Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Has anyone been using a tank bag on their 1800 with success and would you recommend it?

I have used tank bags on other bikes and found them very useful, particularly the map pocket. On my Wing, I do not see an easy attachment method nor have I found a manufacturer that lists the 1800 on their application list.

I miss the storage on the Vetter fairing! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Why would you need a tank bag on an 1800?,,,,Cannot use the radio controls ,everytime you want to fill gas ,you have to take it off ,and is generally a nuisance,,buy a trunk rack ,you can also buy a screen pouch or a hopnel extra pocket,,and if you still dont have enough room it is time for a trailer ......cheers Ciaran

G

·
imported post

wexman wrote:
Why would you need a tank bag on an 1800?,, if you dont have enough room it is time for a trailer ...
Yeah and a Unit in front of it, :weightlifter:preferably a Scania. :stumped:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

It is not the big stuff that's a problem...it's all the little things. Glasses, ez-pass, cell phone, maps, etc, etc. NO trailers...this is a motorcycle afterall.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I can relate, when I took out an 1800 for a day of demo, that was my biggest objection. Smooth power, great handling; but none of the creature comforts of my Aspy. I really like a tank bag for my audio book tapes and maps. The sunglasses go in the left pouch and the cell phone in it's clamp, but the maps and tapes I want right there. And my trunk is usually full and I cannot access it without dismounting. The 1800 panniers are not what I would prefer either.

But then the controls are a valid issue and frankly I do not like them on the tank pod to begin with, but I would not want to cover them over. Hmmm My tank bag though does not interfere with my gas access.

Guess when the day comes that I move to an 1800, I will adjust. But then my spare 1200 motor arrived today, so after that is rebuilt my move to an 1800 will be considerably delayed. Hopefully I will have accumulate the spare parts I will need to have this Aspy roll another twenty years.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I took your advise and ppicked up the Hopnel extra pocket. If it ever stops raining in NJ, I'll let you know how it works out.

I've also come across something called the HopnelDeluxe Tank Bags and Map Holder System. Loks interesting for a long trip.

To the rest of you...the 1800 is a superior motorcycle to the 1500 BUT the 1500 may be better suited to touring. It has better carrying space in the bags and trunk. The radio control are better located and much of the after-market stuff was designed for the 1500 and later adapted to the 1800.

Good riding to you all.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

You should also check out the winscreen pouch ...it sits across the bottom of the screen above the dash and can hold all the small bits and pieces....Cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Whats wrong with a GPS instead of maps :coollep:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I can appreciate GPS but most the the bikers I've seen using them do so to tell the Police exactly where they've had an accident. Truthfully, GPS can be a useful tool but all too often I see riders being distracted as they ride. Can they be easily programmed to follow offbeat roads and routes that you've already traced on a MAP?

I really do appreciate everyone's help.

My Best Wishes to Londoners and All Brits today! I worked 31yrs as a cop in NJ. My office was line of sight with the World Trade Center on 9-11.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Is there a site for this pouch? Also, what truckrack would you guys recommend?

wexman wrote:
You should also check out the winscreen pouch ...it sits across the bottom of the screen above the dash and can hold all the small bits and pieces....Cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Rich Steinel wrote:
I can appreciate GPS but most the the bikers I've seen using them do so to tell the Police exactly where they've had an accident. Truthfully, GPS can be a useful tool but all too often I see riders being distracted as they ride. Can they be easily programmed to follow offbeat roads and routes that you've already traced on a MAP?

I really do appreciate everyone's help.

My Best Wishes to Londoners and All Brits today! I worked 31yrs as a cop in NJ. My office was line of sight with the World Trade Center on 9-11.

Rich, I have a Street Pilot III and use the voice instructions so that I do not need to look at it. I know some smart Alec is going to tell me thats the pilons (SO) job. :shock:

The good thing is it can find you a place to eat or fuel etc when required. As far as "out of the way tracks" is concerned, it depends on what mapping is installed. Here in Australia you can have the "directional" one or the one that shows all minor tracks as well - like across the desert etc.

It has the capability of adding 'waypoints' which allow latitude and longitude entries.

Would not leave home without it :coollep:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

try www.hondadirectlinesales.com ,They have everything for the 1800 ,,as for trunkracks ,big bike parts do 2 flat type ,,one has rubber inserts and it is excellent ,you will also find this on the same site ,,,,they sell bits from almost every manufacturer that makes parts for 1800 wings...hope this helps you ...cheers Ciaran

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.