Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A friend of mine noticed a taping sound in the last two weeks. he brought the bike to my garage for an oil change, when i checked it at his place with engine covers on, it sounded like t was coming from the right head. once on my garage today, he changed the oil and the noise was still there, with the covers off i started looking for it and found it was coming from the pump this time was louder than the last time i heard it. i told him to change the fuel filter, it was all plugged and dirty, with the new filter installed the noise decreased but it was still there.. is there any way to lubricate or give some maintenance to the pump or it must be replaced?

thanks!:D

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Mine taps also... I think it's just the noise from the normal operation of the pump....hard to notice though. I don't think you can lube that pump since it is a closed system. I have noticed that the tapping from mine decreased when I started adding about 4 oz. of MMO to each tank of gas. It was kind of a side benefit since the purpose of the MMO is to keep the inside of the fuel tank from rusting by leaving a light coating of the MMO. According to Randakk the MMO also lightly lubes the working parts of the carbs.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i see.. mine does not tap or makes any kind of noise. that is why i was wondering if we should worry about it and start looking for a replacement. i suggested him to try a little of two stroke oil in the fuel to lube it since we dont have MMO here :(

Thanks Mark.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,953 Posts
imported post

Mine only ticks when I'm running out of gas. If his filter was plugged for a long time he may have done some damage letting it run low so much. If you can't find "Marvel Mystery Oil" there, then try the 2 stroke oil, but shop for a pump just in case. You didn't say what year his bike is but remember...'87 used a different pump than earlier years.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

oh, well it it is an 85 aspy. is there an automotive type that will match the requirements?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Az that fuel pump is only good for the later models correct? I have been searching extensively for aftermarket pumps. it seems guys have had luck with the Oreilys and teh napa bu the flow and volume of those pumps surpasses that of the 84 wing which is 500 cc per minute or approx 7 gallonjs an hour. The napa pump you speak of runs at 34 gph. Is that correct?

William do they have napa in Mexico?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.