on getting an 87 GL1200 Aspencade, but with helping my daughter with her wedding plans for next July, it is looking more like I'm going to have to put that idea aside for another year...

One of the things I liked about the 1200 I was looking at was the VERY tall windshield (while sitting on the bike, if I leaned forward, it would hit my helmet). I know that it cut down the highway noise considerably during the test ride and was wondering if anyone knows if they make them in that size to fit an 83 GL100 Interstate.

I've tried a search on eBay, and even a more general one on GOOGLE, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Any suggestions and/or could someone provide the actual dimensions of that style windshield?

Thanks!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

One of the more recognizable brands is the TULSA but there are others

Slipstreamer has some dimensions HERE

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

When I bought my 83 I replaced the tall Tulsa with the regular Slipstreamer. The Tulsa was 5 inches taller. I do a lot of night riding and a lot in wet weather. I much prefer looking OVER the windshield.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I wish mine was about 2" taller. If I lean forward under my shield about 2" it is a much better ride, less wind, less noise and I can still see over the top if I went just a little higher than I am now....

I guess the ex was right, 2" more does make it better.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I guess the ex was right, 2" more does make it better.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::claps:

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Slipstreamer Wraparound is what I have on my '81. However, I did cut 4 or 5 inches of the top so I could see over it. I love the extra protection on the sides for hands and arms.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

my 1500 has a tall full one and its still very clear, my harley has a tall one and when it gets marred up i will cut it down to just peer over it...on a trip i once used a gas station squeegee sponge that had a section of scotch brite on it and didnt notice till it was too late....i was spitting mad

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

When i bought my 1500 it had a tall whindshield. the first thing i did was cur 5" off it. I did this before the wife had a chance to ride on the back LOL
Wilf

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Goodolboy1 wrote:
Gentlemen, I have this windshield on my 84 Aspencade, and in the future I'll be replacing it with another of the same type. Here's a link to what I think your looking for.

http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ws&Product_Code=PUDS710298A-ATT&Category_Code=1-goldwing-windshields

This is the wrap around windshield their ask Price: $154.99
I think this is a great price ?
Here is the one for the 1100

http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ws&Product_Code=PUDS710315&Category_Code=

According to Slipstreamer's measurements it is @6" taller than stock height

HONDA LINE (Goldwing Interstate & Aspencade)
Ht.
GL 1100

160 STD. CLEAR (80-83)
20 1/4"
161 STD. TINT (80-83)

164 TALL CLEAR (80-83)
22 1/2"
165 TALL TINT (80-83)

168 WRAP AROUND CLEAR (80-83)
26 1/2"
168T WRAP AROUND TINT(80-83)

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
imported post

RckRagman,

You might take a look at these guys too.
CeeBaileys

I got one of their windshields for my 1200 last year and am very pleased with it. I got it in the +4" height, so I am looking through it.

I replaced a wrap-around shield that was on the bike when I got it. It was just the right height to put the top edge in my line of sight. Almost got me in trouble once.

I went with the higher shield to check out the protection it offers, especially for Tailgunner, even tho I have been assured I would want to see "over - not thru". CeeBailey's offers a one time program where they will shorten the shield after you purchase and run it. At this time I have no intention of having mine cut. It is great to have the protection in front of my face ( I tend to ride with my visor open) and I have spent days (and some after-dark hours) in the rain and have no problem with visibility. I take great care in cleaning and keeping it clean, but this thing has a riding season and an Alaska trip under its belt and looks just like the day I put it on. I won't know how it holds up for clarity in the long run until I've ridden the long run, but I'm guessing that a manufacturer of aircraft plastics has most of the bugs worked out already!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thank you, all, for the feedback. However, another member (fairly local to me) has offered his tall one off his GL1100 as he is buying a new one. Since I'm not painting mine this year, it didn't make too much sense to have a brand new windshield on a bike with a 28-year-old paint job.

Besides, I think I want to find out first hand about this whole "seeing through vs. seeing over" thing... Whether I like the tall one or want to go back to the stock, I'll plan to buy a brand new replacement when I paint...

Thanks, again....Have a happy and safe New Year!!!:toast:

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Heres what one of the wide slipstreamers look like, If i remember right theyre 26.5" tall...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.