Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
24,486 Posts
I see 2 carbs on the right side, guessing there are 2 more on the other side.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
There are 4 carbs sharing one filter, like OEM does.

But yeah, at first casual glance, easy to see just one.

Rode my stepbrothers '69 Triumph from Waynesboro to Lynchburg 40+ years ago, it had solid struts in place of rear shocks (any suspension was the 2" seat padding and whatever tire pressure in the 5.10-16 rear tire), still hurts to think about it.

·
Administrator
57,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 4 carbs sharing one filter, like OEM does.

But yeah, at first casual glance, easy to see just one.

Rode my stepbrothers '69 Triumph from Waynesboro to Lynchburg 40+ years ago, it had solid struts in place of rear shocks (any suspension was the 2" seat padding and whatever tire pressure in the 5.10-16 rear tire), still hurts to think about it.
The first time I saw this picture, it was on my cellphone, and there appeared to be just one glob on top of the engine..... then I got a direct link to the picture, loaded that to Imgur.com, and then used that to give us a Full Screen view of the chopper. Luckily, the original pictures was in Hi-Res.

So, which model Goldwing did the engine come from?
to me, they are all just 4 cylinder engines......
never worked on any of them.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
The first time I saw this picture, it was on my cellphone, and there appeared to be just one glob on top of the engine..... then I got a direct link to the picture, loaded that to Imgur.com, and then used that to give us a Full Screen view of the chopper. Luckily, the original pictures was in Hi-Res.

Oh, I know. It wasn't until I read a response that I took a second closer look myself.

I was gonna say it is a 1000 or 1100 judging by cam covers and belt covers with ribs. 1200s were smooth finished covers.

Speaking of carbs, 1 vs 4, etc … years ago I was patrolling a US highway nearby, not interstate. I had pulled into a parking lot off to the side to finish paperwork from a stop, was two Gold Wings nearby, their riders stretching , etc. One was same color, etc as my '85 GL1200A I had, so I walked over to chat, look, etc … noticed something different, it had a external belt going up from crank, outside of the covers. I took a second look, guy laughed, popped the faux tank lid, no compartment. Was a 2 bbl carb on top of the cutest little Magna-charger supercharger there. I asked how it run, he said you could open it up in 3rd safe enough, but that in 1st or 2nd, it got squirrely.
He had bought Dave White's old 1200. Dave White had a Truck Stop at Raphine, Va. He liked bikes. He liked surprises too. Back in very early '70s he and his wife were riding out west on a HD Superglide, he got into with a guy on a big Kawasaki and it hurt his feelings so that he come home from vacation and had a blower put on the Superglide. He did that to a few bikes including the 1200. Some he displayed in a all glass room in front of the truck stop, but not the 1200 as I recall, he rode it.
I didn't have a digital camera then, I took some pics with a 35mm though, but they are in a packet among many packets of wreck & evidence pics. I should dig them out.

·
Administrator
24,486 Posts
It appears to be a 1000, has 1000 carbs and rocker covers but it's hard to distinguish it from an 1100 by the picture.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Am I missing something or is there no front suspension either? I had a Harley hardtail and my back hurts just thinking about it but it had cool factor.:grin3:

·
Administrator
24,486 Posts
Am I missing something or is there no front suspension either? I had a Harley hardtail and my back hurts just thinking about it but it had cool factor.:grin3:
Looks like the forks are made of black iron pipe, probably enough flex to give it some suspension.:grin3: It's just made to ride to the nearest bar anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
They are black, but blown up, I can see links and a spring behind the headlight. Front looks like shop made springer, no chrome.

·
Administrator
57,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John, how about the dual calipers on the front brake . Remind you of anything you've seen before ?
I can plainly see them, but to me, means nothing.
you forget, I have never worked on those bikes.

Back when I was in Arizona, all of my maintenance was done at D&D Motorcycles by appointment, as my bike was my main mode of transportation.
In by 9, out by 5 :)

Here in Oklahoma, drain the oil is about it for me, DaveO430 does the rest.

·
Registered
370 Posts
They are black, but blown up, I can see links and a spring behind the headlight. Front looks like shop made springer, no chrome.
I think I see the spring now but looking at the axle the geometry is all wrong down there. I don't see how it could work with the axle almost straight under the stationary link. Even with the extreme rake I don't think there was any spring action there besides bending. That think has to be brutal to ride!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know...there's something about it that misses the mark for me. The front end looks wild and is probably a real hand full to work. The bike has no flow, I think. Should have been done as a rat bike. But I'm jaded from seeing so many great looking CB750 choppers.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I could never understand why anyone would want something like that. But that's just me. I don't see a purpose for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts