Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey I pulled my tank today. Want to try to get rid of the rust inside using vinegar. Do I just rinse it out and poor vinegar in it and let it sit for a few days. Do I need to use baking soda after that? Also how can I replace this cracked boot on the rear drive U joint and is it even worth the trouble? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,510 Posts
I have use electrolysis to clean tanks, have not tried vinegar.
On the boot I think you could remove the clip and slide the joint back enough to slip the boot past it.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
The boot protects the ujoint, keeping road grit, water and other bad things from getting into the ujoint
Its the same as a CV boot on a front wheel drive car. It breaks- you can end up replacing that joint as its grease leaks out and grit gets in.

See Dave for all info on older bikes

Fuel tank, Dave- can this be put thru a radiator shops soak tank?

·
Administrator
24,510 Posts
Fuel tank, Dave- can this be put thru a radiator shops soak tank?
Yes, if you can find a radiator shop. They are about extinct.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Another option for fuel tank cleanse is citric acid crystals. You can get them on Amazon, I got mine from a beer and wine brew store. Mix five gallons of distilled water with 1-2 kg of crystals. I put mine in the tank for about a week. The trick to doing it still in the bike is getting a quality rinse afterwards. Shop vac with a tube to get everywhere in the base would be helpful. A surprising amount of flaky rust occurs on the top of the tank. Bottle brush or the like??

·
Administrator
57,678 Posts
I prefer electrolysis to clean tanks as it will clean all surfaces and filter screens equally well, just fill the tank to the brim and even the top of the tank will be cleaned.

If there is any chance of an air bubble that won't get cleaned, just lean the bike over on its' side for a day, then flip it over to the other side for another day.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
trick to doing it still in the bike is getting a quality rinse afterwards.
If there is any chance of an air bubble that won't get cleaned, just lean the bike over on its' side for a day, then flip it over to the other side for another day.
OP already has the tank out.

Jason, like Ekvh1 said, use a bottle brush or similar to get as much loose rust out as you can and use carb cleaner to remove any old varnish or gum in the bottom of the tank. The vinegar, muriatic acid, electrolysis or whatever method you use will work better if the gunk is cleaned out first. The few times I've used vinegar, I've emptied it out of the tank every day and scrubbed inside with a bottle brush to help it out some, then refilled.
I've never used a baking soda rinse after vinegar, just a few good rinses with water, then gasoline, then use some WD-40 or MMO or the like to prevent rusting until you can get it reinstalled and filled up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If the tank is out, and the wife is away, put a bunch of nuts/ bb's etc in the tank, plug the openings, wrap the tank in an old blanket or two and put it in the dryer. Works well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.