Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 92 Aspencade. bought it Sep 2011. Have done some operator maintenance on it, but nothing major, i.e.,forks, springs, shocks, wheel bearings, stem bearings, etc.. Was going to do the work myself over the winter, but when I talked to my Honda shop folks, they quoted very reasonable rates on labor/parts, so thought I would have it done there.
When I discussed that I wanted to replace the rear shocks with Progressive 416s, they recommended 412s for the following reasons:
1) Bike is getting older, and if the rear air shock system goes bad on the road, for whatever reason, I am down for the count. With a 412 manual shock, that won't take place, ie, have eliminated one factor in the shock equation. Stated 412 shock will give just as good support as the 416.

2) Air compressor/air support systems are harder and harder to replace. I do see them on ebay regularly.

My gut tells me to stay with the 416s (only $30 more than 412s, but from past experience, I have found these guys to be straight shooters. I did ask for their recommendation based on their professional experience.

I have had 2 Wings with air over past 20 years and have never had any issues with the air shock system, however, this bike is 22 years old. They will replace which ever type shock I ask them to, however, just wanted to get some of you folks' feedback.

Appreciate any comments you may have.
Thanx
Bud

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
416 shocks are more popular. Having the option to adjust them easily is a big plus in my opinion. Why give up your air adjustment for the sake of $30?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Stick with your GUT !!

Hey Bud,

+1 for Alan – Why would you ever want to give up adjustability?

The air systems in a Wing are a very simple setup and design, and very easy to maintain. I think I have only ever heard of one compressor going bad and that was a motor issue.

I have had my compressor apart in my 82 Aspencade and in my 91 Aspencade for a tear down and cleaning and they are super simple to work on. They are a very simple device. Most failures, if not the motor, are just the grease inside on the “valves” getting hard from age. A cleaning solves that.

Even if you compressor went, or airline broke (that stuff is durable and near impossible to crack or break) or any other event would happen, you still would have a good working suspension. The shocks have coil springs in them.

I can’t even imagine not having the adjustability. I am willing to wager that maybe the dealer has a set in stock that they can’t get rid of – thus the “recommendation” and the good labor rate for that service.

Stick with your gut!

Tim.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Bud,

+1 for Alan – Why would you ever want to give up adjustability?

The air systems in a Wing are a very simple setup and design, and very easy to maintain. I think I have only ever heard of one compressor going bad and that was a motor issue.

I have had my compressor apart in my 82 Aspencade and in my 91 Aspencade for a tear down and cleaning and they are super simple to work on. They are a very simple device. Most failures, if not the motor, are just the grease inside on the “valves” getting hard from age. A cleaning solves that.

Even if you compressor went, or airline broke (that stuff is durable and near impossible to crack or break) or any other event would happen, you still would have a good working suspension. The shocks have coil springs in them.

I can’t even imagine not having the adjustability. I am willing to wager that maybe the dealer has a set in stock that they can’t get rid of – thus the “recommendation” and the good labor rate for that service.

Stick with your gut!

Tim.
Thanks mister magic fingers that was my thought process 8 your feedback

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
416 shocks are more popular. Having the option to adjust them easily is a big plus in my opinion. Why give up your air adjustment for the sake of $30?[/QUOTE
FitzAl thanks for your input I'll stick with my gut and go with the 416s.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The 416 have internal springs where the stock air shock does not have the spring.

Just remember to service the compressor decadent beads(see the how to section) to keep the system free of moisture as well as the cleaning lube mentioned.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Get the 416's... I always adjust the air pressure on mine (to compensate for carrying a passenger), and find it essential.

I've never heard of an air compressor going bad, so that's a non-issue with this decision.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 416 have internal springs where the stock air shock does not have the spring.

Just remember to service the compressor decadent beads(see the how to section) to keep the system free of moisture as well as the cleaning lube mentioned.
Thanx Newday777. Will check it out and make sure I get it right. Thanx for the help!

Bud

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get the 416's... I always adjust the air pressure on mine (to compensate for carrying a passenger), and find it essential.

I've never heard of an air compressor going bad, so that's a non-issue with this decision.
Thanx ALEX BERECZKY. I felt the same way, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't off base.

Bud

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You are welcome Bud.

Sent from my LS670 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Your welcome. You'll find many more tutorials here that have been done by some of the most knowledgeable members that know these bikes inside out.
I've done ALL the maintenance/upgrades on my 97' Aspy using this forum :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.