Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Jason... I've noticed that there is a mountain of information on the message board that is priceless. It's all the technical information that's been accumulated over time for all the GW's since the beginning of Steve's site. I've had to drill down in the messages to find answers to situations encountered and found what I need. I'm sure others have also..

Can a section be setup forONLY the technical info we search for on this site? It would include links, specs, repair items andSPECIFIC information on GWs possibly by year & model.. Example: Engine runs rough on 86 Aspy.

1986 Aspencade / Performance / Carburetor / Balancing; See Jason message dated 2/10/2004.

Itwould take some time tosearch thru all the messages and months of data that's been entered, but I feel it would be invaluable to those of us that perform our own maintenance. Not everyone out there has the maintenance manual to refer to, and of course, there are always problems not listed in any manual that this board has found fixes for... We've got the talent, knowledge and experience to maintain all the GW's, and it would be an asset to us all to have that information at our fingertips..Any suggestions??

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

This would be an excellent idea. :jumper:The power to do this is in the hands of The Wingnut. :action: Im sure if he can find the time he will organise it. :clapper:

:waving: :18red: :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I don't know if thats a good idea Renegade. Practically all the posts here are technical anyway, so why bother making a tech forum as well. I've just scrolled down the first page of topics here and out of the 40 most recent topics, only 2 were not technical. Also visiting other forums reveals to me that posters rarely ever stay on topic anyway. Steve has the main forum called General, perhaps just change it to Tech, then make another one forGeneraland leave it at that? If most of the topics were general small talk I would say give it a different forum, but as probably 95% is techniccal it might be a shame to change it.

Another observation is that you really only need to split into loads of sub forums on major busy boards (usually USA ones that get millions of US visitors) so it makes it easier to track posts without having to scroll down forever. Having to go back and forth to sub-forums is not my favourite way of reading posts, it's nice to be able to read through them all in one spot.

All that is just my two cents worth of course, others will agree with you.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Jason made a good point, just rename the General forum (this one) to Tecnical, theres already a Events forum. Too many small forums might result in lesser posts if some people are shy of posting anyway.

Remember Frits from the Nethlands? He did this with his forum (split it into different areas for the 1200, 1500, 1800 etc) and it didn't work out. then of course he sold out to EBay.

My advice is keep it simple, like it is now. It's a great forum that can only get better because there are some very Goldwing savvy people using it. People like Jason & Skooter & Renegade and others always come up with the answers.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:Steve has the main forum called General, perhaps just change it to Tech, then make another one forGeneraland leave it at that? If most of the topics were general small talk I would say give it a different forum.

This is what I meant in my previous post. :action: Some members may want to post off topic :waving: this would give them the opportunity to ramble for a while :gunhead: without the fear of annoying other members. :clapper:Thats just my 2euro worth. :crying:

:waving: :18red: :18red: :waving:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
This is what I meant in my previous post. :action: Some members may want to post off topic :waving: this would give them the opportunity to ramble for a while :gunhead: without the fear of annoying other members.
That sounds reasonable. Iknow Steve and can't see himspending hours or days trawling through old posts to catalog them into slots. The whole point of him setting up a forum was so we would leave him alone in the first place and get him away from the PC and away from answering e-mails!
The search feature seems to work very well here and it's very fast as well. I'd say you would probably get the results you need form there.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It should be a "read only" reference box with just "tech tips", and no dialog. Sort of like a quick reference sheet. Nothing but specifics. No chatting or off tech discussion..The forum board isperfect for that. If done, someone would have to go thru the postings and surgically remove the data pertaining to the specific technical questionsand problems listed.. Let's say I have a GL1100 that is flooding out when cold. I could go to the tech sheet, find all GL1100 information and read a solution. No chatting or anything that would take away from the user investigating a solution to his / her problem.. No time lost waiting for someone to respond, (although, I've gotten responses within minutes). Suggestions???????

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Renegade wrote:
If done, someone would have to go thru the postings and surgically remove the data pertaining to the specific technical questions...
That would be a lot of work Renegade and it wouldn't stop there. The surgeon would have to do this every week or so as new posts were added, so as to keep things updated. Would this not be just likebasically duplicating the posts and putting them in a read only area?
Another problem would be you would still have to scroll downthe read-only posts anyway and eventually someone else would ask for them posts to be put into another read-only area with different parameters, when the post numbers got big enough in the read-only area.

I have to say that the search facility here is first-class and very fast anyway. It does me fine, although I can see where you are coming from as well.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I've just renamed this areathe Goldwing Technical Forum and have made a new one (General Discussion)for general ramblings (specially for you Redwing!:action:). I've read Renegades suggestion and it sounds good, but I have to say it's a lot of work and I can't see it happening anytime soon. I had a quick confer with the forum supplier and he doesn't see an easy way of doing this, he reckons that it would be just another way of using the search facility, except it would be read-only.
I don't want to provide seperate forums for the GL1000, 1100, 1200 etc... it's not a popular option from what I've found asking other forum managers and is really more suited for boards that get huge numbers (as someone else pointed out) of posts as having just one area on a very busy board soon sees the topic numbers getting too hard to wade through unlesss you visit daily.
Paul is correct about the forum initially being a way for you good folk to ask one another questions, all those questions used to be directed my way in e-mails! It's worked out well and gives me more time away from the computer (these things really don't do family life much good) to spend with my son. God knows he may have little enough time for his old dad when he discovers girls, music, booze etc in a few years!
Thanks for getting the topic started though Renegade, I had realized that most posts here in this actual forumwere tech ones and had intended to get around to renaming it, so you've spurred me into doing it tonight.

Ijust moved a few off-topic posts into the new forum to get you all started, any bets on who will be first to post in it?
Out of the 1900+ posts, I only found less than 50 that I would consider off-topic fora tech forum, so renaming the old General forum to Technical does make sense. At the start I wasn't sure what way it would go so I let things ride as they were.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

As always, my hat is off to all of you.. Thanks for the quick and detailed replys with plenty of explaination. It's one of the main reasons I enjoy this site along with the sincerity you all show. No other information sourcein our hobby tops this site and I hope it lasts forever..

By the way, my wife recently returned from Dublin and said it rained the whole week she was visiting relatives.... She also said it rained the week before too.. Do you ever get to see the sun on that side of the pond??? :D

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
I've just renamed this areathe Goldwing Technical Forum and have made a new one (General Discussion)for general ramblings (specially for you Redwing!:action:). I've read Renegades suggestion and it sounds good, It's worked out well and gives me more time away from the computer (these things really don't do family life much good) to spend with my son. God knows he may have little enough time for his old dad when he discovers girls, music, booze etc in a few years!so you've spurred me into doing it tonight.
This is a good idea wingnut The only mistake you made, is that you should have named it, "Redwing Discussion" :cheeky1:The :waving:young master :waving:should be encouraged when the time is right to get involved with the girls, music, etc. but just like his Dad No Booze and No Drugs. :gunhead:

:clapper: :18red: :clapper:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

Renegade wrote:
As always, my hat is off to all of you.. Thanks for the quick and detailed replys with plenty of explaination. It's one of the main reasons I enjoy this site along with the sincerity you all show. No other information sourcein our hobby tops this site and I hope it lasts forever..
In the time I have been member here the forum is maturing very well. There are some very enthusiast Goldwing owners here who their knowledge like to share when probelems with our Goldwings happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.