Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Having bought a couple of Taps & Dies kits from the local markets( yes, they were cheap !), I find that not many (none ?) of them are of any use on Goldwing.

So what sizes do I need to buy to cover the most popular threads used on the Goldwing please ?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I think the thread pitch is the difference in Japanese metrics and european metrics.... seems like japanese seem to like 1.25 thread pitch.... but I could be wrong

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Your best initial investment would be two simple tools.

Either a vernier caliper, which doesn't have to be fancy, or a metric drill bit gauge, one of those things full of holes. This will allow you to measure the diameter of the screw in question.

Secondly, a good tool store should have a metric thread pitch gauge, not very expensive, usually about the same as a set of feeler gauges. This will allow you to measure the pitch of the thread.

Once you have this information you go to a store with confidence and say things like, "I need a die in M6.0 x 1.25" which is a screw thread 6mm diam and a pitch of 1.25 mm. Metric pitches are measured in mm from crest to crest on the thread.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I've just finished my rebuild and the tap and die set saved a fortune on bolts. Just made new ones from old bolts and nuts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I do like Bob says, I use a thread gauge and just buy a tap as I need one. The last one was to put a fender extension on the front fender, it required an M6/1.0 mm tap.
Common sizes for the wing will be M4 to M12 with some bigger at times, but the thread pitch does vary with the size of the fastener, and its use. On body panels and so on the thread pitch is normally 1.0. On engine parts and like brake calipers and so on the pitch is 1.25.

Napa has them all, so I just go buy one the size I need when I need it. Kit

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Years ago I went to Sears and bought a metric tap & Die kit. About 40 peices, I think it was like $80 and has paid for itself many many times since.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I have a set with about the same number of pieces as Whiskerfish. It has all the common metric sizes and got me out of trouble many times in the 10 or 12 years I've owned it. Whatever set you buy, make sure it's hardened steel as there are rubbish sets available made of putty and posing as metal.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Actually you can get by with five or six taps and dies for most of the work on a 'Wing. pitches vary between 1.0 and 1.25 for the most part. A pitch gauge is cheap and valuable to have to make sure of the pitch screws and nuts you need especially when fishing about in your junk box. One easy way to check an unknown bolt for pitch is to try meshing the threads with a known good one. Just turn them head to tail and hold up to the light, you can see if the thread mesh perfectly or not. As Steve said get good quality taps and dies. Cheap ones are okay for a bit of thread chasing but not for retapping a damaged engine part or threading a new hole.

Idon't retap unless it's unavoidable,It's far better just to replace fasteners. When you retapit's impossible not to remove metal which will loosen the fit of the bolt or nut greatly reducing it's strength. If I have to I will, but if it's possible to replace the fastener that's preferable.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I'm a Machinist by trade and have collected coffee cans full of Taps and Dies over the years. Most have only been used for one hole and some were new when placed in the can.

BUT.

Searching through a coffee can full of oily taps to find the one you want is a pain.

So I spied a cheap set of Taps and Dies at Harbor Freight with a cool plastic case with every spot marked for size. I bought Both cases, Standard and Metric.

Now these are cheap tools, But I have gauged them and they are within spec and as good as a real brand name tool, but I use them as "One Time USE ONLY"

I pulled all the cheap tools out of the case and replaced them with Good Brand Name Taps and Dies.

Another source for the empty cases is Sears. So I bought two of them too and filled them also.

Paul has the straight scoop for you though Ron.

There are only a few sizes that you need on hand for the majority of the work you will encounter.

Good Luck.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If you go to any of the part houses parts diagrams they tell you the size of the bolts..mostly 6, 8, 10, 12 MM plus lenght I think the parts book which you can down load has the pitch too; take a look to see what you need but all pitches are either 1.00 or 1.25, I think

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.