Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a GL1100 with an EML sidecar outfit. This conversion includes 350 x 15" car wheels/tires all around. Because of the smaller tires, I'm running 6000 rpm at 75 mph actual. I want to lower the rpm's. The bike has the stock transmission and final drive gearing. I am looking at tire options, larger diameter tire, as one option. However, I am thinking I probably will need to do something drastic, like change gearing. I have looked at the 1983 GL1100 final drive ratios, and it is slightly taller, but not significant. Probably will lower my rpm's only 200 or so.

Does anyone have resources to forward to me so I can accomplish this change? Are there any tallerfinal drives from other Hondas that fit the GL1100? Are there resources for replacement gear sets, especially located in the US?

LD Hack

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

You don't mention which year bike you have, so I don't have all the facts. The '83 has the highest gear ratio, but most of that is from the transmission gearing, not the rear end. I could be totally wrong, but that's my understanding. Looks like '82 and '83 have identical final drive ratios, and '80 and '81 not much lower.

Got the info from http://www.goldwinginfo.com

I run around 3700 RPM at 70mph, and that's for an '83 with stock tires.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

LD Hack wrote:
I have a GL1100 with an EML sidecar outfit. This conversion includes 350 x 15" car wheels/tires all around. Because of the smaller tires, I'm running 6000 rpm at 75 mph actual. I want to lower the rpm's. The bike has the stock transmission and final drive gearing. I am looking at tire options, larger diameter tire, as one option. However, I am thinking I probably will need to do something drastic, like change gearing. I have looked at the 1983 GL1100 final drive ratios, and it is slightly taller, but not significant. Probably will lower my rpm's only 200 or so.

Does anyone have resources to forward to me so I can accomplish this change? Are there any tallerfinal drives from other Hondas that fit the GL1100? Are there resources for replacement gear sets, especially located in the US?

LD Hack

LD, it appears you have already looked at the 1100 gear ratio specs but if not here is a listing. A larger rear tire would gain some speed vs. RPM but a larger tire could effect handling & probably wouldn't clear the rear torque tube anyhow. I am not familiar withthe 1500 rear gear ratio but that is a little lower RPM engine bike so maybe look there. I think with a little work the 1500 entire rear assembly will go into your bike.

Click here for specs http://wings.astcomm.net/specs.html

Make sure your tac is reading correctly as that 6000 RPM sounds awful fast for 75 mph.

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

6000 rpm at 75 mph. What´s the redline for a GL1100 (mine is in the garage at home so I can´t look at the moment)? Raymond is right, the gearing in the gearbox was changed in 82, so from that year the gearing is tallest. Didn´t suit everyone though, more shifting down for overtaking etc.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

LD, a little quick figuring on the calculator here gives the following (overall) gear ratios of the 1100 in 5th gear.

80-81= 4.669

82 =4.270

83 =3.937

The later 1200 final drive would lower that a bit if that final would fit your 1100. That would give the 82 1100 an overall ratio of 3.967 (close to the 83 1100)

If you can give me the total inflated rear tire height or inflated rear tire circumference & transmission year, I can then give you theoretical engine RPM at any road speed you like. That would not take into account clutch slippage, tire diameter increase at speed, tire slippage, etc, but would be pretty close to actual.

Twisty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.