Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tear apart that newly purchased "Used" bike

930 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  jimsjinx 
#1 ·
imported post

I just purchased my first Touring bike this week, an '87 Aspencade with 31K original miles. Very nice 22 yr old bike that runs and rides great.

Even so, this proves that you still need to go through a maintenance checklist before taking off on a long trip .....

We ride dirt and street, and every time I trade around or purchase a bike (for any of us), the first thing I do is tear it down and go through my normal maintenance routine. Even though my wife looks at me like an idiot for doing so on a perfectly running bike.

You just never know what has been done, or not done to a used bike. It's a smart move to go through a bike no matter what it looks like or runs like.

Now I've had my run-in's with mice before, and HATE is strong word, but that is exactly how I feel about them. I see no reason for them to be here on Earth. Eradication would be a dream come true!

But....................... This was a first for me.

I got to the filter this morning and looky what I found inside the airbox.... Maybe they were just trying to help out with moisture? You know, using the Dog food to dry the air coming in? I unknowingly rode this bike home with the Dog food in the filter housing, about 60 miles one way. Then rode it to the parts store and back for polishing compound and wax.

DIE mice DIE!!!

(Please excuse my shop, it looks like a train wreck)

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

Welcome to the forum, ya just never know where some guys are gonna' stash thier SURVIVAL RATIONS... :cheeky1: :gunhead:

#5 ·
imported post

great story with a super find...i like to strip my bikes down before Bike Week every year. besides looking the best it can be, i figure if i wreck, people will notice how clean everything inside is.:cheeky1:

#9 ·
imported post

I just jot through putting my 83 Aspencade back together. All I like is having the Honda Mechanic put on the Water Pump, carb sync, and I gotta get me a front brake switch. I cleaned it to where it woud hurt your eyes while I had it down. It really looks funny stripped down. New head gaskets, belts, radiator flush, front gasket rubber gaskets for chrome bely covers, , engine cleaning, and spraying wd 40 looking for shorts. Found 2 really fast. (Or caused them) Blew 2 fuses. Repaired.
Nightrider1

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.