Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1986 1200 GW Aspencade that has a tape player/AM-FM radio. Has anyone ever replaced their's with a CD player? This is a top priority for me. I really miss my traditional country music when Im riding my bike. The tape player is pretty much rusted out.

Many thanks,

Harold

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I've been using a little (1 inch by 1 1/2 inch) 128MB MP3 player that holds quite a few songs and fits in my shirt pocket. The little ear phone plugs are hard to keep in place with my helmet on. I don't know if they are legal in Florida either. Wish I could find a CD player that fit in place of my tape player. I'm sure someone has found a way to do it.
Thanks for the reply SabreJoe.

Harold

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

I'm afraid CDs are headed down the same path as casettes and 8-tracks. Don't bother with the CD player, get an MP3 connection installed.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,467 Posts
imported post

I think your best bet is gonna be to do a search. I know there's been a couple of 1200's converted to an aftermarket radio but I've not bookmarked the pages..

But, for right now if your radio works OK, try an FM modulator that plugs into the earbud jack on the MP3 player you've got. They've got them at Walmart's for about $30.00 and work pretty good!! That's the set-up I use on mine and it works quite well especialy putting it in the trunk next to the antennae...

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

If you get a stereo with the mp3 jack you can play it through your speakers and

won't need your ear plugs or cd player. I think new after market stereos even have

usb ports too thats a even better option IMO.

you will have to find a mounting plate which I've seen pictures of but don't know where.

I'd like to do the same thing but my 85 is so mint I hate to change anything.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

Harold,

If your cassette player still actually "sucks in" a cassette when you insert it, then you might be able to make your MP3 connection directly through it like I did.

You just buy a cassette adapter like this:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/306573/Belkin-Cassette-Adapter-For-MP3-Players/

Insert it into your cassette player and plug your MP3 player into the plug on the other end and you're listening to your tunes through your bike's speakers or helmet headsets.

I did this on my '87 Aspencade and it works great. Now, if your cassette player is completely dead and won't even pull in the cassette, this won't work.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

[/quote] WingMan71 wrote:

You just buy a cassette adapter.....
[/quote]

+1

I got mine at Wally World for about 10 bucks. It works great with my iPhone and I don't need ear buds... the music and phone audio play through the head set.

For now I have to pull over to have a phone conversation.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the reply's guys, im looking into all suggestions.

Harold

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Those decks are custom built for the wings and have the intercom interface built in. Replacing it with something else will eliminate the intercom.

MP3 is really the way to go. Ipods allow you to put thousands of songs with different play lists.

Another forum member couldn’t get the tape adapter to work so he hard wired an AUX input for an MP3.

LINK:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/86702.html

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

clpete wrote:
Those decks are custom built for the wings and have the intercom interface built in. Replacing it with something else will eliminate the intercom.

MP3 is really the way to go. Ipods allow you to put thousands of songs with different play lists.

Another forum member couldn’t get the tape adapter to work so he hard wired an AUX input for an MP3.

LINK:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/86702.html
The only thing I have ran into after doing this mod is that when using the bikes power to power your audio device I would get alternator noise. I cured the issue with one of these ground loop isolators http://www.amazon.com/GROUND-LOOP-ISOLATOR-3-5-APPLICATIONS/dp/B001EAQTRI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1317177612&sr=8-4

I can plug in my smart phone and use the music and GPS function and feed it through the modified connection using the ground loop isolator and get clean sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.