Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to see 5th gear made taller in order to reduce rpm at 60 mph to @ 2000 rpm or 2500 rpm at 70 mph.

This would improve fuel consumption and quiet a very busy engine at highway speeds.

The alternator should still make plenty of juice, otherwise change the drive gear on the alternator too.

A 6 speed trans is too much to hope for.

I've been asking dealers for this same fix since my 1981 Interstate.

They don't listen...maybe they'll read!

Rich

Oak Ridge, NJ

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Just curious...None of you have an opinion on the gearing of the Goldwing?

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Well maybe they aqre all like me, and just agree with you :)

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I actuall think a 6th gear would work better. 5th is long enough as is.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
imported post

I would like a little taller gear. 65 mph is right at 3000 rpm and anything above that, I get lousy gas mileage. If I can keep it at 55mph, I get 40 - 42 mpg...on a good day. If I keep it at 70 - 75mph all day on the interstate, I get nobetter than 34 - 36 mpg. Would a taller gear interfere with pulling my trailer? :baffled:

...and would changing differential gear be easier or more feasible?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I agree with the gearing issue. This might be better achieved by a 6th gear, acting as an overdrive. I see no reason that the engine should be revving so high whilst cruising down a motorway/ freeway. Even my Mercedes van has a 6th gear, so why not on a Wing? If pulling a trailer was a problem, then all one would need to do, is drop a gear, but this would surely only be necessary on inclines.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Another way might be toobtain different gearing for the differential... Much like what one does to change the ratio in a car... This of course would have an effect on all the tranny gear ratios (i.e. taller 1st through 5th)... Possibly a set of rear diff gears from another Honda model may fit... Probably not, but might be worth a search...

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

I think for the older Wing's (1983 1100cc) have a tall enough gear in 5th. Well at least out here in the rolling mountains of Idaho.

I'm finding that running 55 MPH will get me close to 42 MPG but as soon as I jump to 65 MPH in falls quickly to about 35-36 MPG.

My trailer is a home made that is well... very square... But it works for haulin' my stuff to Lewiston Idaho to see the Girlfriend or go camping.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

5th gear now at 70 MPH and 3,000 RPM's is just a little toomany rev's. At 70 the engine should be running no more than 2200 RPM's.

A sixth gear could achieve that, helping out with even better fuel economy with todays fuel cost.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

100% Correct :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Totally agree!

the difference betweemn 4th and 5th (OD) is almost neglilgbe.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

this is in reference to older wings. my '76 that I used to have was geared way to high for the power band. 70 mph was 3400 rpms which isnt high but you had no roll on pwer ,had to downshift. my '82 does 65 mph @ 4000 rpms and when you crack the throttle it moves. it seems funny the speedo only goes to 85.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
my '82 does 65 mph @ 4000 rpms and when you crack the throttle it moves. it seems funny the speedo only goes to 85.
Nearly same with my '81 but it's a 17" 5.10 - overall tire height can make a small difference though. Different brands and styles will vary. Find largest outer diameter and use max air pressure can raise final ratio up and drop revs a bit. My bike has a lot of giddy up around 4k and other than mpg - it doesn't seem to hurt anything stock IMO. Ring/pinion would be expensive if possible? 6spd - Victory recently dropped 6 gears down to 5 on a new model (Vegas?) just to save a few dollars MSRP.

85mph - thank you Joan Claybrook! argh...

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

when i go on the interstate i just set the cruise at around 60mph saves the gas milage and i dont like the constant whine of the engine at 3000 rpms its very annoying if i wanted to listen to that noise i would have bought a harley
im sure you could change out 5th gear but with what unless you have a major degree in enginering i dont know..... maybe buy a 1500 or 1800

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Being an open road rider and would prefer the 5 speed trans with respects of shifting 1-3-5. To me a 6th gear could be a very high overdrive, say 0.5. Chevy Astros overdrive is geared at 0.70 so with a bikes lower weight ratio a 0.50 is possible.

6 spd. trans are usually for gearheads & speed demons whereas GoldWings are road bikes.

Just my $0.00002 worth.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

i think that the five speed is good fivth being overdrive six would be very good if it were double over drive leave all ratios the same and add one more gear progressive=double overdrive

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

My old Magna has 6th gear and I wouldn't give it up for anything. The bike consistantly gets 42 mpg, 44 if I behave myself. 38 mpg on the GL1100 was tuff getting used to on our last trip. My husband would love to have a 6th on his 1800.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

I'd rather see the differential ratio lowered a bit. With all that horsepower and torque at our disposal I don't see the need to add to the mechanical complexity or weight of the transmission. If a lower rear causes my 0-60 times to go to 5:30 from 4:45 I'm okay with that. I'll probably never take it to the drag strip to care anyways.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.