Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all

Where is the best place to mount the tax disc holder on a GL1800?

Thanks

Tony

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
imported post

[align=center]over here they keep them on the keyring so they dont get stolen
[/align]

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

That seems like a sterling idea Dylan. Jay

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

I'll bet he paid a lot of Sterling for it. How much is a UK tax disc these days?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

In Germany they are on the Reg. Nr at the back ( the small round stamp - bout the size of a 2 pound coin!!! )

Roll on Summer

Cheers
JIMI

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I always have mine on the reg plate top left bolt .. if you put it on the key ring it will scratch the paint and according to the law the tax disc MUST be displayed ,not that I everobey the law :):) road tax in Ireland for a goldwing is 76 euro a year about $100

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Tax discs don't have to be displayed on motorcycles here wexy, since the mid 90s. But you do need to have the disc on you while riding the motorcycle, ie you need to be able to produce it on the spot if a Garda asks to see it.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

tonyg wrote:
Where is the best place to mount the tax disc holder on a GL1800?
Hi tonyg,

The previous owner of my Wing (UK) usedacrylic glue (supplied)to bond the tax disc holder to the windscreen. The disc can only be accessed by removing 6 x 1/16th allen countersunk screws, from the chrome retainingplate on the back of the holder.

Although I've never seen any other Wing in our Club with one fitted, nor have Iseen them for sale over here, butI believe they're common in the UK....possibly made by Oxford M/cycles :readit:

note to wexy & FitzAl, when you've sorted out ya differences
, I would be interested in knowing the Official stance, as to the law on this subject. :?;) :leprechaun:

Attachments

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Not needed wexy. Following representations by MAG Ireland in the 90s about the large number of tax disc thefts from motorcycles and the practical impossibility of displaying a tax disc because of theft, all Gardai are instructed to not prosecute or ticket any motorcyclist or motorcycle that isnt displaying a tax disc. The motorcyclist is required to have the tax disc on him or her while in control of the motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

you better expain that to the judge when I got done for not displaying tax :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I have put mine under the registration plate slightly to the left to comply with it being on the left hand side of the bike.
I got one of those cylindrical types that rotate bit more secure and its smaller

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

gaswing wrote:
You would probably talk your way out of a ticket wexy. ;)
:jumper::jumper::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

have mine by front foot rest but used to have it on the front spindle clamp bolt hope that helps

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

It sucks living in the dark ages but it's no better here.

The gestapo here just runs your plate number and within seconds has the full vehicle status and history plus the the full history of the registered owner.
In the absence of a plate the vin number gives them the same information.
If both the plate and vin are missing it's free meals in the crowbar hotel for the operator.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I use one of these and it is fitted on the handlebars, left hand side, under the bolt head of a Ram Mount

http://tinyurl.com/dx9anh8

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

Mine is fitted to the side bolt on my front chrome fender extender. it's the type with the allen key bolts. Not easy to remove.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.